The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Prices for Used County Saddles (Stabilizer, Innovation, other jump models)

Straightforward question here. I really want to consider the County saddles as my next saddle as I've been on an unending quest for something that actually fits me and puts my leg in the correct position, and I've heard great reviews of all their saddles. But you don't see many used ones for sale (I'll take that as a good sign, people don't want to get rid of them?). Can I get a range of prices I would expect to pay for a used one, of course it will depend on the individual saddle too, but maybe a low end people have seen and up?

Thanks.

I was looking for a Conquest or Innovation and I couldn't find a used one less than $2700. I ended up special ordering a Black Country from the UK (the exchange rate is very good right now!) because they are just as good (if not better in my personal opinion) quality as County and fully customizeable in most areas that is completely included in the price. Good luck finding a used County. They are few and far between! There's a couple on Ebay right now; but either in extra narrow or wide!

$1500-$2500

I bought a nearly new County Stabilizer in a 17.5 wide/skid row with front and rear blocks but the cheaper leather for $2000. You will pay less for one that is a not so popular size or a little more used, a little more for nicer leather or and XTR, etc.

I'd be curious to know how much the Innovations are selling for. I have one that I need to put on ebay this week, but honestly didn't know where to start the pricing. They are great saddles, I hate to part with mine!
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish."

GraySmoke Guest

2000-3000
    I have a Stabilizer and LOVE it! You can also get some "demo" model saddles from County reps and fitters...all it means is that it has sat on a horse at a saddle fitting before, not used - it just has been out of the cover once or twice...usually for a lower price.
    PM me if you want and I can give you the contact info for the dealer/fitter that I have used.

If you don't mind an older model, the Pro Fit is EXTREMELY reasonable and has just as nice quality, for MUCH less. Most Pro Fit's have the stabilizer Spring Tree as well. Omit some bells and whistles, but still a great saddle, we have a couple. The Stabilzer is of course just LOVELY, but hard to find used.

County's hold up VERY well if taken care of (which is why they are hard to find used).

I'd check out Ebay as especially now, with the economy the way it is, saddles are generally selling for less than what they are worth. Tack stores are still a bit high, but private sellers and Ebay are pretty reasonable currently.

Good luck!
    "There is dignity in lightness, truth in patience,
    but only ignorance in force"... www.cedarpinefarm.com

CAJumper: There is an Innovation on Ebay right now for $2700; it's the XTR leather, XN tree. I was talking to her before she listed it and she paid $3750 and it's hardly used. That saddle is still so new it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find it used!! (Especially used enought that I could have afforded it!!)

Hi
    I have a county stabalizer myself that i bought halfway through last show season. I really like the saddle however it is too big for me its a 17 and i could really use a 16.5. [edit]
    Last edited by admin; Apr. 7, 2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: to remove advertising

I just bought a 17" medium, County, Stabilzer from EBay in Sept. for 1535.00 and I love it. It did need to be adjusted to fit my DWB (reflocked) but that only cost me 125.00. Check Ebay they had quite a few. The only problem is that if it didn't fit me or my horse I would of had to resell it. I took the chance because I was told that County's are in high demand and now I know why!

I have a 16.5" Stabilizer that I bought used (but in EXCELLENT condition) for $1650. It is a basic stabilizer--regular flap, regular leather, no blocks, regular panels. You will love your County!

Quote Originally Posted by BSFKimbees View Post
    If you don't mind an older model, the Pro Fit is EXTREMELY reasonable and has just as nice quality, for MUCH less. Most Pro Fit's have the stabilizer Spring Tree as well. Omit some bells and whistles, but still a great saddle, we have a couple. The Stabilzer is of course just LOVELY, but hard to find used.
    You can find some good deals on a Pro Fit, and it is a very nice saddle. I happened upon one buried under a bunch of saddles in a walking horse tack shop. Like brand new, common size, only $600. Immediately called my friend who was saddle shopping to see if she wanted me to pick it up for her. Sealed that deal. Great saddle.

Oooo this is good news since I'm considering selling my stabilizer!

There's quite a few County's on tacktrader.com
    I tried to find a used one a while ago but gave up and called my county rep to get a new one. Just waiting for Dec 19th

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping to spend about $2,500 max so I think if I keep my eyes open that sounds doable. I'm not very picky about the leather. It can be older as long as still in good shape and well cared for, and honestly after so much trouble trying to find something that fits I'm more concerned with the fit than all the aesthetics. Only problem is I'm in Canada and my closest County rep is in the next province!

Just for a little extra help in narrowing down what I actually need from them so I can hopefully take an appropriate one on demo at least, can anyone tell me how the Innovation, Conquest and Pro-fit differ from the Stabilizer? I test rode in a Stabilizer in the past but stupidly turned away from it immediately because it wasn't what I was used to. More shallow in the seat, wider in the twist from what I remember. But I didn't give it a chance to see that the balance probably makes up for that. Also, for the flap sizes, I'm longish in the thigh, not sure where you're supposed to measure that but I'm 16 inches on my inseam from crotch to exactly where the knee creases as it bends. However, my leg does not generally sit forward with a lot of bend in the knee, and I don't like the feel of an extremely forward flap. Anyone have a similar conformation and can recommend what they found worked?

Thanks!

Call County and get the name of your local rep and see what deals they have right now as I think many of the demo saddles are on sale - the reps talk to each other when someone is looking for something so that if your rep does not have it another may. A lady in our barn got a really nice Stabilizer XTR that fits her horse perfectly by our local rep asking others what they had used and she found one for her, did some minor reflocking and they have been good to go ever since.

I originally had the Innovation which was very comfortable on the flat (and put my leg in a good place) but was way too deep for me over fences. My horse is built uphill to begin with and is a push ride, so I found the depth of the Innovation a problem. Also, it tends to have a more forward balance than the Stabilizer. I am waiting for my new Stabilizer which should be here any day. I really like a flat saddle and even though I have a longer thigh (I am 5'8") I do not prefer too forward of a flap.
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

boswell13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sobriquet View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'm hoping to spend about $2,500 max so I think if I keep my eyes open that sounds doable. I'm not very picky about the leather. It can be older as long as still in good shape and well cared for, and honestly after so much trouble trying to find something that fits I'm more concerned with the fit than all the aesthetics. Only problem is I'm in Canada and my closest County rep is in the next province!

Just for a little extra help in narrowing down what I actually need from them so I can hopefully take an appropriate one on demo at least, can anyone tell me how the Innovation, Conquest and Pro-fit differ from the Stabilizer? I test rode in a Stabilizer in the past but stupidly turned away from it immediately because it wasn't what I was used to. More shallow in the seat, wider in the twist from what I remember. But I didn't give it a chance to see that the balance probably makes up for that. Also, for the flap sizes, I'm longish in the thigh, not sure where you're supposed to measure that but I'm 16 inches on my inseam from crotch to exactly where the knee creases as it bends. However, my leg does not generally sit forward with a lot of bend in the knee, and I don't like the feel of an extremely forward flap. Anyone have a similar conformation and can recommend what they found worked?

Thanks!
    [edit]
    Last edited by admin; Apr. 7, 2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: to remove advertising

Boswell and others who offered specific saddles for sale, I should mention I need a 17.5 med tree in most saddles. I have contacted the local rep again to get another demo and once I figure out for sure what model and size suits me best I will be in a better place to move on what I need. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sobriquet View Post

Thanks!
    I would definitely recommend the Stabilizer then!! I also have a similiar conformation and my knee does not naturally have a lot of bend and I definitely did not need a forward type flap, I tried the Innovation but the flap was cut too forward, I also tried the Stabilizer XTR (more of a forward flap), but again the standard Stabilizer was the best fit for me! You sound the same as me so I say look for that one!

I just got a new Stabilizer about 2 1/2 weeks ago (I just posted a thread with pics on here), so far I am enjoying it, I have had some adjustment due to being so used to my other saddle.
    Caught by a Flash -Equine Photography

East Coast Jumps -Custom Wood Horse Jumps

[edit]
    Last edited by admin; Apr. 7, 2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: to remove advertising