The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default hair loss around eyes?

I think this is a vitamin deficiency, yes? One of the girls is loosing hair around her eyes, sigh ... anyone have any experience with this?
    Thanks

I think this could also be a sign of a parasitic infection, but regular womers usually take care of this.

Another, but much more remote possibility is selenium toxicity and I'd think you'd see hairloss in other areas too.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    I think this could also be a sign of a parasitic infection, but regular womers usually take care of this.

Yeah, she's on a rotational worming schedule. She' been my problem child this year ...

Did you read the discussion on thread worms we had going on a few months ago?

If it is parasites, sometimes rotational worming is not enough.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Could she possibly be rubbing her eyes on the insides of her knees? This could be a sign of allergies.

Is it definitely hair loss, or perhaps loss of pigment? I *think* that loss of pigment around the eyes indicates a copper deficiency. I will try to corroborate that and will post back here if/when I do -- until then, don't go by me, I may be misremembering!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Check with your vet. Might be a sign of a thyroid problem. If horses respond like dogs do to hypothyroidism, you might notice a loss of hair along the flanks, darker pigmentation around the face, increased weight gain, and lethargy.

A former client had a mare with this condition as well and I dont know what tests they ran on the mare but they determined it was a potassium deficiency that was causing it and gave her potassium supplements

It did look very weird - almost like the Appy mottling on a dark bay face ... and just around the eyes and that was it

Is she an Arab? There is a syndrome that might be found mainly in arabs. My old girl has something like that . Her vet did say copper and to add a few copper pennies or a piece of copper pipe to her water bucket.

yes it can be normally copper or zinc deficency it can also be secondary conjuntivitis and uv as eyes tend to get sore in winter and in summer if they keep running you need a vet either way
    if its eyes then dont muck about get serious and get the problem sorted via vet asap
    it can also be due to worm infestation so worm the horse now

Default Hair loss around eyes - Chestnut?

Our chestnut quarter pony mare loses hair around her eyes every summer when the heat gets intense. It always grows back, but it's seasonal with her. After years of fussing over it and doing skin scrapings, we've come to realize it's not dietary or fungal/parasitic, just something that lots of chestnuts do yearly.

My Arab has something like this (face hair loss, blurry vision). I saw it in the summer, had the vet check his vision. Nothing per vet. Nothing per BO (this is a rehab barn). But saw him Friday and took him out for a hand walk, and his eyes watered. I looked hard and his skin color looks a little mottled, skin color changing around lips (besides the loss of face hair and watering eyes).
    He has that look like he's not seeing clearly.
    I find it so irritating that I notice something and am poo-poohed by experts and vets and then it gets worse.
    What is it about me that I can't assert myself with this stuff?
    argh. So previous poster what is it that occurs in Arabs specifically ?
    TIA

Lice can cause hair loss around the eyes, they go there to drink. ick.

Have blood work done to rule out deficencies.

Well, she is a bay sabino TWH. Has blood work done every three months for the past year due to kidney issues. That has been normal the past two times. Her eyes are clear and bright. She doesn't have lice, I have a small closed herd, newest addition was four years ago. Her coat is soft and fuzzy, shiney and dappled, her energy is good, almost too good ... so, I am sending off a hair sample to Uckele to do a mineral analysis of her diet, to see if it is a deficiency. I kind of remember that this is a symptom of that? My vet is coming out in two weeks for a chiro appt and I will have him check it out also.

Such a mystery ... It really does not seem to bother her, just me.