The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 293
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr. 7, 2005
    Location
    With a dog named Rockstar
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Nearly 4 years later, 900 pages of proof that horse slaughter was not humane in US...

    It has taken almost FOUR YEARS to get these documents under the Freedom of Information Act!
    I have met "Animal Angels" and can promise they are compriosed of wonderful people.
    They are trying to get this out to the Associated Press. Please help spread the word to your media, if you are interested.

    Bluey and County, will you look through the 900 pages of facts and photos THEN tell me what you think?

    http://www.animals-angels.com/index....link:linkID=48

    HORSE TRANSPORT VIOLATIONS DOCUMENTED AT THE BELTEX PLANT IN TEXAS

    While the pro-horse slaughter lobby continues to lobby for the domestic slaughter of horses, railing that transportation and slaughter of horses inside the United States was humane, Animals' Angels recent investigations and evidence collected expose this rhetoric as nothing but disingenuous talk:
    - Animals' Angels received over 900 pages of documents and photographs from the United States Department of Agriculture taken during 2005 at the Beltex horse slaughter plant in Texas. Hundreds of photographs graphically show horses with open fractures, legs missing, battered and bloody faces, eyeballs dangling and what appears to be horses left bleeding to death. The document provides unimpeachable evidence for the immediate ban on the slaughter of American horses.


    - > Watch the video (WARNING-GRAPHIC CONTENT!)-

    Read the original FOIA documents (WARNING-GRAPHIC CONTENT!):

    > PART II
    > PART III
    > PART IV
    > PART V
    > PART VI
    >



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 7, 2005
    Location
    With a dog named Rockstar
    Posts
    2,997

    Default

    So I looked through as many of the documents that I had time.

    This is why I do what I do. I am a horse lover, and not a fan of PETA. The cruelty our horses sustain en route to, and at slaughter, is barbaric. Can you look at the photos FROM THE USDA and tell me this is acceptable?

    Foals being slaughtered. Broken legs. Blidness. One horse broke it's back leg in transport and it was found dead in the truck, with the distal end of the limb SEVERED.

    I work in the vet field. I have seen some crazy things. But those photos are well beyond the scope of insane.

    The horses were all purposely bred. Most were in good weight with trimmed hooves. Some had halters and wraps on. Make horse slaughter illegal, enforce it, and these people will have to take responsiblity for what is their's. It won't be easy. But change is never easy.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 17, 2008
    Location
    Trails and woods
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    No comment. This situation will not be resolved here.

    Interesting link!



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun. 4, 2002
    Location
    The hollers of WV
    Posts
    16,685

    Default

    That video is hard to watch but everyone here should do so. Extremely disturbing...and this was when the transport was done within our own borders and supposedly heavily regulated....which seems doubtful that regs were being enforced any if at all.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan. 30, 2007
    Posts
    3,228

    Default

    Nauseating.....and I am not able to open the pics, but my imagination fills in the gaps.
    Hearing about the horses in wraps....how many of those owners truly DID think they might get bought by a caring home? Maybe some people are naïve enough to think that a good looking, fit young horse has a prayer. Yes, thank the Divine that some land on their feet (which is a comment my "big" gelding's former trainer made to my gelding when I ended up with him- in a few short months he had lost a good 200 lbs in other hands)...but I digress. We hear about horses in the slaughter pen who are freshly groomed, clipped, ribboned, manes pulled. We see things like Fugly's posting of a 3-in-1 package of a mare with foal at side, in foal, for $100. Why in Christ's name are you still breeding these horses, who are not halter broke, not handled, not quality stock? Having the RIGHT to breed HAS to come with some responsibilities, no?
    Where the $(% are we going wrong?
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    51,449

    Default

    Since you asked, I will comment.
    Abuse happens where abuse happens and that we all agree is terrible.


    As a vet student, you from all people should know that horse slaughter is the most regulated of all slaughter, with regulations and laws against what you say was happening.
    I won't go read and look at pictures, don't need to, you describe it clearly enough.

    Again, I will repeat, why close slaughter, because someone, sometime abused a horse in that process?
    In general, those were rare cases, that should not have happened, you are right there, I am incensed if that did happen some times, but in the regular way they conducted business, that didn't happen but RARELY, you ought to undestand that.

    Do we need to ban driving because people drive drunk?

    As long as all you have against slaughter is that some sometimes abuse horses thru that process, so lets ban it, the same can be said for ANYTHING we do wtih horses or any other animals, because someone, sometime, can and are abusive.
    People are abusive to people, should be just eliminate the whole race, just because many are abusing other people?

    THAT is what my point is, that we need to keep improving the world we live in, all should work for that.

    But, think hard on this, why ban anything just because of some going wrong in the process, when much goes right and the process is a service, slaughter about using one more of our aboundant, renewable resources?

    I have been there, in Europe, when we took an old school horse to be euthanized at the slaughterhouse.
    It was an honor to be designated to be the one to take the horse and see that he was looking it's best, petted, scratched, given treats and a nice send off.
    It was considered terrible animal husbandry to wait until the horse was on it's last legs to do that.
    Of course, if a horse got sick or injured and was terminal, he was euthanized in place, not taken to the slaughterhouse.
    Remember, horses don't know time, only quality of life.

    I KNOW first hand that slaughter is inherently NOT inhumane, how people conduct themselves can be inhumane, in ANYTHING we may do, including sometimes in the slaughter process.
    Puzzling that some deny our society what we can get out of that process, just because some abuse the process.

    I will say those animal rights followers are working on the wrong end of problems and all of us will eventually lose our proper use of horses because of people like them and you, that can't separate good care from abuse and see the world only thru a very narrow window and refuse to think about the logic of their actions.

    I hope that you are printing some of these discussions, storing them in an old sock droor and ten, twenty years from now reread them, once you have been alive a little longer and in the workforce as a vet and then come back and tell us where you stand on what is inhumane and why.
    I expect your horizons will have expanded greatly, or sure hope so, no matter where you stand in the issues that will be salient then.
    Happens to all of us, if we are lucky enough to live long.

    Right now, we will just have to continue to agree to disagree with each other.



  7. #7

    Default

    This group is outstanding. It should be pointed out that Animals Angels is concerned about the humane treatment of ALL slaughter animals. And they eat meat so no vegan argument there.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

    Ponies are cool!



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    51,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by equinelaundry View Post
    This group is outstanding. It should be pointed out that Animals Angels is concerned about the humane treatment of ALL slaughter animals. And they eat meat so no vegan argument there.
    Remember that you can do a hatchet job to tar any one we do, including in our interaction with animals, be it training, at shows, eventing, racing, endurance, trail riding, even in rescues, you can take pictures of starving horses and say it is the rescues fault that they are skinny, anything, if you wait long enough until you get the pictures or stories you are after or someone does something wrong and then take that out of context for your story.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    4,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Remember that you can do a hatchet job to tar any one we do, ..................

    , if you wait long enough until you get the pictures or stories you are after or someone does something wrong and then take that out of context for your story.
    So I guess the USDA just recorded these 900 Beltex pictures so we can use them to make up some barberic stories about transport and slaughter violations. I suppose they are now in bed with the anti-slaughter side?

    ************************
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun. 4, 2002
    Location
    The hollers of WV
    Posts
    16,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    As a vet student, you from all people should know that horse slaughter is the most regulated of all slaughter, with regulations and laws against what you say was happening.
    I won't go read and look at pictures, don't need to, you describe it clearly enough.
    Why not look. Afraid you might find out that what you've been holding as a truth...that abuse is rare...is actually quite common? You should look...everyone should. Go to the investigations page on that site and just look at the number of auctions and feed lots these people visit and the abuses they've documented. I dare you. Abuse in the meat industry for all animals is quite common and if horse slaughter is so regulated...why is there so much abuse going unpunished?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Again, I will repeat, why close slaughter, because someone, sometime abused a horse in that process?
    In general, those were rare cases, that should not have happened, you are right there, I am incensed if that did happen some times, but in the regular way they conducted business, that didn't happen but RARELY, you ought to undestand that.
    Again, you maintain that it is "rare" for abuse to happen. Go look at the unbelievable numbers of pics/violations from only an 11 month period at ONE slaughterhouse...Beltex....over 906. That is almost 3 a day. Rare? Not sure how you define rare but that is a hell of a lot of violations considering that they probably don't unload trucks 365 days a year.

    Until that sort of crap could ever be cleaned up how can anyone justify keeping it legal?



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    4,974

    Default

    And bluey, I suppose the following document was also "fabricated" by the USDA to entertain some readers:

    [SIZE=3]http://www.kaufmanzoning.net/nov24/Baker081001_AQ_08-0074_dd.pdf[/SIZE]

    ************************
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    51,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    So I guess the USDA just recorded these 500 Beltex pictures so we can use them to make up some barberic stories about transport and slaughter violations. I suppose they are now in bed with the anti-slaughter side?
    No, but that above is a good example of taking words out of context.

    I was talking about how anyone could, using those pictures and breaks of regulations, try to make a case that such is the norm, when I know it was not and that they were working to try to eliminate such things from happening.
    Were they always succesful? No.

    They did have continuous video cameras running, foremen and inspectors and people were cited and punished and fined and fired when such occurred, which is the PURPOSE of those citations, to avoid such happening, right?

    Have you seen someone after their class run out of the ring mad at their horse and yank and hit their horse, because they were mad?
    Could you have a steward give that person a citation for that and then go to some animal right site and show that as "what all show riders do, those terrible people?"

    That would be taking things out of context with those citations mentioned at Beltex.
    They were part of the process to make the process better, as calling a steward at the show when you see someone beating a horse would be.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    an old sock droor
    A what? hahahahaha I don't regret reading this thread. Thanks Bluey that's the first I've seen that.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    51,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    And bluey, I suppose the following document was also "fabricated" by the USDA to entertain some readers:

    [SIZE=3]http://www.kaufmanzoning.net/nov24/Baker081001_AQ_08-0074_dd.pdf[/SIZE]

    So, did you read that?
    What are you trying to say bringing that up?

    All I can see is someone breaking laws being called to defend themselves and being imposed some fines.
    The system was working, the bad apples were caught and handled according to the laws pertinent to the situation.

    That is what is supposed to happen, no?



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    They did have continuous video cameras running, foremen and inspectors and people were cited and punished and fined and fired when such occurred, which is the PURPOSE of those citations, to avoid such happening, right?
    Ok, to be constructive, I think the whole problem is that most if not all of the people committing these acts don't care if the horse's eyeball is hanging out, don't care if the leg is broken. Thus the misery and torture.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    4,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    They were part of the process to make the process better
    Considering that Beltex opened in 1976 and these pix were taken in 2005, how do you call this improvement of the process almost 20 years later?

    ************************
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    51,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chaltagor View Post
    A what? hahahahaha I don't regret reading this thread. Thanks Bluey that's the first I've seen that.
    Well, how do you spell those cabinet thingies you pull out and stick your undewear in?
    It sounds like I wrote it, guess that, like the time I told my partner at Skip-Bo cards to play her ace, pronounced like a donkey's behind.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    16,701

    Default

    Drawer
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Well, how do you spell those cabinet thingies you pull out and stick your undewear in?
    It sounds like I wrote it, guess that, like the time I told my partner at Skip-Bo cards to play her ace, pronounced like a donkey's behind.
    It's a hard one for people to get, usually you see "draw" but I've never seen droor! lol. Its drawer. Wonky word.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    51,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Considering that Beltex opened in 1976 and these pix were taken in 2005, how do you call this improvement of the process almost 20 years later?
    Well, good question, but I sure don't know how to answer it and guessing is just that, a guess only.

    Ever work in manufacturing? Tehre is stuff going wrong here and there and the processes are not perfect, just as close to perfect as can be made.

    Why all the furor now, when the plants are closed?
    Why not working at trying to make it better while it was open?
    Why such a sorrily worded bill to ban slaughter?

    Just think about that. I think that because the slaughter issue has been such a superior money maker for certain organizations that they didn't want the issue, the goose that was laying such golden eggs, to go away.

    As of now, what the plants where or not doing is moot question.
    How about working on the gathering and shipping to other countries, see that such is done as per regulations?

    That is what people should work on, if they really have the horse's best in mind, are not just grandstanding.



Similar Threads

  1. Pan Am Facebook Horse Pages!
    By GPFAN in forum Dressage
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Oct. 12, 2011, 04:34 PM
  2. What horse years equal in human years?
    By Blonde Filly in forum Off Course
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jul. 5, 2011, 03:13 PM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last Post: Mar. 8, 2010, 06:47 PM
  4. Replies: 151
    Last Post: Feb. 14, 2004, 05:56 AM
  5. Replies: 117
    Last Post: Apr. 10, 2002, 11:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness