The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I am grateful for.....

Ok...I know it's sappy but what are the holidays for? I am grateful to COTH for the forum ......(kind of like being grateful to your dealer for the meth). I am grateful for a sport that I am passionate about......for the people I meet who share the sport.....for my horses that are all currently sound......for my own current state of soundness. Well, that's a start.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!! Going to barn to make my boys a bran mash. What are you thankful for?

My health, my husband and my son. . .

along with our vet, our chiropractor, the wierd body guy, the farrier and the massage therapist who have all contributed to a miraculous recovery from a very serious injury. Yesterday's ride was the proof in the pudding!!

My son's trainer for always keeping him focused, headed in the right direction and giving him terrific opportunities to evolve and expand his horsemanship.

The wonderful people I have met in this sport, along with the few whack jobs who make you appreciate the wonderful people even more.

I am also grateful for my health. Last year on Thanksgiving Day my hair started falling out in handfuls. Now I have cute short curly hair!
    I am so grateful for my spoiled rotten Princess. She walked my sickly self around the ring last year when that was all I could do, and this fall we have done two events, which she won! She is everything to me. I have been eventing for 31 years and I still love it!

My friends, my dogs, my health, and a President-elect that we can be proud of!

I am so very thankful for my husband, without whom I could not have achieved what I did this year; my sons and grandson; all of my animal friends; Tess, my once in a lifetime horse; the eventing community and all of the new friends that I made this year, after I moved to Summer Hill Training Center.

Thank God Shea's mom is on the recovery road....that puts life in perspective. I had to add a few to my list....warm Pecan pie.....foot warmer things that last 6 hours......Turner Classic Movie channel......

I'm grateful for my SO, for the rest of my family, my great friend Westlaw, my critters, and my job that is secure enough (knock hard on wood) that I can afford to ride and event Ms. KatyBug. I would have been happy with a horse who had a saintly demeanor, a gerbil stride, and conformation like Mr. Potato Head. Instead, I have Katy, who gives pony rides to toddlers, and who is also beautiful and athletic.

Ok, I'll stop gushing now....
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Well, I have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. After me and my leased horse being layed up since beginning of July, dealing with lyme desease and soundness problems, absolutely out of the blue, completely amazingly, a wonderful horse landed on my lap who I absolutely suprizingly could afford to buy! It all happened so fast, and so many stars just majically aligned for this to happen, it made my head spin! I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will take me to many shows in the future; So far, I've been able to make it only to 2 horse trials in last 2.5 years! I am really thankful for this opportunity!

Peaceful winter days with the horses: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...dEg6ApVRiHrZuA
    Proud member of the EDRF

My friends, the coaches who are trying to get me back to competing again, my dawg, Blue. But MOST OF ALL to Area 3 Adult Riders who came to my rescue. One, I have been leased a wonderful horse (now if I could learn to ride him) when this man and wife learned of me losing my Spot pony earlier this year. And two, another AR moved and I was able to buy her newer (to me) F350, so now I have a reliable vehicle so I can go for lessons without worrying if I'll get home. So I'm the first to say that Area 3 Adult Riders ROCK!

Cody

Good horses, good friends...

[And my dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, microwave oven...and wheelbarrows.]

Granted, I could probably continue to exist without those last five.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

I'm thankful for my wonderful family, a job a love which allows me the flexibility and means to do what I've wanted to to since I was nine: start eventing! I'm thankful for a really patient horse, really patient instructors, and a good truck and trailer to travel the 6-12 hours I need to travel to event. I'm thankful to other adult riders who understand what it's like to want to do something well that is hard and unfamiliar.

And, since I live in a pecan orchard, the yummy nuts and my Aunt Nora's pecan pie recipe. I wish I could give some to all of you. Happy Holidays!

In no particular order:

My friends, who give me hugs or kicks in the a$$ depending on which is needed; my trainer who has the widom and patience of a saint; the barn guys who help me out when I do something stupid with my trailer, like yesterday; my horse, who tries to do what I ask him, even if I am not clear; and my dad for all he is and does, and for loving my mom with all his heart until she died 2 years ago.

I am grateful to be walking, able to ride, to clean stalls, to pitch hay - all those things we take so much for granted...
    Everything else is just icing on the cake

I'm thankful for quite a lot, but to attempt to stay on topic... I'll give the horse related things.

I'm grateful for BOs that let my horses live in their backyard so they can be out 24/7. I'm grateful that they put up with my horse rubbing out a window or kicking out a wall of his run-in. I'm very grateful they don't mind me waking up the dogs at 4am when I leave for an event. They put up with my horses' quirks, and plenty of my own. On top of it all, they are more than willing to let me crash on the couch after a long trip so I don't have to drive the hour home, exhausted.

I'm very grateful for good people I board with that are supportive and lend an ear when I need one. Hopefully, I can do the same for them.

I'm grateful for a coach that works with my horses instead of against them and has helped me through quite a lot of road bumps and mental blocks. Her patience does not go unnoticed.

I'm grateful to any horse I've ever ridden. They've all taught me something.

And most importantly:
    I'm very grateful to my horses. They tolerate a lot of nonsense from me, and I a bit from them. I can only hope that I listen to them enough and provide them the assistance they need to do the jobs I put in front of them. I'm very grateful that Spot tries to jump from any spot I put him at and does not melt down when faced with new things. I'm grateful for the patience Heidi has taught me and for her loyalty, despite any "mare-ish" arguments we have, when it comes down to it. I could not ask for any more from either of them. For what they lack, they try their damnedest to achieve.
    ~T3DE 2010 Pact Clique~