The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Jumper people, who to breed my Hano mare to?

She's a solid, old style mare....not exceptionally tall (16hh) but big and stout. Ideally I would like to improve her croup and the length of her pasterns. She is very level headed and has a sweet temperament. Did some jumper stuff while in Germany (she was still quite young).

She had a super filly this year by Quilot Z (Quickstar/Pilot) and has had 2 other foals by a Lanthan son as well as one by a Fabriano son.

She is by Frappant out of a Willem's As mare.

She is a branded German Hanoverian, this year's filly will have Zangersheide papers.

She has cellulitis in one back leg.....it's not pretty, but that's the way she is

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...cypregtrot.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../Fancypreg.jpg

Here is this year's filly....she was shedding big time!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...lly6weeks3.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...lly6weeks2.jpg
    Last edited by Hawkridge; Nov. 26, 2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling, of course!

Pablo!

I strongly recommend CARDENTO!

For JUMP and the heart never to refuse a jump. .I strongly suggest a Connemara. ANY Connemara, www.acps.org to search available stallions
    Willow Run Connemaras
    Home of: "Willow Boy" (*Chiltern Colm ex *Sillbridge Miranda by Thunderbolt)
    ~Irish Connemara Ponies for Sport and Pleasure~
    www.willowrunconnemaras.com

For Play
    Pablo
    Landkonig
    Federalist
    Sir Caletto
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

I love For Play! http://www.mattangofarms.com/stallions.htm I'm so excited to see what he puts on the ground here in the states - just a few more months to go!

From their website "For Play was imported at the end of 2007 and we expect him to join the national Grand Prix levels and USDF upper level dressage. Prior to being imported For Play was selected and won his 30 day stallion test in Germany. He won by such a margin that he was exempted from the conclusion of the 70 day test so he could stand at the Celle State stud and participate in the jumper breeding program."

Clearly heterozygous black/chestnut, seems to be throwing sabino as well. And he's got such a pedigree..

Embassy I babies are awesome jumpers and beautiful and he is a german hanoverian.
    Das größte Glück der Erde liegt auf dem Rücken der Pferde. Das größte Glück der Pferde ist der Reiter auf der Erde

Landkonig, Pablo, I hear For Play is really nice as well... Landkonig is just incredible and may improve your mare as wanted.
    "There is dignity in lightness, truth in patience,
    but only ignorance in force"... www.cedarpinefarm.com

It might help to state why the poster should use these stallions that you guys are recommending for this particular mare instead of just throwing out names willy nilly.

The OP hasn't even said what dicipline she is breeding for, if she needs to stay within the Hano registry or not.

I would be more concerned with the straight shoulder and trying to strengthen the loin than worrying about the croup and lets try and suggest a stallion that will nick with the bloodlines.

This willy nilly stallion suggestions based on NOTHING does no good.

Pablo is not know for throwing size so he probably wouldn't be my choice for this mare if you want something taller. He does produce good moving beautiful horse though.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Wink

Thanks for the suggestions everyone...I didn't even know about For Play until today....nice boy.

Pablo is strong on my list.

As for what I am looking to produce, that's a tough one....if you break down her bloodlines she isn't strongly bred either way (dressage or jumper) as her sire's indexes for both are pretty even. Her damsire seems to be more on the dressage side.

So, given that, I am not sure if trying to produce a hard-core jumper should be my goal. THe colt she had by the Fabriano son is excelling as a hunter and this year's filly 'looks' to be more of a jumper (although she's still way too young to really tell).

Ideally I would want a foal that will have German Hanoverian papers.

Color/chrome doesn't matter to me at all (I actually like plain chestnuts ) but if I was to think about selling this foal in-utero, I would have to realize that most people tend to like the bling and the non-chestnut.

So for sure her croup/loin area needs some lengthening.

I will have to look up Cardento...don't know much about him. Landkonig is also one I will look at.

Oh, and although I do loff Connamaras.....I like them on their own, straight up. I have seen some nice crosses in the past though

Editing to add: Holy COW....Embassy I is really nice.

Landfriese II
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Ditto on Landfriese II.

He is very interesting but not mentioned often. Maybe those of us in the peanut gallery need to see some foals?

What's with the cellulitis in that leg? Will it go away? I had a young mare infected like that years ago. Legs briefly like stove pipes. Then it was gone with medication.

Hawkridge, I would suggest you table your breeding goals until you have a better plan of what you are trying to accomplish.

You mention selling in-utero - do you already have a buyer? If not, don't hold your breath as there are lots and lots of foals on the market and the market is very soft right now. Especially for something that is not very purpose bred at the top of the game.

You also mention getting German hano papers - is the mare in Germany? If not, you can get American Hano papers from the AHS here.

You mention Pablo is strong on your list - why? As mentioned your mare is small and Pablo is small.

Again, I think you need to hold off on breeding until you know what you want. I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to make you think more and make a better decision. The way you are going is not the way to approach a good breeding.

Tri - Hawkridge and the mare are in Canada so they would get German Verband papers, not AHS ones.

I would investigate Le Primeur for her. He looks to be a very good all around stallion. His coupling is strong, good angles, nice mover and jumper. If you search here on COTH you should find a few threads about him, with links to addtional photos and video than what a google search will bring.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tri View Post
    Hawkridge, I would suggest you table your breeding goals until you have a better plan of what you are trying to accomplish.

You mention selling in-utero - do you already have a buyer? If not, don't hold your breath as there are lots and lots of foals on the market and the market is very soft right now. Especially for something that is not very purpose bred at the top of the game.

You also mention getting German hano papers - is the mare in Germany? If not, you can get American Hano papers from the AHS here.

You mention Pablo is strong on your list - why? As mentioned your mare is small and Pablo is small.

Again, I think you need to hold off on breeding until you know what you want. I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to make you think more and make a better decision. The way you are going is not the way to approach a good breeding.
    I am only toying with the in-utero idea for now....not a done deal by any means, I am in no hurry to sell (if I do).

As far as Pablo goes, I am not too worried about his hight as the mare tends to throw bigger than her. The Fabriano son was only 16hh and the resulting foal, now going on 5yrs old, is just under 16.2hh. Her colt by the Lanthan son is also bigger. Pablo is also modern, but not too much....and he tends to put nice heads on the foals and my mare has the old style big noggin. He seems to be a proven sire and I like his conformation overall.

It's only November, so I am not rushing into anything just yet and seeing as this mare is not a maiden, I have a pretty good idea what she puts on the ground so far. I am not sure about your 'the way you are going is not the way to approach good breeding' comment...can you clarify (not trying to be an ass, but would really like to know) what you meant by that?

As Pinto WB said, Canada deals directly with Germany in terms of the Hanoverian Verband, not the same as in the US.

Maybe I'll put her to a Gypsy Vanner *kidding*

I thought the AHS inspected in Canada but I've had no dealings so it is interesting to see how they do it.

I'm glad you aren't rushing. There has been a lot of stallions of quite varying types suggested on this thread and you said that you didn't know exactly what you are trying to breed for - that is a recipe for not acheiving anything. IMHO, I think you should have a very good idea of EXACTLY what you are trying to breed for, research it, know which bloodlines acheive it and very strategically make a decision. There should be a REASON you are breeding.

Be careful of adding the heavy pedigrees to your already heavy mare. I personally LOVE Pablo but with that cross you'll be doubled up on Wendekreis and Graphit - both heavy - and adding another heavy horse (Pilot) to the mix...I just wouldn't.

Remember also that jumping capability is more likely to be inherited (scientific term, I know) compared to dressage although it never hurts to get a jumper stallion with sweet moves to at least not negatively affect the offspring's gaits.

IMHO, Cardento's conformation is really nice and his pedigree offers some lightness from Sacramento Song & LadyKiller, Capitol's known rideability, decent movement from Lord and obscenely amazing jumper capability from all of them. He's nice and tall too, so you may get some added height for your girl.

...oh, and he's approved Hanoverian to boot.