The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pal just left for his new home Thanks to AggieDQ for transpo. & Tracy 4 a Home

Photo
    http://home.comcast.net/~trickysplace/Pal.jpg

UPDATEPal is on his way to Grace Ridge farm in NC to his new home Thanks !! to Amber For Sponsoring Pal's transportation and Thanks !! to Tracy for giving Pal a home God Bless you Both

[COLOR="Blue"]UPDATE Tracy at
    Grace Ridge farm in Charlotte,NC has agreed to take Pal If we can get him there HELP PLEASE !!!

Pal is a 5 y/o gelding 15.1-2hh Registered TWH buckskin with black tips , smart, sound , calm , gentle, loads, ties , stands for vet and farrier . has had extensive training, and was hitting a good lick until he lose his eye sight . He has been blind
    for about a year and has adjusted very well . He is excellent with people and bonds instantly . He rides but is a little nervous , no panicing or anything like that, he is just unsure , he needs someone he trust to tell him to, ( step up , step down , turn right, turn left, whoa ) . I know what your thinking, I thought the same thing ( who wants a blind horse) till I went to see him and handled him. Pal will flinch just a little bit when you 1st touch him and then he is fine , he will drop his head right in a halter , leads perfect, very well mannered .
    I was so surprised when I went to load him on the trailer, he muzzled the trailer for maybe a minute and then I ask him to Step Up and he did !!! he reached out with his left foot and found the trailer floor and sounded it and got right in no problem what so ever, I was astonished !!!
    Pal is not spooky at all like you would think a blind horse would be.
    Pal is a very quick learner and good with kids, with the right person could do anything ask of him. He turns out and is quick to make a buddy and once he has found his buddy you only need to hang a little bell on his buddy's halter and Pal is a happy horse !!!!
    Pal was on the euthanize list when I was approached with his situation by his owner, after going and seeing Pal and how well he had adjusted to his blindness, I knew he was to smart and well behaved to let his life end .
    Pal in the right hands could do anything you ask of him ( Dressage, Trail Ride, Western Pleasure ), Whatever you like.
    Pal sees nothing to distract him like sudden movements that spook other horses. Pal trust his handle / rider to know whats best for him and puts himself in his or her hands.
    Pal has his whole life in front of him and will become even more adopt to his condition as time goes on , Pal has excepted his blindness and deals with it exceptionally well .
    There are many sites on the Internet that tell how to train
    a blind horse and of amazing stories of blind horses winning dressage and trail riding, pleasure classes and other sporting events http://www.blindhorses.org/ is one and there are 750,000 more sites if you search Google for blind horses.
    Pal would make someone a wonderful loyal and devoted friend for life.
    I would like to keep Pal for the kids to spoil that come to my farm but that is exactly what he would become "spoiled" to much attention not enough training .
    Pal has the potential to be such a fine horse for someone to be proud of . Pal needs to be on a smaller farm with maybe 2-3 horses ( at least 1 other horse ) and smaller pastures and where he can have a relationship with one person for him to trust and bond with to become the fine horse that he has all the potential to be.
    It is unimaginable what a blind horse can achieve, a blind horse can have an extraordinary life.
    Just as a blind person can use a sighted horse, a sighted person can successfully guide a blind horse, It's all about trust. Pal will trust you if you let him.
    Pal has been at my farm for 2 days and already is beginning to trust me , he has learned where his feed pan is and his water and comes right to me when I go to the corral fence with out calling him , he don't thrash about and bump in to things , I think he might have a little sight from watching him, it's hard to tell he is so well adjusted.

Read this
    http://www.blindhorses.org/inspirations.html
    Last edited by Tricky; Jan. 17, 2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: WoooHooooo
    One Man's Trash is another Man's Treasure
    Web Site http://home.comcast.net/~trickysplace/farm/farm.htm
    E-mail lazy_e_stables@comcast.net

Bump For Pal , I rode Pal again today and he wasn't nervous at all as you can see in this pic he is very relaxed , he is such a good boy and has adjust to his condition so well, he stand for the saddle and bridle and mounting as good as any horse I have.
    Photo
    http://home.comcast.net/~trickysplace/pal2.jpg
    Last edited by Tricky; Jan. 1, 2009 at 10:13 PM.

Wow, My mouth is drooling. I would love to have him, but I can't. I already have 4 horses and I am at my limit. I would have to sell one. He is a baby. It wouldn't be fair....but gosh, I would love to have this boy....He deserves it.

MTR

Bumpity bump bump

Wow, he is special and I really wish I could take him. He would get along great with my gelding but I'm afraid my pasture and fencing wouldn't be good for a non-sighted horse. Too bad, he seems like a great horse and very well adjusted.

Smile

I know a barn in NC that might be interested, but they teach therapeutic riding. The people riding Pal would be developmentally challenged children and would often have "side-walkers". Would Pal be suitable for this kind of a rider? It would only be flatwork and the occasional canter, but mostly walk and trot.
    The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears. ~Arabian Proverb

Hi dapplegrey
    Welcome to the COTH Forum

Yes Pal would would be perfect for this, he leads perfect, he is so good around people , no pulling back or getting in front of you .
    Pal needs a job he is to young and smart and well adjusted to go to waste and he longs for a relationship and tries so hard to please. he is such a good boy he could be taught to do most anything once someone has his trust, TRUST which Pal is willing to give because he understands he needs someone...

He sounds like he might be a perfect fit. I will contact the barn owner and see what she thinks! The barn just lost a special horse and I know that a horse like Pal would be warmly welcomed here. All of the caregivers and riders put their heart into the horses and build a relationship that is lasting. The kids really relate to horses who also have difficulties, so the fact that Pal is blind...will really build the relationships.

My sister is in the therapeutic riding program and weighs about 150 lbs. Would she be able to ride him?
    The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears. ~Arabian Proverb

Tricky I think he would be AWESOME for a TR facility. He would be great for our Childrens Garden kids, but they don't ride. I think he would just love a riding facility!

My daughters first love of a horse was a TWH at the facility we used to volunteer with. Never met a more wonderful kind soul than that one.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I am 6-3 and weigh 200 and as you can see in the above photo he carries me just fine, there is no reason why your sister couldn't ride him. Pal is not a small horse, he is 15+ hh , he dose need a little weight on but nothing some groceries wouldn't fix, Pal will fatten right up.
    I feel Pal would be an asset to the therapeutic riding program as well as the program would be advantageous for Pal, ( he loves people )!!

BUMP BUMP BUMP All The Way To Nashville
    Pal needs a ride to his new home From Knoxville, Tn To Nashville, TN
    He loads good and is a good boy in the trailer you will never know he is there. If you can help Please Pm Or Email me
    Thank you

Can't help with transport, just a bump and a BIG on a day where we've seen so much saddness. How cool is it that Pal gets a new home!!! Hope we get to read all about his new life.
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

Hopefully I can help!
    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."

Default Thanks olympicdreams

olympicdreams
    Thanks for offering you help it is very generous of you to go so far out of you way to help a blind horse to get to his new home Many Kudos !!! To you My Friend But that is awful lot of Driving for you to do in one day, from Nashville to Knoxville and back to Nashville and then on to Caneyville and back to Nashville that is ask a little much of you
    in my opinion.

Bump! I'd love to bring him home....from what I've read about blind horses, my farm is not suitable. Dear someone, please do take him home!!!
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

what a great save! I hope the horse gets a good home. At one barn where Cloudy and Callie boarded, an almost blind horse picked out one old horse to be his "eyes" in the herd and followed him around.

A friend of mine found that blind horse website for me, including the site about the farm in the west that takes in blind horses, when another friend bought a pony that had terrible eyesight cause he had ERU. My friend decided to keep the pony and bought her own place for her horses and the pony so he wouldn't be out with a herd.

Hope he gets a good home with a good "seeing eye" horse to lead him around.

Default bump

bump for this good boy he still needs a home and he will make someone a great Pal

Does he have a home waiting and just need a ride? Or did that home fall through?

PAL IS STILL LOOKING FOR A GOOD HOME
    REALLY GUYS !! NO B/S TO IT PAL WOULD MAKE SOMEONE A GENTLE LOYAL FRIEND HE IS SO SMART AND WILLING TO PLEASE

Default Pal

OH my. blind horses are such beautiful souls inside and out. I have owned a blind mare for over 2 years now( blind before I got her from an accident), and she has made me and my family so happy to have her. I was so excited when it seemed that he had a home...I am so sorry that it did not work out. I plan to talk with my family tonight about him, and I will be sure to send you a pm!!
    Pal you are such a handsome guy, and maybe you can come and live with my blind girl..

Default Aww, Pal!

I can't offer you a home (we are still looking for homes for some of ours!) unless you want to live in a small one bedroom apartment with a 20lb cat... but I do SO wish that you find your perfect Christmas or Chanukah home, Pal, where you will have a buddy and person and lots of love!

To be honest, I don't know a thing about TWH and I was pleasantly surprised by how cute you are! I'm sure your new people will be so lucky to have you