The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sorry Kahjul. We went from jambing to club feet. I don't know if you noticed the coronet bands on the club foot pics, but there is jambing there as well.

Yes, I did see that pic and it is exactly what I'm talking about. She is still footsore-not lame, but ouchy, from having her shoes pulled. I'm going her some time off, so I'm just letting her deal in the pasture. I'm curious to see if the coronary band gets completely level soon. It's still the same as it was the day after the shoes were pulled, almost level, but not quite. I haven't decided what I'll do as far as shoes/barefoot. There are several factors (for me) for either way.
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

This could start an argument with the shoers on here, but some of us "relieve" the walls at the quarters to allow them to settle. This might allow that bulge to relax. When you next look at her feet, follow the horn tubules down from the bulge to the bottom of the wall. If this is at the quarters, then lowering the walls there might help it relax even more.

Some farriers call it gouging the quarters, depending on whether they are for or against the practice. You can ask your farrier about it when he's out there the next time. If he doesn't know what is meant by relieving the quarters, perhaps "scooping" or "gouging" would work. He might be interested in trying it, or he might not.

I hope she's over her soreness soon. How sore is she? Is she okay in the pasture or is she gimping everywhere? Is soft footing okay but rocks difficult for her?

She's on a 1/4 acre with soft footing that we drag often. If there is a rock out there, I haven't found it. She was rediculously sore the first day, but now you can only see it when she trots around, she's just a bit shorter, looks like when I go get the mail barefoot! I suspect she'll be fine next week. I'll talk with the farrier about the quarters-that is exactly where the jambing occurs and without shoes, she flares terribly there.
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!