The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I have to pay for a Dover catalog?!?

Yesterday I got a slip in the mailbox telling me there's a large envelope/magazine/catalog waiting for me at the post office from Dover Saddlery and there's postage due for $1.98!

I haven't ordered anything and I doubt it's a gift so I'm a little stumped. Am I really expected to pay for Dover to send me the 37th catalog of the year? Anyone else have this happen?

I would just refuse delivery.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Who do you think you are? George Morris?! Seriously though, don't waste your money on the catalogs.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Wow, someone messed up some place.

Even if someone send you a gift directly from Dover it should not come postage due.

Default Sounds to me like...

It lost part or most of the cover so it no longer has the Pre Paid symbol on it, or was a printing mistake and didn't get it printed on that one for some reason...
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

I had this happen when they sent out the hard cover catalogs. I just refused delivery.

Christa

I wish I could get them to stop sending me so many catalogs!
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

WOW! That's strange. Just refuse the delivery or send it back to sender and they will end up paying up for it.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Boy View Post
    I wish I could get them to stop sending me so many catalogs!
    NO KIDDING! OP, I'll happily send you one of my MANY duplicates.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by onelanerode View Post
    NO KIDDING! OP, I'll happily send you one of my MANY duplicates.
    Meanwhile, I've filled out the stupid online form at least four times, and I haven't seen hide nor hair of a catalog.

(Catalogs are more useful than webpages for giving my mom gift hints. )

you can take the girl outta NY, but ya can't take NY outta the girl

Call the Postmaster. Ask why. Most times the mail recipent has moved. The Dover catalog is not First class postage. It's bound printed matter, which means it is thrown out if not deliverable.
    First class and Periodicals are forwarded without charge. You don't have to accept the catalog.
    Then call Dover, and change your address. The next one should be sent without delay, or charge.

Was it a photo-copied piece of paper with your address label on it? You weren't supposed to get that. if it was an orangey-peach form, then you can just call the po, and tell the PM you don't want it.
    to err is human, to whinny, Equine.
    Ebay-aholic! Carolina clique, BITS AND BARTER BOARD BUDDY
    EYEGLASSES MISSIONS FOR ARMENIA-send me your old glasses!

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Default To stop unwanted catalogs....

go to this site: http://www.catalogchoice.org/about .

I saw it advertised on TV the other day on one of the morning shows and immediately thought of you COTHers who complain about all those Dover catalogs you receive!
    "One person can change the world, and everyone should try." ~John F. Kennedy~

Quote Originally Posted by kdow View Post
    Meanwhile, I've filled out the stupid online form at least four times, and I haven't seen hide nor hair of a catalog.

kdow,
    pm me your address. I will send you one of my many catalogs.
    I only have a million
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

Quote Originally Posted by kdow View Post

I will send you one of mine: which do you want.....the Eventing, Dressage, Hunter/Jumper edition?

Since you filled out that form more than once... you too, will soon be overloaded with Dover catalogs! Just you wait.

Quote Originally Posted by olympicprincess View Post
    I will send you one of mine: which do you want.....the Eventing, Dressage, Hunter/Jumper edition?

Since you filled out that form more than once... you too, will soon be overloaded with Dover catalogs! Just you wait.
    I always wait for a while between filling out the form, to see if it's worked. It's like I'm in a horsey-stuff catalog black hole!

And what IS the difference between the editions?

Oh weird, I only seem to get the Dover catalog maybe twice a year it seems. Maybe its because I don't really buy from them

But all the other horse catalogs like Schneider's, State Line, Country Supply etc come non stop. But even though I seem to know all the catalogs products by heart I still enjoy looking through them every time they come, maybe I am weird like that

But like others have said here in regards to the post office wanting money for the catalog I am thinking it was a mistake on Dover's end. I would just refuse it

Quote Originally Posted by everyequine View Post
    Call the Postmaster. Ask why. Most times the mail recipent has moved. The Dover catalog is not First class postage. It's bound printed matter, which means it is thrown out if not deliverable.
    First class and Periodicals are forwarded without charge. You don't have to accept the catalog.
    Then call Dover, and change your address. The next one should be sent without delay, or charge.

Was it a photo-copied piece of paper with your address label on it? You weren't supposed to get that. if it was an orangey-peach form, then you can just call the po, and tell the PM you don't want it.
    You must be "in the biz." That makes sense since I recently moved. I have the orange form. I'll just have to call them and cancel it. Coth always comes through with the answers!

I wish I got more horse-related catalogs! I seem to be on an endless streak of women's clothing catalogs, home-decor catalogs and outdoor gear catalogs. I've made it this week's project to call every single one and cancel. (I've done a dozen so far, and they are perfectly polite about it and it is easy to do - no more or less work than using "catalogchoice.com" or similar).

40 more to go....

Then I just have to remember never to order anything again, lest I get put back on the list!

Quote Originally Posted by CJBean View Post
    But even though I seem to know all the catalogs products by heart I still enjoy looking through them every time they come, maybe I am weird like that
    I'm right there with you, when I was younger, I would pour over the catalogs, over and over and over again! I haven't had a horse in like 5 years and I still pour over horse catalogs!!

Just wanted to also reiterate the opportunity we each have to help the world's resources by simplifying. I also have called catalog companies over the years to either be entirely removed, or to only get catalogs during certain seasons (not every company has this option). Now with the internet - I am down to 1 catalog, and will probably decline that as well. I also have signed up for multiple don't mail me credit card applications, etc (unfortuntaley, don't recall the url to share).

I believe that the more companies reduce their costs, hopefully it will result in lower costs, or at least less resources. Now, if we could just get companies to reduce packaging - I am stunned over what is often included in packages - I try to recycle what I can (e.g. packing peanuts to local shipping stores).

If we each make small changes every day, it all adds up. Thank you to my fellow posters who all help to conserve.