The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default tipperary helmet

http://www.actionridertack.com/catal...f9fb4358a3f51a

Is this a good, comfy, fairly cool helmet? The price seems good.

http://www.actionridertack.com/catal...f9fb4358a3f51a

Otherwise one of those that is in the second row, the under-$100 ones. The Tipp seems like it might be cooler in summer and not so huge looking.

Any opinions? I tried Troxels at the store and the dial fit ones squeezed in the front-I know I'd have a headache in ten minutes- and yet were too roomy on the sides. My kids Troxels w/out the dial-a-fit seem to fit a little better.

Love the Tipperary! It fits well and is very comfortable. My old Troxel seemed to be more round and rolled around a bit. All my friends ride in a Tipperary.

I love my Tipperary. It is comfy and also cool in the summer.

Love my Tip. (the original one, haven't tried the new ones)
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

LOVE mine!!!! It doesn't slide around like my Troxels always did, I have the original style too--never even feel it on my head, I've done a 75 mile endurance ride in the summer in mine and it never drove me crazy--I used to have to dunk my head all the time to keep from overheating, but not in the Tipperary
    Windwalker Ridge: Gaited horses, lessons, training, sales
    http://windwalkerridge.cloud11.net

I have last year's model Tipp and I am quite happy with it. I had a Del Mar that was a little loose, which made it cooler than the Tipp, but the Tipp doesn't squeeze or pinch and ain't going nowhere if I should fall. Couldn't exactly say that about the DM.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I LOVE the Tip Sportage! It is light and airy and fits perfectly.
    http://www.blackberryhill.webs.com/

Sometimes you have to put your foot down to get a leg up!

Quote Originally Posted by hipy View Post
    I LOVE the Tip Sportage! It is light and airy and fits perfectly.
    Me too -- love it, love it, love it. I wear it on every ride, summer and winter, including endurance races, and it never bothers me a bit.
    Training and campaigning Barb endurance horses at The Barb Wire.

To the folks saying they love it; have you actually tried on and worn the new Tipperary that the OP is showing? I have an old Tip Sportage and I love it. I've worn the new Tip Sportage Plus, and I HATE it. Really uncomfortable.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I have both models of tipperary helmets. I like the older model better in that the lining stays in place better. With the new model the lining seems looser and it creeps out from under the helmet at my forehead. I think the older model has slightly better venting too. BUT, big but, the older model has a brittle brim that breaks easily. Mine broke after only a few uses, cracked way too easily. I was searching for an email address for the mfgr and found lot's of posts from other peole that had the same thing happen. It is likely the main reason for the new model which has a flexible breakaway brim.

So I suggest if you see the old model on sale to just pass it by and buy the new model.

Personally, I find myself using my old troxel more then the Tip because of the shifting liner and because the troxels have more brim. I'll be buying a Salamander visor to put onto the Tip and will use it more then, I hope.

Oh, tipperary sent me a free replacement helmet after I sent them picks of the broken one.

Bonnie S.

I had the old model for years and loved it.

I got one of the new models in September, and like it even better (which I did not think was possible). The sizing is different, and I did have to fuss a bit with the fitting shims, but once sorted (it took a minute or two) it fits perfectly. Love. It.

Thanks for the replies, and I see I posted the same link twice. Let me try again.

http://www.stoneycreektack.com/ridin...tindexint.html

Those are the IRH's, I was looking at something in the second row for under $100.

Otherwise do they make Troxels any more that aren't the dial-a-fit? My kid's seemed comfier than the ones in the store that had it, and I could shim the sides maybe. I really hate shopping.

I have the same issue you mentioned, with helmets pressing into my forehead, yet being too roomy on the sides. I tried on a Tipperary while I was shopping recently and it was the most comfortable helmet I've ever put on my head. It also comes down lower on the back of your head, giving you a little extra protection. I don't really care for the way they look, but I'll probably end up getting one next time.

The Tip's fit my head shape, Troxel's don't.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    To the folks saying they love it; have you actually tried on and worn the new Tipperary that the OP is showing? I have an old Tip Sportage and I love it. I've worn the new Tip Sportage Plus, and I HATE it. Really uncomfortable.
    I second that! I have an "old" Tiperrary and its wonderful. The new ones look good in pictures BUT in person they are hideous. They are really clunky (if that is a word) and they sit high on your head. NOT comparable to the old model at all. I've been looking around for a new *old one* for when mine needs replacement, no luck so far...

Dear Tiperrary,
    Please bring back your old model, no one wants the new ones.
    Thanks,
    2Jakes