The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did anyone else do this?

I was thinking about this as I was driving today...

When I was younger, and my mom use to drive me to the barn, I use to pretend the car was a horse, and that shadows on the ground were jumps. I use to count strides between "jumps". I would set the pace to the beat of whatever was playing on the radio. I guess it was my form of entertainment on the long drives out to the barn.

Maybe that's how I got such a good eye for distances!

I did this! Except my horse still has to bail me out at times. lol
    Last edited by CenterStage123; Nov. 24, 2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo

Actually, when on the highway, I pretend that I'm a jockey. I pick a certain point ahead, like a Speed limit sign etc. and see if I can beat the car in the lane next to me to it.

Sadly, it wasn't when I was a kid...but as an adult. lol
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I did this...only I used the telephone poles as my jumps.....I think it taught me about length of stride as opposed to the speed the car was going as I being the passenger could alter my imaginary strides but not the speed....Back in the day I think I had a pretty good eye....
    Crayola Posse: Mulberry

Quote Originally Posted by jeta View Post
    I did this...only I used the telephone poles as my jumps.....
    Me too!!
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

I did this and still do sometimes with mile markers on the interstate!
    CRAYOLA Posse: PLUM

I still do it

What Huntertwo said.

Does anyone else do cavelletti/ground poles when walking across parking lots with marked parking spaces?

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    What Huntertwo said.

Does anyone else do cavelletti/ground poles when walking across parking lots with marked parking spaces?

Yup, into work. I change the length of my "stride" to make it a 2 stride or or a 1 stride, etc.

Now I don't feel so weird...I use to do "cross country" with fences we were passing!

My husband who doesn't ride but is a jock's agent, pushes on the steering wheel and switches sticks like he's riding a race when passing cars. I'm sure he's cashing a gamble then as well.

When riding to school on the bus I would look out the window and imagine a horse galloping across the terrain and jumping over whatever was in the way

Furlong47--that's exactly what I did...I always made sure I had a window seat on the bus and everything outside was jump!
    "The slogan will take you like lemmings to the cliff. You'll feel better than ever, and into the abyss... There'll be no more war, there'll be no more choice." PiL

haha, I did (and, er, do) all of these things. I always count my strides and count down to the "take-off" point when I'm walking and I have to step up or over anything. And then I want to go do it over again if I don't get a perfect "distance".
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

When I was growing up I WAS the horse! I had a lovely canter and trot,,,,collected to extended and was an excellent jumper. I ate popcorn from my hand as a horse would eat. Occasionally I reared and bucked. I was AWESOME!!

I've come to think of speeding up as simply 'opening up my horse's stide' to prepare for a fence.

oops...

I looked out the window and imagined myself riding over whatever I passed, too. (: And I leaned forward over speed bumps...

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    Me too!!
    Me three! (re: telephone pole jumps.) Weirdly enough, I still do it out of habit, and I still haven't taken any jumping lessons.

Oh we did also play horse at recess One person would be the horse and put a jump rope around their waist to be the reins. Then another person would be the rider and run behind steering with the rope ends. Actually I guess this was closer to driving than to riding

Like SarahandSam, I would always go into 2-point over speed bumps and especially the little speed strips on the highway before stop lights. The rhythm is always the same...jump, one stride, jump, one stride, jump, bounce, jump, bounce, jump!
    At the lake, I would also practice my dressage tests while riding the waverunner/ jetski. It was great mental practice. I'm sure it looked really weird to others, though!