The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A safe heater for a tack room?

I have two barn cats that eat in the tackroom. With the weather turning colder I am wanting to put a heater in the tackroom to give them a warm place to go and to prevent my tack from rotting. I am a bit nervous about a floor heater even though the have a turn off switch if bumped. I was thinking about one of those heat lamps that hang from the ceiling.

I was thinking about something like this:

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...oductId=287975

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with safe heaters in the tackroom?

For quite a few years now, I've been using one of the heaters that has oil or fluid in it and coils. It looks sort of like an old fashion radiator and is tan. You can adjust the temperature and has low med or high settings. It's a plug in type.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    For quite a few years now, I've been using one of the heaters that has oil or fluid in it and coils. It looks sort of like an old fashion radiator and is tan. You can adjust the temperature and has low med or high settings. It's a plug in type.
    Ditto. I use these anywhere I would otherwise be afraid of fire. They are 100% sealed and very safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Ditto. I use these anywhere I would otherwise be afraid of fire. They are 100% sealed and very safe.
    Would either of you have a link to one so I can see what they look like?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondindykin View Post
    Would either of you have a link to one so I can see what they look like?

Thanks
    Mine looks a lot like this one:

http://www.sylvane.com/delonghi-trd0715t-heater.html

I googled "sealed oil heater" to find that picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

We had one of those radiator-type ones and it kept two ferrets warm in an insulated room at the barn. Worked well enough to keep the water from freezing.

Also to keep the kitties warm, I don't know what your cats sleep on, but I've gotten old comforters and made "nests" for them. You take the short end and bunch it together to make a long tube with it then curl it up in a circle or coil. I use fleece or old saddle pads on the bottom or curl them up around cat beds. Cats love them and they insulate them well. Any type of blanket works too, but the comforters are more insulating.

I've even startled the feral cats sleeping in the extra ones. I have to space the beds out so certain cats' noses don't get out of joint.

The elements in those radiant heaters reach several hundred degrees temperature.

We bought our DeLonghi heater at Lowe's. It's a gentle heat, although the heater, especially around the bottom, does get hot enough to be uncomfortable to the touch. They take about 15 minutes to come up to heat, and while not top-heavy, can be fairly easily knocked over.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

We got a small electric one that we built into the wall, just so there'd be no risk of tipping it over. It is the same size as a typical heater grate in your wall, but has the whole unit built in between the studs in the wall. It works great.

It looks something like this, but smaller.
    Click here before you buy.

I have the oil filled radiator - not sure it's the same brand but I got it at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's sealed and energy efficient. I also have it plugged into a GFCI outlet. It it tips over it shuts off automatically. I've never tipped it over and I'm very clumsy.

I'd not use the one you linked to for a tack room. It's going to cost you a pretty penny in your electric bill, and those thing get pretty darn hot. My tack room is warmed nicely by the oil filled radiator. I think you can get one filled with water - but I think the oil filled is more energy efficient.

Good luck.

We have used these from Wal Mart for many years in our wellhouses and tackrooms and they work fine for us.
    Scroll down to the Patton milk parlor heater:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=133026

Google EdenPure. Cool to touch but maybe too much of an energy draw.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    I was using one of these as well but this year I put it on and came back in a 1/2 hr and the whole tack room was filled with smoke. It was only two years old and I only used it in the tack room.

I'm now looking for an alternative heater which I will only leave on when I'm there. A barn fire is my worst fear.

We have a regular house baseboard heater, in the tackroom. It is set very low, 50F, and does a good job in the heavily insulated tackroom. We did have to reset the thermometer up high on the wall, to get a better tempeture control. Hot air rises, with low thermometer on wall, it was not reading the temps correctly. Room would be REALLY hot, but cold near the floor where the thermometer was.

Anyway the baseboard heater is about 6ft long, 8-10 inches tall, 4-5 inches deep, screwed to the wall along floor out of the way, pretty economical to run. Especially when we keep the temps turned down. Room is warm for the leather tack, nice to step into from the cold barn area. I clean the heater with the vac every fall before turning it on. Face snaps off to clean the vanes around heat tube. Tack room is about 12ft x 24ft with 8ft ceiling, cement floor.

No place in there for a free standing space heater. We have TOO MUCH STUFF to move around in there easily.

My cats get locked in the tack room most nights, I just give them lots of bankets and stuff to sleep in. Most nights the water doesn't even freeze, even if it gets down in the 20's. Tack is ok too, not worth the risk of fire.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

I have an infrared heater, like the one you linked, in my stall.

It doesn't warm the air, but if you stand under it, you will feel the heat. It has a small area of effectiveness. You really have to be right under it to feel the heat. If you're off to the side, I don't think you'll feel it. And if your kitties go under something, they'll get no benefit at all.

When I'm in the barn on winter nights, I can definitely feel it, even through my coat. But it's not a lot of heat.

I don't know how effective it would be at protecting your tack.

Do a websearch for "shop heaters" or "garage heaters" to get some more options that would be safe in a barn.

The plug in heaters scare me. Not tipping over as much as how hot the cord and plug get.
    I don't have a tack room, but if I did, I would consider a propane heater with a tank outside. Of course professionally installed.

I have a ceramic small heater that I use in my bathroom, but if that is turned on high or its really cold out, the cord and plug get too hot and I shut it off.

I have a radiator heater on very low in my tack room and one of the infrared heaters in a stall for emergency use. (Like when we had a foal born in February & it was -30!)
    I have used the radiator heater on the lowest setting for quite a few years and it keeps things from freezing up in my insulated tack room. I think my brand is a Honeywell.

I haven't seen lights like you posted before, but I wonder if they get HOT like the ones I use for my chicks do???? I too worry about the eletrical safety.. being sure the cords don't get hot/ short out. Chain doesn't break and they fall.... ( I am picturing cat attempting to jump from high perch)

In all honesty do you Really need to heat the room for the cats? My guys have the skin of a RHINO (just did round of rabies shots last mont and it was HARD and I am very comfortable with shots/ needles !!!!!!!!!!) and buddy up nesting in my hay loft , in the straw , and even in stalls. They seem quite comfortable even sleeping solo.

As far as rotting tack.. is it enough to have an insulated tack room? I really never thought out that.. I do keep my most valuables in the house.. and bridles with bits so I don't stick cold metal in their mouths....

I am interested in hearing heating options...

oh last random thought what about investing in a small outdoor wood furnace that pumps heat into the tackroom? they are supposed to be safe and are used in heating houses ??? I know we looked into one to heat our house, and it came equipped with a second line to go to an auxillary building such as workshop or greenhouse.
    "Sport N Curls"
    Sport Horse type Curlies and Sport Ponies with the mind, looks and athletic ability to compete in a variety of disciplines.
    www.seldomcreek.com

Thanks for expressing your fear, 5horses because I feel exactly the same way.
    My barn's tack room has a bathroom off of it and they have one of those sealed oil radiator heaters in there. (for the cats!) I am terrified of a barn fire and worry, probably needlessly about hot cords or electrical shorts and the like. The walls have never been "finished" with exposed paper covered fiberglass insulation.
    Granted, our winters can reach 15 below, but it seems like an awful chance to take for cats who could conceiveably be kept in the house basement for a few ultra cold days.

I'd be much happier if the heater was only used during those hours when people were around and the horses are outside.

I think it's important to remember that many many barns are not wired properly to begin with. When choosing any type of appliance, figure out if your wiring can handle it before sticking the plug into the outlet. Most localities don't require barns/ag buildings to meet code requirements, and many people use the wrong gauge wiring, don't have the right service run to the barn, don't use GFCI outlets, etc.

Don't mean to lecture but I notice folks don't always consider that when these subjects come up.