The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The greatest Long Ears is for adoption Adopted to KY, Lucky lady

Sadly, after three years after Kathy's passing, I am going to adopt her beloved Katie Scarlett the mule.

Kathy would want her friend to go to someone who is actually going to do something with her marvelous talent and athletisism. This is one smart girl and I would like her to go to a home that knows mules please.

Katie leads and loads. She ties and she farriers for female farriers. A man who took his time would not have an issue. Katie never forgets anything. Show her once and she has it. This would likely apply to bad things as well but, Katie has lived a good life.

Katie is now 8 years old and unbroke. But, she takes a saddle, she can be backed, she accepts a bridle. Katie is fast, Katie jumps, she gives kisses, she is good looking and large. She is 15 hh. a gorgeous bay with a tail. Ya a bit of one anyhow.

Katie has never offered to hurt anyone. She will guard your herd with a vengance but is a kind mule. Until she knows a dog belongs, she will keep them from your herd. She guards babies with her life.

Katie was bred for barrell racing if you can imagine. Kathy had bred her finest mare to one heck of a stallion in his time back in Oklahoma. Her dream was to one day use Katie is timed events. Sadly, she didnt live long enough to see that through but....................she would not want Katie to spend her life being my pet only to be passed on when I pass on. And so, Katie is for adoption finally. Katie did go to a home with a friend of mine, an older lady, but after an accident, she will not be able to finish Katie.

So, if you are looking for one of the greatest long ears I have ever come across, consider Katie. You wont be disappointed.
    Last edited by snkstacres; Dec. 11, 2008 at 11:12 PM.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Sadly, I thought there would be a zillion askers on this darlin. I am shocked with all the long ear posts. I was scared that I would have to try and decide who the best home might be.

You guys, you are passing up the animal of a lifetime. Its taken me three years to finally let go.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Um, you have her listed as adopted on your website. Just in case that you meant to update that but forgot..

Anyone who has never experienced a mule must, just once in their life. They really, truly do melt your heart. A bump, from one Katie to another.

website will be updated. Yes, Katie was adopted and returned yesterday. Not for a thing she did at all. Her adopter had an accident which is going to prevent her riding for a long long time and at 63 years old, maybe permanently.

This girl is a avery very special mule. Before I cant part with her again, I listed her. wont fool around with her because she just steals my being.

There is a lady here in Fl that has ridden and shown her mule Grace successfully for a time. I understand she is retiring Grace and will be training another horse or mule for her rides. Should I mentioned Katie to her? She is knwon as the "mule lady" for her incredible training with Grace.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Please do. Katie has been to a trainer for evaluation and the trainer loved her to pieces. I could pass the name and contact info to the lady you know and maybe Miss Katie Scarlett can finally become all she was meant to be.

I've been watching Meredith Hodges on RFD-TV with her mules and donkeys - she has them doing really amazing stuff!!

& i like her line "A mule is always better than the horse it came out of"

Hey snkstacres whats your mules name again? Jest teasin' ya
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

Kathy's plan was to take Katie to Meridith Hodges herself. In fact, I wrote to Meridith with Katies story in hopes that she might take Katie on for training but..........no response at all. I really should try once more since Katie has had so much more done with her.

I should point out that we have NEVER had any sort of resistance from Katie. She was saddled and backed in minutes. Ok, she is not broke but, she walked out without ever taking a wrong step.

The trainer "Robert Ann" in TN thought Katie was one of the nicest and smartest mules she ever met.

I cant believe no one has jumped on Katie. Mule people, you are missing something so wonderful here.

Default adopted?

I checked out your website

1. she is adopted according to your site
    2. you can't appreciate her ears or face in that shot-understand running a rescue you are likely very busy and so it's hard to try and do it all..
    3. it's fall-people are giving away animals right and left. It seems as if you really love her. Perhaps it would be best to advertise her again late spring .

Anyway, I wish you and others well who have dedicated your time and energy to rescue and rehoming. Thank you.
    Live life to the fullest-ride a standardbred!!!

And I just learned that Meredith Hodges is Charles Schultz's daughter the other night on the show ("Logical Approach to Longears.")

(sorry for the brief thread hijack)
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Default bump!

Bump for this sweetie...I wish I could take her!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I so wish I could take her. I am a long ears lover...just ask my 2 mini donks....

Unfortunately I recently lost my job but my "girls" have feed for the winter....now to keep eats on the table for the human kids...

Yup, its a sad situation for many people isnt it. I realize the photo of Katie is not such a good one on the website but, at that time, I still couldnt consider adopting her either. I do have some very nice photos of here that will be posted shortly.

I hope everything works out for those of us unemployed or mostly unemployed. For me, I believe everything is for a reason and even when it looks like things couldnt get worse, they always get better LOL

Wow, is this girl Gorgeous! I saw Miss Katie-Scarlett in person. She even said hi to me. Pictures can't do her justice. She is solid bay and stout. She will make an incredible mule for the right person.

Lori knows that I would take her home if I had more that one a$$. Wait I do.. His name is Radar! LOL. If I didn't have Dali, I would have her. I would almost give up my hubby's mustang for her. She is a dream, but I have too many and I don't want to not be able to care for them all should something happen.

This girl deserves the right human. I wish she could be with me though....

What a lovely girl!

Although I would be sad to see Katie Mule gone, cuz I loff her too, she really does need her own hooman. These are pics I took of Katie Mule:

From right after the barn fire '06: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/29600...15305252nhBHmh

June of this year:
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/24511...15305252uAWUOE
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

OMG! Chocomare! She looks GORGEOUS!

My husband says "Wouldn't she be better than a Perch or a Belgian here at the farm for the kids?" And yes, yes she would. I wish, wish, wish, I was working right now. She would be making the trip with her friends and she would have a trainer.

I loff, loff, loff mules!

(and hinnys too...I loff ms. heart with all my being)

Someone please adopt this gorgeous girl!
    Last edited by equineartworks; Dec. 3, 2008 at 07:20 AM. Reason: typo
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

hehehe Anyone standing close enough to get Katie kisses, would take her home in a heartbeat. She nuzzles your neck so gently, checks your pockets incase you are hiding cookies and then nuzzles you some more.

She could steal anyones heart and yes, she is one good looking mule. She is fast and she jumps like a deer. I bet she could do dressage. hahahh Merideth Hodges doesnt know what she is missing LOL.

Does anyone know her personally? CAn you call in a favor?????

Ok, Miss Katie Scarlett is now heartbroken to think no one wants her. HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont they know the greatest long ears ever is looking for her mommy. No one has ever met Katie who didnt fall in love with her, just ask anyone who has been here.

Someone wants a gorgeous gorgeous kind and smart mule dont they?