The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Selling horses: mares vs. geldings

I've been horse shopping lately for a young horse for myself as a potential eventer; however, I'm keeping my mind open that I may have to sell it eventually. I'm wondering how resellable are mares vs. geldings? I'm certainly more of a gelding person myself, but have come across quite a few very tempting mares. Having seen six or seven times as many mares for sale as geldings, it's brought questions to my mind.
    If I were to resell it down the road (as an eventer), what is the 411 (info!) on that? Do they sell for less money than geldings? Are mares less desireable in general? Does anyone find they have a more difficult time selling mares vs geldings? Is there a typical 'stereotype' buyers give mares?
    ANY information would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm a mare person and would take a mare any day over a gelding. A wise trainer once said, and I quote "Geldings give 50%, 100% of the time. Mares give 100%, 50% of the time". I’ve trained numerous horses and ponies and I've found this to be true more often then not. Several of my clients will only own geldings because they are afraid of getting a "marish" mare. Ironically, the one has a gelding that is much more moody than any mare I've met. However...

If I was buying for resale, I would go with a gelding. It seems like many buyers won't own a mare. Why shoot yourself in the foot if you don’t have to.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

We find sales to be just about equal with buyers far more interested in ability than what sex the horse is.

I think it depends. I like geldings better but if you are going to buy a mare that is breeding quality and has nice lines and excels in what you do then a mare is probably a better choice because someone can breed it later. If you just want a horse to move thru the levels that doesn't matter about lines and perfect confo then a gelding will be just fine. Either way it goes if you have a mare or gelding that can do its job well and takes care of its rider either one will sell. Now for my husband he will never own a mare Just his preference.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I own two mares and would not either of them for any amount of money. There are some people out there who do not like mares but if you have ever had a "good" mare, there is nothing better! Mine gives me 110% 99% of the time!

If you are buying knowing you may have to resell, get a gelding.

In my experience it was a LOT harder to sell the one mare I've ever owned...even though she was cheaper, a better mover, and more talented than any gelding I ever had for sale. I think for every person you find that only wants a mare, you'll find 10 who only want a gelding.

I have spoken with a few people who strictly do resale (they buy, train/condition for a couple months, and sell). They ONLY buy geldings for resale.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

If you are re-selling primarily to amateurs, then I think a gelding is an easier sell. I'm NOT saying that geldings are better. I am saying that amateurs may be leery of buying a mare because even if the seller says she's not mareish, you can't know for sure unless you spend a fair bit of time with the mare.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeMeadows View Post
    I'm a mare person and would take a mare any day over a gelding. A wise trainer once said, and I quote "Geldings give 50%, 100% of the time. Mares give 100%, 50% of the time". I’ve trained numerous horses and ponies and I've found this to be true more often then not. Several of my clients will only own geldings because they are afraid of getting a "marish" mare. Ironically, the one has a gelding that is much more moody than any mare I've met. However...

If I was buying for resale, I would go with a gelding. It seems like many buyers won't own a mare. Why shoot yourself in the foot if you don’t have to.
    I agree. I prefer mares but selling a mare is MUCH harder to do.
    Sandy in Fla.

I prefer mares, with enough quality to become broodmares if need be. My current show horse is a mare. She's always well behaved, but when she's in heat it does take just a bit more finesse to get the best performance out of her in the show ring.

It seems that more buyers prefer the even temperment of a gelding.

I'm also a mare person and own about a dozen of them, but agree with the comments about the relative ease of selling a gelding. Since mares do offer the potential for producing offspring, its important to consider papers and registrations. I'm not dissing the grade mares out there, but just noting that everything else being equal, it is far easier to sell a mare with papers or the ability to get into a breed registry than a grade mare. So do your homework on the breeding side if a mare is being considered.

However, resale of any kind is going to be a challenge in these economic times, so I'd buy exactly what I liked since chances are the horse may be around for a while.

I LUFF mares! If you have a quality, high performance gelding and he suffers a career ending injury, you have a pasture ornament. If you have a quality, high performance mare who suffers a career ending injury,you may still have a broodmare.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

I love mares... when I'm horse shopping mares are always at the top of my list... I have personally never had a problem selling the girls either.... I had a lovely gelding up for sale, it took over nine months to sell him... I have given a gelding away and I have been given a gelding... always end up paying top dollar for the ladies though .

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Geldings sell quicker, particularly at the lower levels. The higher the level, the more talent becomes overriding.

I did a statistical analysis of offering prices from ads in 2004 on Area II, III, and VIII (USEA). For the same performance and size basis, mare prices were over $2,000 less than an equivalent gelding. In a BN horse ($10,000), that's a big difference. In an advanced horse ($60,000) that's noise in the data.

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
    I own two mares and would not either of them for any amount of money. There are some people out there who do not like mares but if you have ever had a "good" mare, there is nothing better! Mine gives me 110% 99% of the time!
    Very true! Both of my very best horses were mares, hands down. The one I have now is one of those *best mares* and will try her heart out for you 100% of the time..