The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default dried cracked hands

This may belong in Off Course - if so, I apologize in advance. My thought was that this problem is worst for those of us who have farms and work outside all winter..

Anyway - it's only November, and the snow hasn't hadly started here in Colorado, but my hands are such a mess already. I don't have excema - it's just from working outside in cold dry weather. I wear gloves as much as I can - but I have painful cracks all over my fingers and knuckles. I have tried every cream out there that I see for sale, but nothing does the trick. Does anyone have a hand cream or something else that protects hands really well? Recently I've been thinking of wearing latex gloves under my work gloves or sleeping with vasoline all over my hands and then gloves over that.. Any help would be appreciated...

Thx - Jill

Firstly, stop using anything that has petroleum. It does not moisturize at all.

I use lotion from this company: www.labouquetiere.com and it's the best stuff I've EVER used. It's expensive, but lasts a good long while (one bottle lasts me 3 months of all over daily use) and it's just really, really nice lotion. I used to struggle with dry, cracked skin, but no longer have ANY issues.

Stay away from water-based lotions! Oil/wax and/or "butter" based products will protect and moisturize your skin much more effectively. I make my own at home. Try a good quality shea butter or something with a cocoa butter base. if it's got a bit of beeswax in it, so much the better.

I have a simple solution for you, and you already thought of it -- almost.

Instead of latex gloves, get the disposable vinyl gloves and wear them under your regular gloves. Latex gloves won't hold up.

I started using the vinyl gloves two winters ago and they have literally saved my hands. The gloves keep your hands warmer, keep the moisture in and, more important, keep the dirt and grime out. And they sometimes last for several days. You can buy them at Wal-mart or most any other pharmacy.

Try this for two weeks and you will be amazed. Trust me!

As for hand lotions, my favorites are the Burt's Bees products. I like the carrot lotion, almond milk beeswax cream and the shea butter cream (which I also use on hooves).

latex could irratate your hands more, especially if you are sweating in them. When I had to work outside a ton, i usually used vasoline on my ears and face to help protect them, and i would rub some on my hands occasionally. I really liked the satin hands from mary kay they helped keep my hands pretty moist! Also you could carry around a container of lotion - i like aveeno, and apply several times a day

Two Words: Bag Balm.

Buy it at your local Co-Op. Best stuff on the planet.

G.

I've always got awful hands and have just totally sorted it!

I highly recommend 2 weeks holiday in the Caribbean and staying in the pool for a minimum of 4 hours a day and using copious sun tan lotion and after sun.

Plan B is not nearly as good but it's cheap. Do you have this there?

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Neutrogena_Han...scented__68800

or cattle udder cream

Have you had a doctor look at it to rule out dermatitis or other problem? It almost sounds more like a reaction to something, than simple dryness. Are the creams that you use scented?

You could try buying some vitamin E capsules, the kind you're supposed to swallow, and cutting the tip off of them then smearing the liquid inside over the open cracks on your hands. They also make Vitamin E lotion, but it usually is diluted by some sort of carrier--often petroleum jelly.

Default gloves in bed

first, the caribean trick is the absolute best.
    but baring that, take the hand cream of your choice, buy the cheapo white cotton gloves at your pharmacy and practice your Queen Elizbeth wave at night. bag balm, gold bond, neutrogena, burts bees etc.they all help
    and of course you already know this but avoid getting your hands wet unnecessarily...no dish washing bucket scrubbing etc etc without some kind of glove on
    or just give up dish washing altogether..

Thomas - yes we have that here and it is excellent.

I also have the cotton gloves - I feel a bit weird wearing them to bed - very Nora Desmondish. But it works so that's that.

Bag balm is excellent (the udder cream you refer to)

I see someone mentioned Mary Kay. They have a pretty inexpensive gift bag setup with Satin Hands. It's a gentle scrub, and then you follow it up with what looks and feels like softened bag balm (udder cream). I swear - you use that stuff once a week (glom it on your hands and then put gloves on) - it really does a great job.

I'm partial to Nivea for my face in the winter - I come back from hunting or chores and look like a mummy. It's purely sentimental - one of my grandmothers used it and the smell reminds me of her. It works well, but there may or may not be better products out there for your face.

My wife would die laughing if I turned up to go to bed in white cotton gloves.

She'd be wondering if (frightened even!) I was about to do an Al Johnson impersonation

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Being able to do the Florida winter circuits is another good tip for saving hands, but sadly probably more expensive than the Caribbean approach...

The Mary Kay satin hands is truly awesome, and you can buy just the hand cream. Also carry lots of hand cream around and moisturize after you get your hands wet. Immediately, even before they are fully dry. Supposedly that helps lock in some of the moisture. I can't stand anything that is even mildly greasy, so that rules out procucts with even a hint of vaseline, but a good chunk of Burts Bees products as well. Bath and Body works had a great shea butter hand lotion that was ultra moisturizing - Mango Mandarin hand cream. It was totally wonderful and better than anything I had ever used (inlcuding all the stuuff mentioned here). So of course they stopped making it.

Clearly that was a ploy to help the economy. Before I was happy and found the one thing that mostly workled. Now I can spend another small fortune trying to find something to replace it.

Chapped lips. Discuss...
    I'm sorry... Did I just roll my eyes out loud?

Question while we're on the subject of winter care

has anyone found good insulated gloves for doing water buckets in the cold?
    and what do you use to prevent windburn? i went out yesterday for a 2 1/2 hour hack and despite of putting tons of beaver balm on my face i still came back looking like i climbed mt. everest.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    My wife would die laughing if I turned up to go to bed in white cotton gloves.

She'd be wondering if (frightened even!) I was about to do an Al Johnson impersonation

Well - if you're tempted she might be able to deal with it unless you also put curlers in your hair and slather cold cream on your face. If you complete the look with a high necked flannel gown..... that might be a bit over the top.

I don't know how to prevent the windburn and chapping - I put so much gunk on my face to go hunting OPEC shows up and tries to drill for oil. I still look like a mummy.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Chapped lips. Discuss...
    got the answer to that one too.

Freezing day.
    Find a padlock frozen solid.
    Bend down to warm it with your breath so you can get the key in.
    Stick your lips to the metal.

Pull back in pain and leave lips behind exfoliated on the padlock.

Tell wife to go in and change her pants that she just p*d laughing!!!

You may also want to investigate if there's something you could do internally. Perhaps you are missing some fatty acids, such as Omega 3s. People with low thyroid function also tend to have more issues with dry skin!

Quote Originally Posted by Beasmom View Post
    Stay away from water-based lotions! Oil/wax and/or "butter" based products will protect and moisturize your skin much more effectively. I make my own at home. Try a good quality shea butter or something with a cocoa butter base. if it's got a bit of beeswax in it, so much the better.
    I disagree with this slightly- you need some water often to add moisture in the first place. So using a heavier non-water based product, I would apply to lightly damp hands- the product then holds the tiny bit of water in and results in a more moisturizing result than just using the product on dry skin. (In my experience, anyway.)

That said, I do agree that when you're talking about quite dry skin to start with, most of the water-based products have FAR too much water in them relative to the amount of oil/butter/wax, so they aren't that effective. (Unless you layered them, I suppose- put on some normal lotion, and immediately follow it up with some heavier butter-type product.)

Also, don't just treat AFTER the fact. If you know you're going to be going out in the cold or otherwise exposing your skin to stress, put on one of the heavier products mentioned here (like bag balm) BEFORE you go out, to give your skin some protection.

(Speaking of products- Kiehl's supposedly makes some products specifically for people who do things like climb Mt. Everest. I'm pretty sure they have some kind of protective skin cream aimed at skin which will be exposed to the cold and wind, so that might be worth looking in to.)

Last, I'd second whomever it was that said to avoid the latex gloves and go for vinyl. One of the early signs of latex allergy in a lot of people is latex contact making the skin dry and sore, so if you're unlucky enough to be one of those folks who is developing a latex allergy, latex gloves will just make things worse. Plus, oily skin creams will just make the latex break down anyway.

For the really bad cracks I recommend coating them with Polysporin and covering with band aids before bed. Only thing that works for me...

Also, once you find a lotion that works (I am partial to Body Shop's Hemp Hand Cream) or George's skin cream http://www.georgescream.com/, keep some by your bed, in your car and at your desk.
    "Because it's 2015"

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Two Words: Bag Balm.

Buy it at your local Co-Op. Best stuff on the planet.

G.

I second this!
    <)__~~
    <\ <\,,
    The delicate and exquisite horse is itself a work of art.