The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unfortunately this horse does not tolerate much alfalfa - makes him hyper.

I would completely start at the basics - primarily good quality hay, free choice, together with a low NSC vitain suppolement , like Equipride perhaps. Add soaked and rinsed BP (without molasses), some BOSS maybe, and perhaps some alfalfa, if he tolerates this.

Always keep in mind that wild/feral horses live on a high fiber and very low NSC diet and tend to move easily over 20 miles per day. They seem to be doing fine, according to their increasing numbers! We tend to overfeed and under-execise domestic horses.

In addition, I recently read that H.pylori has been found in horses - this is the bacteria responsible for most ulcers in humans. Perhaps strengthening his immune system as much as possible, while feeding some natural antiviral remedies would help ( my horse luuves his dried peppermint he gets ) :
    ANTIBACTERIAL
    Antibacterial herbs are those that fight and destroy bacteria and include alfalfa, basil, chamomile, cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, parsley, peppermint, rhubarb, tumeric, uva ursi and yucca.
    Or Manuka honey, which is actually advertised to treat H.pylori.

Perhaps you could also convince your vet to try an unusual approach with antibiotics to attack posible H.pylori organisms.

Good luck!

Hi - Sorry about the ulcers. I've got a gelding who had them last year and I am convinced that it was due (at least in some part) to an alfalfa allergy. When he was fed alfalfa hay, he was not only nuts, but he got small hives that looked like bug bites all over his neck and chest, but I think that even smaller amounts in his senior feed and supplements had an affect. I read that the histamines released due to an allergy cause an increase in gastric acid production, and I believe that that played a role in his ulcers.
    Now, in addition to grass and/or timothy, I feed him U-guard, ground flax, rice bran, Vit II vitamin/mineral supplement, Aloe Vera Juice, TC Low Starch and timothy pellets in his 'bucket'. I'm REALLY careful not to give him any supplements with the least bit of alfalfa in them, and that might be something that you want to consider.
    Good luck - I feel for ya ...
    Last edited by Roser123; Nov. 30, 2008 at 03:15 AM.

I never had my horse scoped to actually determine if he had ulcers, but he is an OTTB and has done a bit of moving in the last year (3 homes) so when I had trouble keeping weight on with him, bad coat, on U-guard (as preventitive) and TC complete, I revamped his whole diet and removed the sugar. Now I feed whole oats, a protein supplement, vit E/sel, and various minerals with constant quality hay and I no longer need the U-guard. In the summer I feed timothy as his hay source (good grass). He does not have they 'uclery' behaviour anymore and I think taking out the sugar really helps his system stay balanced (no sugar explosion after meals). The oats provide all the calories while vitamin supplements and protein do the rest, plus hay. Good Luck! This actually cut my feed costs too!

To begin with my guy came out of his skin on Ultium...too many calories.

I have heard that adding oat fiber will help with the hindgut. I give alfalfa hay 5 lbs am and pm which will buffer the tummy for up to 12 hours. I also give him a leaf to munch on while tacking up. He is a totally different horse now. He was dangerously spooky and did not want a saddle on his back at all. Could care less now and only midly spooks which is his normal nature.

Pappaya and Aloe are also great to put in the diet with a good pre and probiotic. Don't feed any sugar treats at all.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

I have an ulcer horse. We scoped and treated him with UlcerGard for 180 days. Every colic was different, so we finally had him tested for allergies. He is allergic to timothy (one of 22 things he is positive for) which was the bulk of his diet.

Took him off timothy - he gets LMF Low Carb Stage 1 - about 6-7 lbs dry weight a day, alfalfa about 10 lbs a day, and 8.5 lbs dry weight of beet pulp - soaked a day. The LMF is a no grain, no molasses food, comprised of soy hulls, beet pulp, and alfalfa. I check everything for offending products - including his supplements. He is now on SmartGut because the U7 had corn gluten in it. He is allergic to corn as well.

He is also on the desensitization program - he gets shots we are on the last set of vials (2 since he is allergic to so much stuff they can give shots for, food they can not be desensitized), that will take us through June, then he goes on maintenance which is shots every 30 days - forever I guess.

I think I'll ask to have him tested. He had his first meal of "granola" tonight. Oats, Barley, Beet Pulp, Alfalfa Cubes, Flax Seed. All soaked. We'll see how it goes...
    -Grace

So, today Lego informed me that his granola diet is INEDIBLE. He protested for about half an hour by hitting the stall door, running his teeth up and down the bars, watching me everywhere I go, etc. Any ideas on how to make it taste better? He eats it eventually, but I am sure that once we go to a show he won't.
    -Grace

I wish I could help with the taste, but no ideas here My guy turns down everything but the sweetest feeds, though I'm going to have to find a way around it as I'm looking to pull him off grains as well.

I just happened to be searching around the internet randomly, saw a Makura honey/licorice product and remembered someone on this thread looking for something similar. Seems pricey, but I wouldn't have the slightest idea about the going rate for special honey. $55 a litre here.

http://www.emeraldvalleyequine.com/index.htm?ac=ENCBM-H