The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do ponies DO dressage?

In this country?

I am looking high and low for a pony sized dressage girth (That doesn't cost the moon) and there are few if any, and just FORGET Ebay or Tacktrader....it's as if no ponies do dressage so no need for girths? This is just for a trail ride situation, I don't NEED the $$$$ leather scalloped, 'make you win' dressage girth LOL

What do Pony Club ponies do for dressage?
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

europeantack.com has pony dressage girths.

I really like my Wintec Pro girth - it's 20"

Also try here: http://www.justforponies.com/girths.aspx

And when that fails, look up tack for Icelandic ponies. Icelandic saddles use short girths, and they're tiny, so 14" girths are pretty readily available in that corner of the market!

www.justforponies.com has dressage girths in a variety of materials and prices.

I bought mine on ebay. 18" and 20". But, you can always check out the pony tack store: http://www.justforponies.com/girths.aspx.

My section C welsh is only 13 hands and the 20" Wintec dressage girth works just fine. My other ponies all take 24-28" girths depending on which ones we're talking about but they are 14.1 - 15 hands in size (all welsh cobs).

My 13.1H pony takes a 16" girth. I bought the leather Eponaire Dressage Girth from justforponies. I haven't been able to find this size girth any where else.

The rain, rain, rain came down, down, down

My daughter's 13.2 pony takes a 20 or so. I bought her a Lettia CoolMax girth from Mary's Tack and Feed. Finding the right size bridle for her, that was a nightmare. We still haven't found one that's just right.
    Proud owner of a very pretty but completely useless horse.

My 14.1 pony takes at 24" that I got from Dover, its very gel like. Too small for my 14.3 guy, he takes a 26. I got that from Dover, too.

I tried every possible brand and size on my 14" hand pony and ultimately the very best one (which I wish I had gotten to begin with) was the simple Wintec dressage girth (very reasonably priced). It is the most comfortable for him and the easiest to tack up. Tons of places sell it.

Correction to prior poster's representation. The Wintec Pro does not come as small as a 20." It is the Wintec Elastic Dressage girth that comes in the smaller sizes.

Another vote for Wintec! All our ponies do Dressage... Smallest they make is an 18" but it's hard to find. 20"'s are everywhere. Actually, I think I have one! PM me if you might be interested, I'll look in the meantime. If I still have it, it's brand new, still in the packaging...
    "There is dignity in lightness, truth in patience,
    but only ignorance in force"... www.cedarpinefarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Correction to prior poster's representation. The Wintec Pro does not come as small as a 20." It is the Wintec Elastic Dressage girth that comes in the smaller sizes.
    Any longer. I DO have the Pro - with the equisuede on the outside - not the elastic. My point though was that they DID exist, so it may still be possible to find them (used, ebay, wherever).

I have a nice fuzzy dry-lex girth from justforponies. My pony is actually not a pony, but only because of his big wither- I still had to go to the specialty for his girth (20")!

Yes! But pony dressage riders do have to search high and low for tack. I am afraid pony tack buying has become a bit of an obsesssion for me
    Just for ponies has a nice selection.
    Occassionaly I luck out on ebay...but you obviously can't wait around if you need it to.
    Jo Mckracken of Mobile Tack Supply often finds nice pony tack for me...you might contact her.
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

Hil, I actually may have a girth to suit your needs! I have a Prestige leather girth, and I am pretty sure it is 20" or
    22". It's a beautiful girth, the leather is amazing. I'll message you privately.....the price will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post

What do Pony Club ponies do for dressage?
    In our experience in PC, very few kids had dressage saddles for their ponies - they just used their hunt seat saddles. Some of the older kids with bigger horses did have dressage saddles.

Thorowgood also makes a great, inexpensive girth. I have a 20" and an 18". Ovation has a girth that looks identical, but I'm not sure I could recommend it since the billet holder ripped off on the first use.
    Thorowgood girth

I also like Just for Ponies - I've had great customer service from them.

I have a 13.2 hh rather round pony. I love the Lettia Coolmax girths . I'm almost positive Ruby takes a 22". http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...essage%20girth

They're the best!

ETA: ha ha. My mom posted already. Oops!
    Rebel Without Cash!

Funny thread, not at all what I expected. First off, yes ponies DO dressage. Second, I ditto the suggestion for the Wintec girth. I would've bought a fancier one but my little ones tend to like this little cheapie. Yay for my pocketbook!!! And oh, if you do want to "fancy" it up, you can do what I did which is buy a Fleeceworks girth cover...very la te da!