The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default invited to a hunter pace - Carrollton Hounds

A lovely couple new to my barn has invited me to come to a hunter pace. This sounds fun, I think -- you can choose to not jump at all, do the 2'6", or the 3' fences, and you go out in a pair or larger team. The course is a little over 2 miles.

Please tell me what to expect in terms of turnout, experience, etc. I was planning on wearing my navy dressage coat, tan breeches, black field boots, white show shirt w/ stock tie, and black gloves. Jumping saddle, leather breastplate, white fleece fitted saddle pad, plain brown bridle. I have black woof boots w/ dark green straps that I was considering putting on my horse, but I know that boots are not normally regarded as 'correct' hunter gear. Should I leave my flash noseband at home (which is what we nearly always go in)? Other advice?

Horse and I just completed our first HT (2' fences) together, we hack out very regularly, and she is very sensible outside and with other horses. I am pretty confident of her, but less so of myself. I am leaning towards just doing the pace w/o jumping since it's our first time doing something like this. Thanks!
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Default Hunter Paces

You probably would want to find out more about the expected attire -- in our area, hunter paces tend to be pretty casual (breeches of any color, a comfortable shirt, no hunt coats, no stock ties, no worries about color or type of boots, etc.). I think people might dress slightly more neatly than at your average trail ride, but nothing approaching even informal hunt attire.

You'll have a blast!

That attire is fine as are the boots. The rules state "proper hunting attire is requested of all riders" and what you have describes is ok including the flash.

There is also a class called second fields' choice where you can jump a few jumps if you like or go around if you like. One trail has quite a few logs which are very inviting.

And make sure you buy some raffle tickets for chances on some wonderful items on the raffle table!!
    \"And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door , if their masters\' hearts were steady as they walked beside them.\" The Return of the Ki

Lori B is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

CC -- thanks! Second field's choice sounds perfect for us, thanks! I'm excited, this sounds like a very nice day. And yes, I'll be in for some raffle tickets too. :-)

Original Poster

The Carrollton Hounds website doesn't have the prizelist / info for the hunter pace posted -- does anyone here have that info?

Thanks!

Smile Lots of fun

I've been to the fall hunter pace three times over the past 10 years. I hope to go again this coming weekend, so might see you there. I'll be on the white horse that's a blurr in the field (we usually do fastest time).

There's a nice combination of rolling hill fields and woods. The footing in the woods can get tricky if the weather has been wet -it gets chopped up and there are rocks and logs in some places. I usually bag it if we get a downpour the day before because of the footing. Otherwise, its a lot of fun.

Its pretty casual for turnout, basic english attire. You don't have to braid the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    The Carrollton Hounds website doesn't have the prizelist / info for the hunter pace posted -- does anyone here have that info?

Thanks!
    I got one in the mail last week. If I remember, I'll post the info here tonight.

I did the pace last year and they do require proper attire. But what you have listed will work just fine as CC wrote. It is a good course for a 1st timer, can get around the fences, great terrain, hills/woods, stream crossing, etc. Your flash noseband will be just fine.

Last year I attended and there was a huge turnout as mother nature had a wonderful 50 degree sunny day planned. We rode the course twice and had a great time.

Have fun!

Original Poster

Thanks! The weather for the weekend looks promising, not supposed to rain at the end of the week, and upper 40s are predicted.

Talking I finally remembered!

OK, here's the class list:

1. Taylorsville Hunt Challenge: 3' fastest time
    2. Fast over hurdles. 2'6" fastest time
    3. Fast on Flat
    4. Optimum over fences. 3' max
    5. Optimum over hurdles. 2'6" max
    6. Optimum flat
    7. Jr Optimum time over hurdles. 2'6"
    8. Family Optium time over hurdles. 2'6"
    9. Novice Hunter Optimum. 2'6"
    10. 2nd Fields Choice. Open competition over terrain of choice for teams that prefer to take their time.

Fastest time classes first, then optimum go whenever after that. So, no order really. But, if you want to go fast, need to show up in the morning.

I'm planning to do this on Sun, so Lori B, I might see you! It will be our first time at a hunter pace, so I'm hoping the pone will have fun and not feel like bucking my ass off!

Crossing fingers for good weather!

Is the Carrollton Hunter Pace at Ships Quarters?

Quote Originally Posted by nowoncourse View Post
    Is the Carrollton Hunter Pace at Ships Quarters?
    Yes.
    \"And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door , if their masters\' hearts were steady as they walked beside them.\" The Return of the Ki

Original Poster

Default Waffling...

According to the weather, there is now a 100% chance of rain all day Sunday. :-( It's supposed to start the night before, so it's not like we're likely to get a shot at getting done before the rain starts.

I have a cold, and I don't fancy getting drenched on a 45 degree day on horseback as a treatment plan. So unless the weather report changes strongly to the favorable tomorrow, I think I'll be regretfully bailing on this one. On the off chance that the weather does break our way, can someone PM me the address of Ship's Quarters Farm? There website doesn't include an address, and the flyer at the barn has disappeared. ????

Unhappy Snow, Rain, Stay away!

Here's directions:

1635 Goldsmith Drive, Westminster, MD 21157.

From Rte 27, turn onto Sullivan Rd (right if headed south from Manchester, left if headed north from Westminster).

Go 1/4 mile, take left on Ships Quarter's Ct.

Take Goldsmith Dr., then gravel lane to parking in field on left.

Can't miss it.

If weather is questionable: call 410-434-4252 after 7am

**Rain Date December 7th! **

Original Poster

Outstanding, toowoomba, I am doing the anti-rain and anti-congestion dance as I type.

Try the info. line tonight even. If the weather looks bad, it may be cancelled as early as this evening. If not, a call should be made by 7 am tomorrow. There is a rain date for next Sunday, Dec. 7.

Original Poster

My cold is worse, and so is the weather report for tomorrow. 90% chance of rain starting tonight. Perhaps I'll do the rainout date. Thanks for all the lovely hunting forum encouragement. If not this one, definitely another such ride sounds very appealing.

Default Rain sucks

I'm pretty sure they have one in the spring too!

Original Poster

It was rained out, and they are doing it on December 7, so if the weather cooperates, I'll be trying to go next week!

Now we have to start our anti-rain dance.