The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

Default Anyone had an MRI done? Costs?

We're trying to get to the bottom of a hard-to-diagnose injury. An MRI has been suggested as one of the remaining options. Has anyone had one done? What was the cost? I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm up against and if anyone's had any success with them. Thanks!

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

I don't know the cost, but if you are anywhere near Quebec, I understand there is a very good vet hospital there that does them for much, much less than you can get them done in the US for.
    Pam

Three years ago, we were told $1200 for a standing MRI.

We had a horse(client) go to Fairfield Equine for a couple of days for the procedure and I am thinking it was @$2600 for everything. Insurance covered it as well. The "pictures" were incredible!
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Depends on what tyoe - standing or not

Figure these days somewhere between 2500 and 3500 including the stay at the clinic

My gelding had both front limbs scanned. With two joints injections the total was $2400. I was happy to have a difinative awncer!

We do quite a few MRI's at the clinic I work at here in Lexington. It is a good way to get a confirmed diagnosis of a problem, sometimes seeing injuries which do not show up on Xray, ultrasound, or bone scan.
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

Thanks for the replies so far! It's about what I expected cost wise, but the bad news is that the leg has already been excluded on my policy so I have to fork this one out on my own.

A couple of you mentioned a stay at the clinic---is an overnight stay part of the routine or can he go home same day?

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

Was not required for us - but it did allow time for the follow up work (which we had) and any treatment they might have wanted to do (did not need to do treatment on site).....

A mare at my barn had one done on her fetlock...for whatever reason they could not do it standing and all together the cost was around $3,000. She did not have to stay over night. I think with the "nuke" scan (Nuclear scintigraphy) they have to stay over night due to the radioactive dye in their systems. The MRI was well worth it because now the mare's problem was accurately diagnosed and is being treated.

2200 in oklahoma for hind limbs fetlocks and down. The higher you have to go the more cost go up for anesthesia, interp, ect. An overnight stay was not requred but allowed for treatment the next day.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

$1700 for both front feet this past August.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    I don't know the cost, but if you are anywhere near Quebec, I understand there is a very good vet hospital there that does them for much, much less than you can get them done in the US for.
    Pam
    It may be less than in the US but it is still expensive. The clinic is in St Hyacinthe Quebec, just east of Montreal. If you are in upstate NY, Vermont or NH it is not a far trip but you will have to factor in the cost of transport and probably at least one night stay.

My gelding had a pretty extensive one done (I feel like they did his entire body - can they even do that?) and I seem to recall the bill being around $3,000. Worth every penny though, we were able to pin-point his very unusual injury and get very effective treatment.

1900 for both front feet. Aug 2008
    Great American paid 100% of it.

laying down...
    Last edited by purplnurpl; Nov. 29, 2008 at 10:28 PM.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

$ 1500 for both front feet August 2007. Standing, no admission. Went home the same afternoon.

$1825 for both front feet. Standing MRI. Excellent diagnostic tool, saved my horses life! Had it done at Equigen in Cochranville PA

Insurance excluded the leg we needed, but we went ahead with it and it was worth every penny, without the definitive answer we got from the MRI we would still be poking around and would have ended up spending that much anyways doing a whole lot of nothing to help him. The MRI was totally worth it.