The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default *TB gelding free to good home...not sound for jumping, perfect dressage

I'm trying to place a gelding I have been entertaining for the last year. His owner has FINALLY agreed to let him find a good, forever home.

He's a 15 year old TB gelding. He's black, with a little tiny white sock (so I guess he's not really black). He is 17 hands and gorgeous. But he has some issues.

1. He is not 100% sound. He is not going to be a horse that can show over fences. He stays very sound in consistent, low intensity work. He does best on a 3-5 day program of flatwork. He can pop over a few fences, but if he is jumped around a course, he is lame for a week. He's had significant work up by vets, and has some arthritis, etc. But we do not know the exact cause for his soundness issues. When he is off, he can be brought back to sound with bute for 2-3 days, and turnout. He has a lot more trouble standing still in a stall, and stays much more sound the more he moves. He is very athletic and drop dead gorgeous, but has no future left as a hunter.

2. He can't be turned out with others. He's a bully. Think poor stallion manners. Right now, he goes out with a mini...and he picks on him, but is nicer than he is to bigger horses. He does just fine out by himself though. He's a loner.

3. He's not going to be a trail horse. He goes nuts if you're on his back and he doesn't have 4 "walls" around him. He can be ridden in indoor and outdoor rings, but get him out of there and he is really difficult...think rodeo.

4. His personality is really hard to mesh with. He is a bully, and he is rough to humans on the ground. He does stand, bathe, clip, load, etc. But he's constantly nipping or head butting you. If he is corrected, he gets nasty. If you kind of ignore him, he calms down. He responds REALLY well to positive attention. Grooming, baby talk, petting, etc. He has a long history of neglect and rough handling, and if he gets handed that, he fights back.

5. He can be a rodeo horse. If he spooks or is high, there is a lot of up and down action. It doesn't bother me...but would scare a beginner. He needs someone experienced, that can sit out his temper tantrums and not be afraid to reprimand him. He's not violent or dangerous, but as I mentioned, is really athletic, and while it's easy to ride out for someone experienced, he would cause a beginner to hang up their boots forever.

He's not a horse that's going to be fixed. He's not a project. He is the way he is, and we are trying to find someone that will love him in spite of all of this. I would take him if I had the money. I personally adore him, and all his jerkiness. He can be really sweet. He loves having a person of his own, and he's sadly been orphaned a lot of his life. THe woman that owns him was and still is a beginner and is terrified of him, and had "trainers" work with him to "scare him straight" all of which has backfired. I've been giving him all the love that I can, but I have my own horses to look after too. He looooves to be fussed over. Loves to be the center of attention, and a lot of his issues have evolved over the last few years, in an effort to get attention. When he's in a consistent program with a person loving on him everyday, he is a real character and loads of fun.

He is located in Pittsburgh, PA, but can go anywhere, to the right home. His soundness is FAR better in the summer, so a warm climate would be ideal for him. Sooo if anyone wants more info, pictures, etc. Let me know. We want whoever is interested in taking him to know all of him up front, so that you're not caught off gaurd, and so we can find him a forever home. This guy really deserves some time all to himself.
    Last edited by FindersKeepers; Dec. 3, 2008 at 09:16 PM.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

The thing about these kinds of horses is that they are so smart and can clue in on a person's weakness. Personally, I LOVE these kinds of horses, but I don't need another one. Here's a bump to try to find him his person.

another bump.... they say there's a person for every horse.

It's going to be a special one for this grumpy old guy!

p.s. I meant the horse..... not me!

Thanks so much for the bumps!

He really is fun, and despite all his quirkiness, I absolutely adore him. I just don't have the funds to take him. I've been his foster mommy for over a year now, in all aspects except paying his bills. I know my description sounds unattractive...but we really want to make sure he gets the right home.

He really deserves a person of his own that will love him in spite of his flaws.

Ideally, he'd be a great for a dressage re-rider. Someone that has experience, isn't terrified by some antics, and will ride him in basic dressage 3-5 days a week.

I wish I could take him, I love the "spunky" ones! Sadly I already have too many of them . Hope you find someone that will be a perfect match and enjoy him.

he would be a good companion horse, in all sense of the word feild mate buddy mate
    and the beauty is he dont mind being on his own i bet

He can't be a companion horse. He doens't play well with others. He has to be alone.

If someone just needed another horse in a field, he would work great...but he can't be in the same field with another horse.

Bump for my buddy.

Come on, there has to be a COTHer out there that has a little room in their heart for this guy...

Another bump. There has to be someone willing to take this guy. Maybe if I post some pictures...