The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

http://www.ernordic.com/merchant/mer...ategory_Code=4

These are what I wear up here on my ears. They are perfect. I used to wear them when I nordic ski raced, but now wear them under my helmet. One pair I've had for 10 years. They are perfect for keeping the ears warm.

I did trot sets yesterday in a foot of fluffy snow.

There are these full seat (deerskin) breeches that are made with some sort of neoprene-like material that are UBELIEVABLY warm, in any kind of wind or arctic temperatures. They're Polartech. I'm talking, it's like they are electronically heated or something, lol. I got mine I believe in a dressage catalog, or was it Dover? If you can find them, and I'm sure they're everywhere, you will NOT need full chaps

Another major benefit about these is that the deerskin seat is so incredibly grippy that you can sit the biggest silly moment or spook imaginable without a problem, Lol. And we all know how those like to come about in sub freezing temperatures.

The only downside of these breeches (and I'm old enough now not to give a crap) is that they are not the most flattering things in the world. They're thick. But who cares... your bum will be happily toasty.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Default From the skin out

I start with Under Armor- it is stretchy and warm, fits under jeans and breeches. A bit on the pricey side, but worth it. I hate longjohns because they bunch up when you ride, UA doesn't.
    Move on to jeans and full chaps with insulated boots on my feet ( I am done for if my feet get cold)
    If its really blowing wind I put my Rambo waterproof pants on over the chaps.
    I worked outside all last winter sitting on a horse and managed to stay warm
    Last edited by pinkdiamondracing; Nov. 24, 2008 at 02:02 AM.
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Default great breeches

I think their called Classic Equine. i bought mine from Smartpak. they come in blue. They have a thin fleece lining. Comfortable, warm - I never sweat in them. Those Mountain horse Fusion boots are great!

Be careful of full chaps - they can really wear the seat of your saddle. Probably not so bad for jumping or hacking. I really would do deep seated dressage work in them.

Default thumb's up full chaps

My vote is also with the full chaps. My full chaps kept my legs warm in the low teens up to mid-thirties. Also keeps the wind off.

I used to wear mine over jeans so if that's your preference you ought to be fine. I'm not a big fan of long underwear, even the silk because it just feels "bunchy."

All that said, I'm trying a new approach for cold weather riding this year. And am a little apprehensive about NOT wearing my trusty full chaps.

Just bought the Mt. Horse RimFrost tall boots because I have terrible time with my hands and feet which get cold, then swell and blister. So I need something I can put on that keeps my feet warm and dry while slogging out in slushy puddles, frozen mud, and snow to get my mare---then keep on for riding. Plan to layer it with Under Armor and wear with my regular breeches.

As for warm gloves, I've used the Mt. horse winter gloves and they work great. Plus they're really affordable. My instructor uses and recommends simple fleece mittens. Says she just pulls her pinky back to accommodate the reins and it's really effective.

Another vote for UnderArmour tights under fleecy breeches (the WindPro fleece type are AWESOME, I have some from Kerrits and some from Irideon). Just can't do chaps. If I'm teaching or taking a break between horses I'll throw on sweats or workout pants over the breeches for an extra layer if its cold enough, but it was 19 degrees Saturday morning and I was perfectly comfy with UA and breeches.

On top I had a UA turtleneck, Port Authority bonded fleece barn jacket, a HorseWear winter jacket (until I warmed up riding) and a fleece gaiter to keep my neck and ears warm (until I warmed up).

I love under armour. :-)

Jennifer

http://www.greenhawk.ca/cgi-local/So...dd9+1227515258

I just bought these, hasn't been cold enough to use them riding yet, but standing around the barn/arena is colder than riding and they are very toasty.

I don't mind chaps - and in winter, sometimes I'll do long underwear, jeans, and my full chaps, they're pretty good for keeping you warm. Otherwise it's long underwear, fleecy breeches, and my full seat riding snowpants. Yes, I'm a retard about the cold.

A very heavy wool sock from Cabela's to keep the piggies warm. Yeah, I know, I look like a lumber jack with them. To fit into tall boots or half chaps, I cut the top of the sock off at the ankle.

You know what Im trying out this winter for those freezing road hacks up here in Canada?

Those old timey 70s ski racing pants. I figure they are less bulky than snow pants, but still warm. Ill let you know.

Other than that, I wear ski socks, with wool ones over top, in Ariat winter paddock boots with half chaps 2 sizes too big to fit over my clothes. 1-3 layers of long johns under my breeches, depending on the day, and 1-3 under my hoody. On top of that, I have a down vest, down jacket liner, and an old snowboarding jacket. I wear all three if its really cold. Then I have a helmet cozy cover, which sometimes I put on my too big helmet so I can fit a balaclava underneath as well. I also have ski giggles for the really cold hacking days. SSG winter gloves, but when its really cold I put my big mittens overtop, and hack holding the reins in a fist.

I have full seat riding "snowpants" too - they keep your butt warm when not on the horse, which chaps don't do. My chaps are entirely comfortable off the horse. They were new last year, and were stiff at first, but broke in beautifully.

They are really warm b/c they cut the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthehorse View Post
    You know what Im trying out this winter for those freezing road hacks up here in Canada?

Those old timey 70s ski racing pants. I figure they are less bulky than snow pants, but still warm. Ill let you know.

Other than that, I wear ski socks, with wool ones over top, in Ariat winter paddock boots with half chaps 2 sizes too big to fit over my clothes. 1-3 layers of long johns under my breeches, depending on the day, and 1-3 under my hoody. On top of that, I have a down vest, down jacket liner, and an old snowboarding jacket. I wear all three if its really cold. Then I have a helmet cozy cover, which sometimes I put on my too big helmet so I can fit a balaclava underneath as well. I also have ski giggles for the really cold hacking days. SSG winter gloves, but when its really cold I put my big mittens overtop, and hack holding the reins in a fist.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

For colder weather, I do wear my chaps. I need to find some warmer breeches to wear though because a couple of the horses I ride rub my legs in my chaps. I don't have that problem with boots and breeches.

I have to laugh with all the cold comments I used to relate to you but now I am cold when it drops below 50 Texas has messed up my body's thermostat. When it is 30 degrees in the morning and 75 degrees by afternoon, it's hard to get used to the cold. I vaguely remember really cold weather and galloped at Hawthorne and Sportsmans in Cicero....now those were some chilly mornings And riding in the fresh snow in the northwest suburbs. That was the best. There is nothing better than a good gallop in the fresh snow

I like the fleece ear warmers that attach directly to the helmet. I think Big Ds carries them for around $8.00 per pair. They work great and really keep your ears warm!

Default Another Canadian here...

I don't find silk is a very good base layer, I LOVE "Woolpower" brand long johns from Sweden. Marino wool, so comfy and warm and satisfies my need to not buy anything made in China. I also have under shirts, a thin balaclava that fits perfectly under my J3, socks and full zip sweaters from them. Lasts forever too.
    For my second layer I go with Irideon winter breechs and then finally suede full chaps and Columbia Bugaboo short boots.
    I also find the Thinsulate deerskin gloves work well.
    I am sure I look ridiculous out there but I am old enough to no longer care.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthehorse View Post

good god, I dont' think I could MOVE with that many layers of clothing on let alone actually ride

Quote Originally Posted by imapepper View Post
    For colder weather, I do wear my chaps. I need to find some warmer breeches to wear though because a couple of the horses I ride rub my legs in my chaps. I don't have that problem with boots and breeches.

I have to laugh with all the cold comments I used to relate to you but now I am cold when it drops below 50 Texas has messed up my body's thermostat. When it is 30 degrees in the morning and 75 degrees by afternoon, it's hard to get used to the cold. I vaguely remember really cold weather and galloped at Hawthorne and Sportsmans in Cicero....now those were some chilly mornings And riding in the fresh snow in the northwest suburbs. That was the best. There is nothing better than a good gallop in the fresh snow
    My legs got really bad rubs last winter riding 10 a day, so I invested in a pair of elastic leggings. http://www.bitofbritain.com/Equestri...ins_p/0288.htm Best $20 I ever spent. I wear them beneath breeches/jeans under my chaps, so no rubs even when things bunch up under the stirrup leathers. I've also used them during the summer, when I get raw patches on my shins... bandaids help, but these leggings will allow the wounds to fully heal.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Default Chaps are okay

I would suppose it would depend on how cold tollerant you are. I live in MN and don't bother putting on the long winter underware until it gets to be about zero. Of course, most of my friends are then on their second pair or breaking out their Carharts. LOL. Layers work best. Wool, silk, dryweave synthetic next to the skin work best... they stay warm but the sweat isn't trapped against your body like with cotton. Invest in good wool socks and a good water/wind resistant or insultated glove. Chaps will add warmth but I found I wear mine about as often as I wear my winter riding boots (about never). Personally, if you are wearing chaps, whatever you have under them (jeans, breeches) shouldn't make them fit too snug or you might actually find yourself feeling colder. I only wear a winter jacket at my husband's insistence. Often I will just keep one in the car and wear a few light weight layers with a wool sweater and a vest. Layers can actually be quite warm and allow you to move.

Best advice I can give -- keep moving. If you are still for too long, the cold creeps up on you quick. I have no problems with -10 or -15 below out... as long as I keep moving around.

Stay warm and have fun.