The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Black Country Wexford

I just ordered a Black Country Wexford from a lady in the UK. I was just wondering if anyone out there had the saddle and what their feedback was. I have the Eden dressage and LOVE it. I had an older Quantum a while back and the balance point was too long; I felt like I had to fight it to stay in 2 point. Thanks!

Default I think it is the same

I just looked up the Wexford I think it is the same saddle I just bought, bought mine used, so not 100% sure on the model... but I luv mine.

First real ride in it was a lost Hunt. spent 3 hours out riding good portion in 2 point and felt great the whole time... hope you like it
    ~OMGiH I LOFF my Mare~ clique
    ~When life hands you lemons, get some tequila and salt, and call me over!!~

Have had mine for a year and a half, and I love it. Started baby OTTB in it, and it is comfy and secure.

I sat in one at Rolex and immediately fell in love with Black Country! That thing felt like a sofa As soon as my young OTTB quits growing (we're at 17++), I'd like to find a BC for him, but I'm more interested in the Vinici Tex Eventer. I like a bit more room behind my seat with a lower cantle. Landing on the cantle after a big drop BITES!!!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I see the Black Country people every year at Rolex and always stop to drool over the Wexford and sit in one. I can't wait for mine to come in! The turn around time is really, really good. It should be built in 2 weeks and my rep says that I'll have it just a few days after that! Can't beat that for a custom saddle. Also, the exchange rate for buying overseas is really good right now!

I love BCs but prefer the Quantum to the Wexford FOR ME. Maybe the Quantum has a narrower twist? At any rate, I just love how it allows me to find a good balance. The Wexford is beloved by many and has the same gorgeous BC workmanship.

I had a hybrid Wexford-Tex eventer made for my horse...could ride in it all day. He unfortunately grew out of it and fitter went out of business. If i ever have a horse to hunt that can go in this saddle, I'll go all day and NEVER worry if I'm "safe in the tack"...hope your saddle is as nice as mine. Just wish it wasn't for sale.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I had an older Quantum once and had to fight against it to keep my balance because of the longer balance point. I'm hoping for the security of the Wexford to help me out psychologically b/c I'm a big wimp when it comes to jumping! I think that Black Country saddlery is one of the best saddle companies out there; I just wonder how long it will take before it becomes really popular here in the US!

Default Love my BC!

I ride in a Quantum and really feel comfortable and secure in it. Such a beautful, well-made saddle. BC is so easy to work with and I finally found a complany that makes truly excellent saddles for wide-back beasts like mine! I do drool over that Wexford. Might try one sooner or later, because the reviews I've heard so far is they are even more comfy. Note: Did you get the Serge wool panels? I have them and they are awesome!

No, I didn't get the serge panels. I don't like how they look after they have been used for a while. They start to fade or something strange. I have the exact opposite problem than a broad back: my horse has very big, long shark fin withers to go with his extremely tall and narrow body! I had to take pics of him and send to BC so they could take a look. The fitter that I was using said he is the most narrow horse he's seen/worked with! I can't wait to see my saddle... I got the dk brown vintage leather with schrumph seat/knee pads and gold welting (like the Maelstrom). If only I could get a saddle with velcro to hold me in I'm a big wimp jumping... especially XC!

Sounds gorgeous! I used to have that same narrow horse. It's funny that I now have the exact opposite horse! However, this week my trainer pointed out that I need to put in a front riser pad now after we've worked so hard getting my mare fit. My draft cross now actually has muscles where she never did before.

I'm a bit of a wimp too. My advice--leather full seats and that super sticky spray for your lower leg. It works for me, well so does the riding without stirrups over gymnastics too. Oy!

Quote Originally Posted by n2dressage View Post
    No, I didn't get the serge panels. I don't like how they look after they have been used for a while. They start to fade or something strange. I have the exact opposite problem than a broad back: my horse has very big, long shark fin withers to go with his extremely tall and narrow body! I had to take pics of him and send to BC so they could take a look. The fitter that I was using said he is the most narrow horse he's seen/worked with! I can't wait to see my saddle... I got the dk brown vintage leather with schrumph seat/knee pads and gold welting (like the Maelstrom). If only I could get a saddle with velcro to hold me in I'm a big wimp jumping... especially XC!

Big fan of full seat breeches! It seems to be a mental thing with me... i've conquered my horse on the flat; we are showing 2nd level dressage and schooling 3rd. He evented with my trainer up to training before I bought him... i just have to get my confidence up over fences now! Don't think I care for the jumping without stirrups... he's so narrow it would be like jumping a 2 x 4! No where to go side to side to keep from falling off; at least he has a very long neck, though! And he is a gymnastic machine! (its those single fences that are our nemesis!)