The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Share your favorite Sires

I'm on the fence if I'm breeding anything in 09, but am looking around for eventing or jumper stallions for my TB and/or an Irish Draught mare. Since its getting colder, there is more time to cruise around stallion shopping. So, if you could have a horse by any available sire (ID or non-ID), who would you pick? Love to hear what you like about them (what puts them your favorite list).
    Last edited by horsetales; Nov. 23, 2008 at 01:33 PM.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

No complaints about my Mountain Pearl baby.

I still wish I'd gotten a foal by A Fine Romance.

Formula One is yummy.

Catherston Dazzler is to die for, IMO--although his foals don't have a reputation of being "easy", which I would need for sure!

That's not a very adventurous list, I'm afraid--haven't done any serious stallion-shopping for a long time. Closest I've come is trying to find a homozygous EE perlino tobiano Welsh stallion so I can get my dream pony: a buckskin pinto out of my Piebald Shetland.
    Click here before you buy.

Mountain Pearl makes nice, athletic babies, have to agree.

I've been nothing but impressed with the A Fine Romance babies I've seen (though, I've never known one up close and personal).

I LOVE Brandenburg's Windstar, though I've heard mixed reviews on how good they are as ammy horses (assuming that's what you are looking for). I've known a couple that are ammy horses, and they are great.

Formula One is a handsome guy, but I'd like to see his babies doing stuff before I make a judgement call.

I am waiting on pins and needles for the two Catherston Dazzler babies that will be on the ground summer 09!!!!

And, not a ID but a great cross for a TB mare, I LOVE Ideal babies, and they make great ammy babies. Very athletic, but sweet and easy.

Jumbo, especially if you have a pretty mare. If your mare is not a looker, you'll still get an athletic horse with a great brain but most likely not a beauty contest winner. Jumbo is ID x TB

Catherston Dazzler is a nice match for a TB mare. He really stamps his offspring so you'll get a bay or brown, short-coupled horse who loves to gallop and jump, and moves well enough to win the dressage, although it won't be his favorite phase. My CD mare is lively and has an opinion but she's not difficult. She's also got a fantastic friendly temperament which she did not get from her mother. CD is 5/8ths TB, 1/4 Dutch and 1/8 ID.

Well I have a Pallas Digion gelding now that just turned 6 and is super brained, attractive, and relatively easy to deal with for being so young. They do have a playful streak from what I hear (glad it isn't just mine) and because they are athletic they can have one hell of a buck, spin, rear if they are in a mood, but never naughty just have a hard time containing themselves. We like Owen so much we are expecting a Pallas baby in May, so hopefully this one is just as nice. They are above average movers and with some work get quite a bit of suspension in the trot, and the walk and canter are to die for with no work at all.

Brandenburg's Windstar has made some lovely babies around these here parts!! (I'm a working student at Windchase )

I love Moorpark Image. He's young for a stallion, but every one of his babies I've seen have been drop dead gorgeous. One of them (Kilronan's Image) was tearing it up in the FEH shows the last I heard. Great movers, good temperaments, and amazing conformation. There's one at the farm that I've been drooling over since he turned 2, and his mother was apparently very average. He's on the light side for the Traditional draughts, so I like him for either TB's or RID's. He's never had a coarse baby, and they've all been really athletic, even the full blooded ID's. I would definitely breed to him if I was looking for a stud.

As far as WB studs, I really like Emillion and Tenerife. Tenerife's babies are VERY cheeky though. Gorgeous, but real pills, and you have to know how to deal with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppers mom View Post
    I love Moorpark Image. He's young for a stallion, but every one of his babies I've seen have been drop dead gorgeous. One of them (Kilronan's Image) was tearing it up in the FEH shows the last I heard. Great movers, good temperaments, and amazing conformation. There's one at the farm that I've been drooling over since he turned 2, and his mother was apparently very average. He's on the light side for the Traditional draughts, so I like him for either TB's or RID's. He's never had a coarse baby, and they've all been really athletic, even the full blooded ID's. I would definitely breed to him if I was looking for a stud.
    I love him and he is on my short list to use in the near future. I know KI, but its good to hear from someone who has seen some other offspring - thanks.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Cavalier Royale...yummy, yummy, yummy!
    Oh, and Radajah Z....LOVE HIM! :]

I've had 2 Cicera's Icewater's out of a TB mare - great bone, fabulous movers - oldest is coming 2 so won't know about rideability yet
    My A Fine Romance filly is super as well,

Windstar's babies (out of TB mares at least) are VERY athletic but prone to using that athleticism for their own purpose. When you can channel that purpose to match yours, they are amazing.

He has several 'relatives' on his sire's side who are Advanced horses and Arthur is his most accomplished offpring, and there is at least one other (mabye 2?) who are also going Advanced. So the possibility for upper level eventing is there for sure.

But I would not suggest him for an amateur looking for an easy ride to bring along for themselves.

Reputed Testamony - I'm IN LOVE with the colt we had this year. He's so balanced and well put together.

I'm dying to breed one or two of my mares to Catherston Dazzler.

I have a 2 year old by the RID stallion Its The Luck of The Irish, and he is one of the easiest youngsters I've ever delt with. Nothing fazes him.
    -Jessica

If you don't mind spots...

Both Confetti Farm studs produce excellent event and dressage horses. The older stud was an eventer and she has youtube videos so you can see how awesome he was. My mare is also out of a JG Appaloosa stud, Waps Applause. They are located in PA. Though the horses excell in the hunter ring many go on to owners who do well in dressage and eventing. My gelding is out of that line and is quite nice in dressage. The also have great temperments; no appy stubborn stuff and are NOT spotted quarter horses. They are breed to be sporthorse first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    No complaints about my Mountain Pearl baby.

I still wish I'd gotten a foal by A Fine Romance.

Formula One is yummy.

Catherston Dazzler is to die for, IMO--although his foals don't have a reputation of being "easy", which I would need for sure!

That's not a very adventurous list, I'm afraid--haven't done any serious stallion-shopping for a long time. Closest I've come is trying to find a homozygous EE perlino tobiano Welsh stallion so I can get my dream pony: a buckskin pinto out of my Piebald Shetland.
    Did something happen to A Fine Romance?
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Cozymyn - out of Cozys Commander. Doug Dean in Canada owns him. I adore my youngster out of a Dutch mare. I would breed to him if I had the chance!

Eventer 55, I think deltawave was referring to the fact that her mare was not able to get in foal to him...I believe Fred (A Fine Romance) is doing fine.

Phew I plan on breeding to him. . .
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by sharri13 View Post
    Cozymyn - out of Cozys Commander. Doug Dean in Canada owns him. I adore my youngster out of a Dutch mare. I would breed to him if I had the chance!
    Sharri - Do you have a website or contacto info for Doug Dean/Cozymyn? Feel free to PM if you prefer. Thanks heaps

Did something happen to A Fine Romance?
    Nonononono, I didn't mean to imply that Fred is/was anything but A-OK. My lament was indeed that my Gwennie couldn't "catch" when bred to him. Not his fault--she was just too old.
    Click here before you buy.

My A Fine Romace Baby story (sorry DW, NOT trying to rub salt):
    She turned 6months old last Thursday( where does time go), and had a manicure (her first as a weanling) due on Friday. Just as the farrier arrived on Friday, all her barn buddies were being turned out. I pulled her out of her stall and took her to the trimming place, where she'd never been before; all of her other trims had been with her mother either out in the field or in a stall.
    Baby Vida stood absolutely still as a rock and held her feet absolutely still for the whole time her farrier ws working on her!!! Can you say one proud mummy????!!
    So, OP, if you're interested at all, I heartily recommend you check out AFR- you won't be disappointed.
    Sadly, all the other babies I have worked with were long ago, and the sires are sadly no longer with us, but I do covet me an Aberjack baby.