The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr. 10, 2006
    Posts
    7,425

    Default So it has been 6 weeks.

    I took some new pics of my guy tonight. Seeing him everyday, I hadn't realized how much he has changed.

    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...04109739NXUNGF

    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...04109739xBuRme

    He is a 1988 TB gelding. When he came he looked as if he was dunzo, and his old owner was going to put him down... but something about him said he was not done! Clearly not, because he has bounced back rather well. We had a scary episode about 3 weeks ago but since then he has improved tenfold.

    He's been on a grass hay buffet, probiotics, and just recently back on some grain... adding some protein and fat a little at a time. Been worming him pretty aggressively too. As much turnout as we can and lots of moving those legs around to keep the fluid going. Now that he is stable we are tackling the more "minor" things like his feet, teeth, body soreness, etc.

    I have a new respect for you guys who rehab regularly, or do it for a living. It is a time consuming and at times emotional roller coaster but gosh how nice to see them flourish. I've done it a few times with young horses and typically all they need is good feed and TLC. This guy has been a real experiment because his system is far more sensitive.

    I debated posting but thought I would, as I think he is a true example of how resilient horses can be, given the chance. Even the old ones! I know I personally needed to be reminded of that.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2001
    Posts
    15,233

    Default

    Great Job! He looks MUCH better!!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 31, 2003
    Posts
    18,472

    Default

    Awwwww Flash, he looks so much better! I just want to kiss his little nose. Maybe I will get to, someday?!!!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr. 16, 2007
    Location
    way out west
    Posts
    972

    Default

    Flash he looks amazing!

    Just look at the change in his eye. Really he looks happy now, not all distant.
    And feeling better in his body doesn't hurt either.

    Keep up the good work. I'm so glad he has you
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2005
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    3,122

    Default WOW

    He is looking SOOOO much better... I can't believe how much his chest and neck have filled out already.

    Good Job... I can see you posting a pic of him this time next year of you two going for a ride. :-)
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr. 10, 2006
    Posts
    7,425

    Default

    Hey thanks guys. He's got a big heart, and just needed a chance.

    For the first 2-3 weeks, he wouldn't move at all when turned out. But last weekend... he was bucking, cantering, and looking pretty darn sound. It put a huge smile on my face to see him acting happy and goofy!

    EqT he has a VERY kissable nose! I will admit to snogging him on a regular basis. He just kind of looks at me like WHAT are you doing but I secretly think he likes it. Your advice and encouragement the last 1.5 months has been so very much appreciated. Truth be told, if we had been closer, I would have sent him to you for the winter!!!

    Cater I cannot wait to post under saddle pics next spring!!! The mission this winter is to find a saddle for the shark fin! Ha ha.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 2, 2008
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    I took some new pics of my guy tonight. Seeing him everyday, I hadn't realized how much he has changed.

    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...04109739NXUNGF

    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...04109739xBuRme

    He is a 1988 TB gelding. When he came he looked as if he was dunzo, and his old owner was going to put him down... but something about him said he was not done! Clearly not, because he has bounced back rather well. We had a scary episode about 3 weeks ago but since then he has improved tenfold.

    He's been on a grass hay buffet, probiotics, and just recently back on some grain... adding some protein and fat a little at a time. Been worming him pretty aggressively too. As much turnout as we can and lots of moving those legs around to keep the fluid going. Now that he is stable we are tackling the more "minor" things like his feet, teeth, body soreness, etc.

    I have a new respect for you guys who rehab regularly, or do it for a living. It is a time consuming and at times emotional roller coaster but gosh how nice to see them flourish. I've done it a few times with young horses and typically all they need is good feed and TLC. This guy has been a real experiment because his system is far more sensitive.

    I debated posting but thought I would, as I think he is a true example of how resilient horses can be, given the chance. Even the old ones! I know I personally needed to be reminded of that.
    You can just see on his face how much better he feels. You did a great job. I am so impressed with everyone who does this, you can really tell in the horses face how proud and special he now feels. SO great!!!!



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct. 3, 2002
    Location
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here
    Posts
    12,079

    Default

    You rock. He rocks. You needed each other desperately.

    You know he's old(er) and there is risk. You are doing it anyway.

    If you showed me just the eyes before and today, I'm not sure I wouldn't argue it was two different horses.

    'tis a very, very Good Thing.

    The mission this winter is to find a saddle for the shark fin! Ha ha.
    Be careful. I suspect you will NOT be dealing with sharkfins come spring. I think you'll be pretty amazed at the topline that comes back. Mark my words!
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug. 8, 2004
    Location
    Back in the 'nati
    Posts
    3,469

    Default

    I'm so glad you posted! I followed your original thread on him but never posted. I've been wondering how he was doing, and he looks fantastic! I had to do a little rehab on my own horse this spring, and I know how great it is to see them feeling good again. I'm really glad you guys found each other



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr. 10, 2006
    Posts
    7,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    You rock. He rocks. You needed each other desperately.

    You know he's old(er) and there is risk. You are doing it anyway.

    If you showed me just the eyes before and today, I'm not sure I wouldn't argue it was two different horses.

    'tis a very, very Good Thing.

    Be careful. I suspect you will NOT be dealing with sharkfins come spring. I think you'll be pretty amazed at the topline that comes back. Mark my words!
    It is amazing how his expression has changed... when he came he had hollows above his eye, a worried, sad look... now he is bright and chirpy and busy looking for the next bucket of food...

    I'm hoping the added amino/protein beef him up! I am pretty surprised actually at how much his neck/topline is evolving already. I have nothing but time and really had NO expectations for him-- figured at best he may end up being a pasture ornament. But now I am starting to think he will return to a regular riding routine, eventually... next summer maybe??

    Thanks everyone for the kind words. If nothing else I hope it encourages other folks to take a chance on an older horse. I certainly had my reservations, but am very glad I did it...
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2001
    Posts
    15,233

    Default

    What are you feeding him for protein/aminos?



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr. 10, 2006
    Posts
    7,425

    Default

    LMH... I had some Progressive GB & Envision left from Dan. It has been slow going introducing it to Windsor as he seems quite sensitive, to the fat especially. But it has certainly helped him beef up.

    I love the Progressive but I may switch to something more locally accessible. Up here I can only really get Blue Seal, Nutrena, Purina and TC. I have to have the Progressive drop shipped, unfortunately. I am kind of weighing the costs of keeping him on it vs. switching him to something else.

    But... If I go off the Progressive I may end up making a "homemade" RB for him. He seems to do ok on a whole lot of forage so I am kind of looking at continuing that and just adding something like Uckele's Tri-Aminos, a vit/min supp, probios, and flax in a beet pulp or hay pellet base. Dunno, gotta do a bit more research and weigh the cost options...
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    6,172

    Default

    He looks great! I agree, there's such a change in his expression... I love the one of him straight-on from the cross-ties; he looks so happy and interested, like, "Whatcha doin', mom?" He's adorable. (:



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct. 3, 2002
    Location
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here
    Posts
    12,079

    Default

    Flash--Triple Crown 30% comes in very, VERY close to Progressive Grass if that's what you're using. I did a spread sheet. It and Poulin's MVP about tied for 'almost identical.'

    Just a thought.

    OTOH, I went off RB and back to 'falf pellets, flax and vits/mins when the RB went through the roof on top of being difficult to get. (schedule-wise, mine and tack store where I ordered do NOT mesh)
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr. 10, 2006
    Posts
    7,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    Flash--Triple Crown 30% comes in very, VERY close to Progressive Grass if that's what you're using. I did a spread sheet. It and Poulin's MVP about tied for 'almost identical.'

    Just a thought.

    OTOH, I went off RB and back to 'falf pellets, flax and vits/mins when the RB went through the roof on top of being difficult to get. (schedule-wise, mine and tack store where I ordered do NOT mesh)
    Thanks PP!! That is good to know.

    At first he just got hay, hay, and more hay! Just grass hay so lacking a lot of the vit/min/protein I would have liked him to be getting. He spat out alfalfa cubes for the first few weeks and was kind of funny about eating in general.... Then I got overzealous and added a little grain, but he had that weird swelling episode, so backed off.

    We pulled blood, I wormed him really well, and then got the all clear to add grain back in. Since then he has REALLY made a comeback! I'd say the last 3 weeks were huge for him. He is a chowhound now and from the look of him he seems to be utilizing his food better as well.

    I love the Progressive, it is such a high quality product, must try to convince a local dealer to start carrying it! I was happy to ship it in for Dan cause it really was what he thrived on. If I can find something a little more convenient for Win that will do a similar job it would be helpful. Otherwise we'll just have to keep sending the 18 wheeler to my house!

    Anyway thanks all for letting me ramble. And hey McVillesMom I hope your horse is doing ok too!!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep. 8, 2007
    Posts
    2,917

    Default

    He looks wonderful! He is very lucky to have you, and I suspect he knows that!! Keep up the good work. I'm sort of rehabbing my own new guy. He's only five but awfully thin and can use some TLC, which he gets large doses of. Nice inspiration with your pictures for us.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    May. 6, 2006
    Location
    Warren, NJ
    Posts
    3,742

    Default

    Flash, you are a goldstar to this horse!
    Well done, thank you for caring so much for this special fella.
    He looks happy to me!!! Great job!



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2001
    Posts
    15,233

    Default

    The mineral profile of PN and TC are not what I would call very very close



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2005
    Location
    Lovely Central Massachusetts
    Posts
    607

    Default

    WOW! Flash, you done good. The light is back in his eyes.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep. 25, 2005
    Location
    The Land of the Frozen
    Posts
    13,787

    Default

    Awwww great job! He looks like Gem Twist!



Similar Threads

  1. 175 FEC to Zero in 4 weeks
    By BoyleHeightsKid in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jul. 2, 2012, 03:42 PM
  2. What's harder to wait for, the first two weeks or the last two weeks?
    By pal-o-mino in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jun. 25, 2012, 10:58 AM
  3. 6 Weeks In . . .
    By SmallHerd in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Oct. 20, 2011, 06:19 AM
  4. If you had two weeks...
    By 4Martini in forum Eventing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Oct. 17, 2011, 02:28 PM
  5. 6 weeks and still NQR...
    By caryledee in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Apr. 8, 2010, 02:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness