The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

[QUOTE=pintopiaffe;3671473]There are some--not well known--studies that show flax may inhibit thyroid function. Now, in what quantities, I do NOT know. But I would consult both vet (whom I would not expect to even know about that!) and perhaps something like the Cushings LIst on Yahoo for people who might have more current information, or experience.

Do you have a link to any of these studdies? I would be interested to read them as I just started my horses back on ground flax.

Does keeping ground flax in the freezer help it stay good longer? We have an extra fridge/freezer in the barn and could put it in there if that would help. But then again, is freezing it bad?

So people literally feed a handful and that is it?
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

I've started feeding flax, I bought the whole so it lasts longer but had heard the ground is better absorbed so I put my 1/2 cup in the coffee grinder and then feed it right away.

I've been getting mine here http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/Prod...FT00FQodtVKERQ and it has lasted just fine. I get the 20# plastic pail to feed 2 ponies, and it lasts a couple of months and stays quite fresh. LOVE the stuff.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Laurie, thanks for the info and link to Getty! I just ordered some to try. I have been on the fence about starting flax, or omega horseshine (but my guy is on Plat. perf and I had posted about over-supplementing worries). He only gets the recommended scoop of PP CJ 2x per day so I know even though the PP is flax-based, he's not getting a true serving of flax if that makes sense. There's so many other things in the PP I figure he might be getting a few TBSP's of flax at most. Also loved that your link store accepts Paypal and I had some money in my account to spend, so that made it very easy.

I can't wait to try it!

How much should I start with?? I'll be giving it once per day when I give him "lunch". Thanks!

I buy bags from the feed mill and grind in a coffe grinder when i make up feeds. I often eat it myself, I think it is yummy! I give it to my show horses and one guy that gets the summer itch thing and boy did it help him! His midline did not get raw nor did he do all the scratching he had in past years. Nice bloom to everyones's coats,

Called my feed store today. They sell whole flax in 50 lb. bags for $28.50. I'll pick some up for home use but went ahead and ordered some from Getty since I need some ground and stabilized to send off with my boy going into training. I can't expect someone else to be screwing around with coffee grinders or food processors...*I* don't even want to do that part.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL