The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I know, I know, it's been done BUT...Flax?

Recently I had moved my TB to my friend's new farm. The feeds she uses are completely different from what he was getting fed at the old farm. After a couple weeks I noticed that daammmn! My horse looks good!! I asked her what she was feeding him and she said she throws in a handful of flax with his night grain.
    I have never fed him flax, although he gets corn oil and is also on BioIsoG supplement. Obviously the shiny coat is an indicator, but what exactly does flax do for them? Is it safe to mix in with feed and sups? Also, long term-benefits, concerns, and is it safe to buy a big bag and just leave until it is done? Or does it go bad?? Thanks

I have a friend that feeds her mare flax for the calming benefits. I thought she was nuts, but then I rode with her and this mare and the mare is much less "mare-y".
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

Ground flax doesn't last very long at all--it oxides quickly. Whole flax will store nearly forever. You can feed it whole or ground, and it's rich in omega 3s. You can toss flax in with you feed and supplements...no worries there. Some horses don't like whole flax, and will go off their feed, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for yours

You can also buy ground flax that's been heat-stabilized, so that it has a longer shelf life. Basically, flax contains proteins and fats that may not be present in many prepared grains, and the Omega-3 fats are particularly good for a horse that doesn't have access to fresh, high-quality pasture all the time.
    It's very good for their skin and coats, and also helps with building strong hooves.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Default fat ponies and flax

my pony is slightly insulin resistant and on pergolide. I would plan on asking my vet, but would flax end up putting weight on him. I am looking for a natural coat/hoof supplement that won't cause him to gain weight. TIA
    "Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Things happen for a reason." - vxf111

Well I have just a really dumb question. Where do you get flax? I looked around on Jeffers and just found supplements with it in it. Not straight flax. Any suggestions?

I buy 10 lbs of whole flax at the feed store and grind 2-4oz in a coffee grinder per horse. Good omega 3 balances the omega 6's in hay, grass. That little bit won't put weight on but shines up the coat. Mixes in with the other supps fine.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bank of Dad View Post
    I buy 10 lbs of whole flax at the feed store and grind 2-4oz in a coffee grinder per horse. Good omega 3 balances the omega 6's in hay, grass. That little bit won't put weight on but shines up the coat. Mixes in with the other supps fine.
    Glad you brought that up. I don't want weight on them but I might try it for an extra oomph when they shed their winter coats. They are nothing but pasture ornaments, but shiny, dappley horses make me smile

Quote Originally Posted by jaimebaker View Post
    Well I have just a really dumb question. Where do you get flax? I looked around on Jeffers and just found supplements with it in it. Not straight flax. Any suggestions?
    Feed store! Comes in 40 lbs bags.

Or you can buy a pound or two at a time from the grocery store, but it's ridiculously expensive that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jaimebaker View Post
    Glad you brought that up. I don't want weight on them but I might try it for an extra oomph when they shed their winter coats. They are nothing but pasture ornaments, but shiny, dappley horses make me smile
    I don't think it helps much with weight, but it will definitely give you that nice coat, mane and tail- and my bay has gorgeous dapples now too- I just love them!! I have seen real positive changes in every horse I have fed flax (I feed it whole).

Horsestech makes a plain, ground, heat-stabilized flax, as well as several supplements that have a flax base. Excellent customer service, too.
    http://www.horsetech.com
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

my pony is slightly insulin resistant and on pergolide.
    There are some--not well known--studies that show flax may inhibit thyroid function. Now, in what quantities, I do NOT know. But I would consult both vet (whom I would not expect to even know about that!) and perhaps something like the Cushings LIst on Yahoo for people who might have more current information, or experience.

The last thing you want with an IR is thyroid suppression...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Flax seems to be pricey around here. I was considering feeding some to my TB but have not yet. I added BOSS to his diet and that seems to have made an improvement. His winter coat is so shiny this year. And he doesn't seem to be as dry. He is also on Omegatin though and that's supposed to help.

Default eventer12

Quote Originally Posted by eventer12 View Post
    my pony is slightly insulin resistant and on pergolide. I would plan on asking my vet, but would flax end up putting weight on him. I am looking for a natural coat/hoof supplement that won't cause him to gain weight. TIA
    my mare is (was?) IR and is Cushings on Pergolide. she gets 1/2 cup of whole flax seed daily. the omega 3's have anti-inflammatory properties which is very important to metabolically challenged horses. also, given that live plants have more omega 6, it's particularly good to supplement horses with inflammatory conditions w/ omega 3's.

my mare is not gaining weight from it. not sure if it's ever an issue but certainly not at the amounts fed as supplements (1/2 - 1 cup per day). i buy mine in the local feed store. comes in a 50 lbs bag i believe. i just poured it into old kitty litter containers and put a 1 cup scoop in there for the barn feeders to use.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

So if flax oxidizes, it basically...goes bad? And not to feed it then right? And I can feed whole flax, no problem? Lastly, will it negate feeding beet pulp? Thanks everyone

Whole flax, due of the hull of the seeds, is very difficult to digest. So you don't get the same nutrients as with the ground Flax.

I've been giving my horse ground for a couple of months now. I can totally see a difference in her coat. I can't wait to see it when she sheds out.

If ground flax goes bad, it has a distinctive "off" odor; flax usually has a light, nutty smell.

I'm not sure what you mean by negating the beet pulp, but they can be fed together easily. In fact, one issue with flax is that it has an inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio, which some manufacturers of ground flax correct by adding calcium. But beet pulp is high in calcium so that would work very well.

I soak my flax seed overnight then cook it for 2 hours on low. It is like snot when its ready sorry about the description. I was taught that it can be poisonous when fed whole, anyone else also taught this
    If you wish to see what man made take a drive. If you wish to see what god created saddle up your horse.

You can come talk to my horses about it being poisonous when fed whole -- they've been on it for years.
    I buy a whole bag, throw them a handful with feed. I have one picky eater now who doesn't seem to like it but otherwise it goes down very well. A few weeks after I started, the barn manager asked me what I was feeding them (they are on pasture board so I do self care) since their coats looked so good...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Check out Omega Horseshine. I've used it for a couple of months and my BO commented that she could see and feel the difference in my horse's coat.