The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need LED Headlamp recommendations

Hi,

Since it's dark so early and I can only pick the paddocks after work, I've been thinking it's time to get one of those LED headlamps as I'm not great at handling a flashlight, wheelbarrow and pitchfork.

Any recommendations for a good LED headlamp that isn't too heavy, could be used for picking the paddocks as well as walking the horses at night and has a reasonably distance light?

Any other niceties I should look for?

Thanks in advance!

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

My husband works at a department store--he brought home a tan baseball cap with a series of three LED lights in the brim, it cost around $12.00! It's the coolest thing--has a low beam and high beam!!!!

I was also at the local farm store and saw some old guy rummaging around a bin of cheap tools (every farm store and hardware store seems to have these)--he was pulling out these small LED lights with a clamp on it that you could attach to the brim of a hat or wherever (I think they were $3.00 ).

Those are some other things to think about rather than an LED headlamp. I thought I wanted a headlamp at one time but I have a small head and probably wouldn't be able to get one small enough to fit me....

Good luck!
    "I'm not much into conspiracy theories, but if everyone thinks alike you don't need a plot...." comment I read on a Yahoo board years ago--but it still rings true!

Default I second the baseball cap...

I bought one of the baseball caps with the lights in the brim for my dad for Christmas last year--he LOVES it! It's amazingly bright. I got it from LL Bean for $19.95.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

http://www.gearzone.com/Princeton-Te...84-14910-1.htm

I have this one. It has 3 settings, pivots, and has an adjustable elastic strap. You could easily muck out with the light it provides. It doesn't scare my horses or her barn mates.

http://us-parks.altrec.com/outdoors/petzl/lights/

I have the one with the retractable band and use it a lot!!
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Quote Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
    http://us-parks.altrec.com/outdoors/petzl/lights/

I have the one with the retractable band and use it a lot!!
    I also have a Petzl headlamp, the Petzl Tikka. I use it for night orienteering and since I can see well enough to navigate the woods at night with it, I'm sure it would work fine for picking a paddock.

I went to Lowe's (or Home Depot) and got one there with an elasticized headband - AWESOME for evening chores. I just realized I am constantly shining it in my horses' eyes all the time!

Wow guys, thanks for the great and quick responses!

I never thought of a baseball camp with lights in it. Great idea!
    I'll have to look at that and the headlamps that folks recommended.

COTH is awesome!

Try Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops. They have a wide selection. Once you enter their website, do a search on "head lamp".

Battery life on the inexpensive units is limited. The better ones will state battery life and what type of cells are required.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I just order a dozen off ebay for $30. I keep leaving them places and this way there is always on available. They are the greatest thing ever for chores as I can carry a bucket of grain in one hand and hay in the other. When I accidently set off the strobe setting it freaks the horses out a little.

Petzl makes great headlamps- durable and extremely long-lasting. If you get their Zipka model (with the retractable band) as someone mentioned earlier, be careful when you take it off-- if you just pull from the front your hair will get stuck and it HURTS! Guess how I know...

I've got those little clip-on-the-baseball cap thingies. Mine have FIVE LED lights and the switch lets you light up all five, or just three. Also has an all-lights-blinking setting that I've not found a use for.

I paid $3 for them at a Family Dollar store. Batteries I get five for ninety-nine cents at the unclaimed freight outfit, so I don't care that the batteries only last a month.

There was another model at the unclaimed freight place for the same price that had one light that was red. This one had a sturdier clip and a top on-off switch for the hat brim, but I didn't like the red light thing since it took away one regular light.

Default Pelican

I really like the Pelican VersaBright...not the Versabright II. I used to use it for my floats, but have since upgraded to a super fancy, hip battery pack, much more bright and $$$ model (that is no where near as durable).

The versa birght comes with an elastic headband and the light hangs between your eyes - at the top of your nose. It takes some getting used to, but the light is always where you are looking.

http://www.wisementrading.com/flashlights/pelican.htm

They're pretty cheap about $20. And mine stood up to daily hard (few hrs/day)use for 1 year before the lamp blew and I upgraded.

Check it out.

Cathy

My sister gave mr. chai a baseball hat from LLBean with LED lamps embedded in the brim. It is great, except that the horses were terrified of it at first. I have to admit, I laughed at the dork factor when mr. chai put it on the first time and turned on the lights, but the darn thing works really well.

I like the Petzls, too. I actually have two headlamps - a cheap LL Bean LED one for just walking around (my job often involves walking around in the woods in the dark ) and a nice Petzl (I can't remember the model) for when I'm doing things that really need light (like, say, changing a car battery at 10 pm... ). The more expensive models, IME, throw far more LIGHT than the cheaper ones, even it they're only a couple of bulbs vs five or more. (Plus, as noted, the batteries last longer, and even if that's not an expense issue, I still care about the environment!) But I like my cheap one because if I set it down somewhere and a kid yoinks it, I'm not going to be terribly upset.
    Proud member of the EDRF