The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lauriche saddles?

I have been cruising around the used saddle sites looking for a nice used dressage saddle and have fallen madly in love with the Lauriche saddles. I am new, just converted from hunterland, and have a nice older dressage saddle that I bought years and years ago, but my guy has muscled up and it doesn't really fit him any more. I really like the look of the Lauiche (oooh square cantle for the inner hunter princess!!) and it looks nice and comfy and well made (should be with a noted 6k price tag!) can anyone educate me on them, or am I being rather impulsive?

They are the BEST. My trainer became a convert when I loaned her mine to use on my gelding she has in training because her saddle didn't fit him. She rode him in it once and was an instant convert -- found a used one for herself on ebay and bought it on the spot. Where are you located? There's a saddle fitter here in VA who is an expert on these saddles.
    ~Another proud member of the TrakehNERD clique ~

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

Thumbs up

BEST saddle EVER!!!!!!!!

I have 2 dressage & a jump (well one dressage is my mom's). Granted, I got them in 1999 when they were a wee bit (ok so much) cheaper and Andy used to fly over from England and fit them/custom make them himself.

You will love love love the saddle!!!

Where are you located?
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Since Lauriche is out of business, I would get the foam taken out and get a traditional wool flocking done to it so that it is easier to be fitted to your horse by a master saddler. There are very few saddlers trained by Andy Foster to fit the Lauriches and adjust the foam.

I have two Lauriche dressages and a CC saddle. And getting the saddles adjust correctly is a problem now.

Quote Originally Posted by jcotton View Post
    Since Lauriche is out of business, I would get the foam taken out and get a traditional wool flocking done to it so that it is easier to be fitted to your horse by a master saddler. There are very few saddlers trained by Andy Foster to fit the Lauriches and adjust the foam.

I have two Lauriche dressages and a CC saddle. And getting the saddles adjust correctly is a problem now.
    Isn't there someone in TX that was trained by Andy?

She is totally out of saddlery or any leather repair business, too.
    I think the only one that i know of that is qualified to work on Lauriches is in Va.

Quote Originally Posted by jcotton View Post
    She is totally out of saddlery or any leather repair business, too.
    I think the only one that i know of that is qualified to work on Lauriches is in Va.
    I forgot that she quit doing it.

I assume you are speaking of Larry. He does come to TX about 6 or 7 times a year PM me if you want his contact info. I got in touch with him when I thought about getting one of my dressage saddles refitted. He said that he would do it on one of his trips to TX

How is Lauriche out of business? I know 2 ladies that just had Larry out to measure them and their horses... their saddles are being made as we speak.

Also, I was told by Larry that as long as the saddle fits you and the horse, they can basically change most everything else, i.e. knee roll, etc.

I have an older one that I got a lucky buy on, I finally took it out for a spin the other day and was astounded by the comfort. Once I adjusted my stirrups, I completely forgot there was a saddle there, I just focused on my horse and had a lovely ride. My horse moved well too, and fortunately its just wide enough that I can pad/shim it for a good fit. Its such an intelligently designed saddle, its a wonder more people don't adopt the features. Its lovely and open, the seat is broad without being a bench, and I don't feel trapped or as if my legs are being forced anywhere at all... I don't feel like I'm sitting "in" the saddle or "on" the saddle... its like it just disappears and I don't even know the saddle is there. My horse actually offered his back to me in a rather pleasant way (he's rounded in a not so pleasant way in the past when a saddle bridged and he was trying to find relief) and we did a few strides of seated trot too, that was a first for us.

I also have a jp giacomini which is also designed and made by andy. I spoke to JP about his saddle and he said that Andy does still come to the US from time to time.

Lauriche the company went out of business, but Andy still makes saddles as Andy Foster Saddlery these days.

no question about it, they are the most balanced saddle ever, and ive tried more than my share... from old kieffers, passier's, all the way up to 3 different hennig models, a hermes corlandus, 3 custom saddlery saddles, schleese's, yes, a lot of saddles, over the years on many different horses. The one i never notice is there and my leg just falls where it is supposed to, and my hips are open and my seat deep is the Lauriche. I bought it just before I had a Wendy Murdoch clinic and she confirmed it fit me and my horse perfectly. I bought mine from fine-used-saddles.com, Patricia seems to have a busy market for them. I'd buy another just to have an extra if i could...

the do tend to run large in the seat, so keep that in mind.

I wouldn't spend any money on a foam flocked saddle - you can't adjust the flocking, and once it starts to compress (as they all do with age), you get the pleasure of either paying a LOT of money to have it torn apart and put back together with wool flocking, or you can chuck it in the trash. Sounds like a great way to spend $6k!

If you want a nice saddle, find a saddle FITTER (not just a rep for a single company, their job is to sell you THEIR brand of saddle, whether it fits you or not), and spend your money there. There's no reason that you can't get a GREAT saddle that fits you and your horse, complete with paying the fitter's fees, for under $3000. If you're paying more, you're getting had.

Does anyone have current contact info for Larry? I need to get them refitted to the new mare.

StephC Guest

Default Lauriche

I have had a Lauriche for a couple of years and have really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, my mare grew out of it and I think that I will be selling it very soon. They are wonderful saddles though.

Quote Originally Posted by StephC View Post
    I have had a Lauriche for a couple of years and have really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, my mare grew out of it and I think that I will be selling it very soon. They are wonderful saddles though.
    StephC- PM me about your saddle. If I can't get Larry to TX to fit mine to my new mare I will be looking for a new one.

I have a JP Giacomini saddle, made by the same guy who makes Lauriche, and it is absolutely divine. You would have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. It fits my mare perfectly, and it has fit the other wide horses I have used it on. And after having a foam panel, you could not get me to go back to using wool. Foam keeps its shape and gives a more even surface. I added a ThinLine for my super-sensitive mare, but I don't have to use one on other horses.

My saddle is probably about 20 years old and it still looks just wonderful. I had to condition it some when I first bought it, but the leather is still soft and wonderful. The seat is the perfect amount of cushiony to support your crotch and seat bones, the knee rolls are perfect, the seat is deep enough without being restrictive. It's the only saddle I have been able to relax in.

Land of palms, rattlesnakes, sand and fields of beautiful Tbs

Default Great Saddle!

I bought one in 1996 and still love it. I agree completely with buck22. Don't buy it if you want to be locked into a position. The horse trainer who comes to my barn rode my mare for me last year when I was out of commission for a time. He did not want to use my saddle because he said he didn't find most dressage saddles comfortable. One day I tacked her up before he got to the barn so he reluctantly decided to try it and became a convert. After 12 years and NUMEROUS horses, the only thing it needs are new billets on one side and that's probably from bad rollers on a girth I used.
    Piney Woods

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool Guess I'm the ghoul at the feast,............................

One word - ecchhhh.

Worst saddle I've ever ridden in, by far. Too much crap between you and the horse. I'd never buy one, even if it were priced reasonably, which it isn't.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

One of the ugliest saddles to look at but not bad at all to ride in I have various clients that love them. As for me ,I ride in many different saddles and Lauriche is def. in the better half of the saddles.
    Every time you ride, your are either teaching or un-teaching your horse.

Bubblehead Guest

Default Bubblehead

I've spent the last year looking for a saddle and I've dealt with saddle fitters and saddle reps. Wool vs. foam, synthetic tree vs. wood, etc. etc. Originally I thought that a beechwood tree, stuffed with wool and a saddle fitter was the way to go, but I wanted to keep an open mind, After sitting in about 50 saddles and doing countless hours of research and many in-person interviews, I have a few observations.

Saddle fitters have their own agenda, which is wool flocking. Foam panels will put most of them out of business. They are very dogmatic and their training is rarely anything to brag about. I have never spoken to anyone who was happy with their re-flocked saddle. The high quality foam that is in saddles is similar to the foam in car seats, which rarely compress over time.

Saddle reps do indeed try to sell their saddles and they often get a healthy commission, 1k or more.

I think it's judgemental of fuzzy pony to say if you are paying more than 3K for a saddle "you're being had." I think if someone finds a fabulous saddle that fits both horse and rider and he/she is happy, it's a great purchase. I have regretted spending money on something that I didn't love, but I have never regretted buying the best for myself, people that I love, and my horses.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy.pony View Post
    I wouldn't spend any money on a foam flocked saddle - you can't adjust the flocking, and once it starts to compress (as they all do with age), you get the pleasure of either paying a LOT of money to have it torn apart and put back together with wool flocking, or you can chuck it in the trash. Sounds like a great way to spend $6k!

If you want a nice saddle, find a saddle FITTER (not just a rep for a single company, their job is to sell you THEIR brand of saddle, whether it fits you or not), and spend your money there. There's no reason that you can't get a GREAT saddle that fits you and your horse, complete with paying the fitter's fees, for under $3000. If you're paying more, you're getting had.