The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to wear to open hunt?

Hi folks;
    ok so I am not sure what to wear this Sunday. I am attending Carrollton hounds' open hunt, which is held to introduce new folks to hunting and the etiquette involved. Having shown in hunters and equitation all my life, I have the standard tan breeches and blue hunt coat. Are these appropriate? And how about my "steed" Is it ok if I put my wolf boots with bright blue elastic on her? I have a fitted pad, breastplate, hunt bridle, etc.
    Any suggestions?
    I am really excited to go...I have been dreaming of fox hunting since I was a little girl taking riding lessons!
    Hopefully my young mare will handle it well...

While a Navy coat is semi-appropriate, a black melton is much more so (and it's warmer!!). You will need a stock tie, as well. Brown gloves, preferably, and of course spit-shined boots (field are find, dress preferred). I think that should pretty much cover you...

As for your horse. Either ditch the boots, or find ones that don't have bright blue on them. You don't want anything that makes you stick out like a sore thumb, and colored boots are not really appropriate. Also, of note, if this is OpenING then most will be braided. However, from what you said, I'm thinking possibly this is just kinda like a junior hunt, a day to get new people to come out hunting.

Anyways, good luck, and have fun!

If it is an introduction to hunting, then I would think your show clothes would be fine. If you can find a stock tie great.

Ditch the boots. You'll just all kinds of crap stuck in them and the horse doesn't need them.

If it is OPENING MEET then you would be expected to be in a black melton and stock tie, dress boots, deerskin wash or black gloves.

I'd get the secretary's number and call. That's your best source of information.

Since this hunt is to introduce newbies, I really doubt that you all are expected to purchase an entirely new wardrobe. I think you will be fine with what you have for the first few times, but if you decide you want to continue they will expect you to get the correct clothing.
    Boots on your horse are a personal choice so do what you think best, but I agree that plain boots would be better than the blue.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Yes, this is an introduction to hunting and glad to hear you are coming! Unfortunately, I won't be there so have a great time!

Your show clothes are fine. If you have a stock tie, all the better! If your horse truly needs boots (my older guy has a big ankle and hits it with his other foot so I do use boots but wish I didn't need to) try to find a pair that are not bright blue. There are mud and water crossings so if you must use boots, use ones that will not slip and become a hazard. The territory is mainly open crop fields and some woods with well cleared trails. A small amount of road riding is sometimes encountered depending on which way hounds run.

The first part of the morning will be a short lecture about what you will be experiencing and a stirrup cup. We have 2 fields and there are no jumps at this fixture. Our second flight fieldmaster is the best and will stop if someone is having problems. At the last open hunt, there was also a slower third field. You can inform the fieldmaster and change fields if you need to. Make sure to report back how your day was! : )
    \"And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door , if their masters\' hearts were steady as they walked beside them.\" The Return of the Ki

As CC stated, this is an intro for newbies to the fox hunting world. Show attire is acceptable/appropriate. Sunday is going to be in the 40's so layer up.

If you find boots necessary to hunt in, make sure they are plain, no bright colors.

This is a great program Carrollton puts on every year and there is always a large turnout. My father is one of the joint masters and wanted me to come out and ride. I'm going to the Ravens game instead.

Most importantly have fun!

Hey TR Nasty, did we meet at the horse pull at the MD state fair this summer??
    \"And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door , if their masters\' hearts were steady as they walked beside them.\" The Return of the Ki

Great...show clothes....no blue boots. Got it! Thanks for the input and I hope to have a marvelous time. I will report back on Monday (hopefully from work and not from a hospital bed!

A blue coat is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT PROPER.

It is equally as proper as a black jacket.

Oxford grey is also 100% acceptable. For hunting:

Black = Grey = Navy!

HOWEVER, best a dark navy blue rather than a shade of bright blue such as royal etc.!

While agreed you will blend in more easily wearing black, navy and oxford are increasingly popular alternatives.

Have a great time and keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Hey TR Nasty, did we meet at the horse pull at the MD state fair this summer??
    No, sorry. I haven't been to the fair in years. It might have been my younger sister.

Carrollton are a VERY laid-back and welcoming crew. They will show you good sport and will not complain for a moment about any lack of perfection in your attire; they'll just be glad to have you on board. Go, have fun, and don't worry. If you decide to take this up seriously, you could not choose a prettier country, a more welcoming master, or a funner bunch of people. They'll show you good sport. Enjoy.

I am also planning on attending the Carrollton hunt tomorrow, but I don't know the address of where to meet. I have left a message for one of the organizers, but haven't heard back yet. Can you tell me where to meet?
    Thanks!

Goingplaces, I'm sending you a PM!

So how did it go? Did everyone have fun??
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

WOW! I had a fabulous time. The hunt staff was extremely nice and helpful, and I think it was the most fun I have ever had riding my horse! I think I am hooked, and luckily my girl Gracie seemed to enjoy it too, and was very well behaved. What a great group.
    Last edited by goingplaces; Nov. 23, 2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: excess enthusiasm

YAY! I'm so glad.

psst you didn't have to edit your post there's no such thing as excess enthusiasm when one is talking about hunting

Default What fun!

What a fantastic time!
    The members were very welcoming, the property was gorgeous, and we couldn't have asked for better weather.
    My 3 year old mare has found her calling, I think. It was her first time out, and she was AMAZING!!! Stood stock still while the hounds worked (in fact, she watched them the whole time) and rode out on the buckle! I hadn't ridden her all week, either. Looks like I have a future foxhunter on my hands.
    I am going to the hunter pace next weekend with a group of friends. Hopefully she will be just as good!

goingplaces...my gal was the other Gracie (we were Gracie^2) . Funny to meet another Bay with white named Gracie out there! Nice mare! What is she?

How funny AprilMD! My Gracie is 1/4 TB and 3/4 Clyde. She's a registered American Warmblood, but I am a little sheepish to tell people that because I kinda think it's like saying she's a registered hill billy. I think we may go to the hunter pace next weekend, so I'll be sure to look for you and Gracie!

Great to read you all had a fun time! Glad the wind died down yesterday and wasn't to brutal weather wise.

Yay! Glad to hear everyone had a great time!

Hopefully, I'll see you out again? I usually ride in second field on a heavy-boned bay TB w/a star and snip. I'm also running the raffle at the hunter pace so stop by and introduce yourselves!