The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fredericksburg Craigslist Pony Update

Sorry ya'll, this turned into a novel...

Well little Miss Buttercup (formerly known as Powder Puff) has settled in and perked up, and has been eating reasonably well for a pony that needed dental work, so after breakfast, she willingly loaded onto the trailer and off we headed to our scheduled appointment with the horse doctor.
    My vet was standing out in front of the clinic as I unloaded her and walked her towards the door. His first comment was "Well, I see you've found another one that really needed you." Then, "ah, good, it looks like she's had a recent pedicure!"

(She was an angel for the farrier.)

She is such a trusting little soul, and stood stoically to be poked, prodded and examined. As expected, she's older than God. Heart and lungs sounded good and she has excellent gut sounds. A bit of draining from her eyes, I'd been gently cleaning them daily with sterile saline and applying some antibiotic eye salve, the vet figured her tear ducts were clogged, so he made a note to clear those. Some loss of vision/cataracts forming, he remarked that she probably can't read the newspaper but can see to get around just fine.
    I had already suspected vision issues as she is very careful walking into the barn and her stall after being outside.

But Oh My Goodness, the teeth...even just after a cursory glance it was obvious this pony had to have been in considerable discomfort each time she chewed. Thank goodness I've been feeding her soup. She had sense enough not to bother much with hay but loves the nice lush grass that's here. And she always nickered happily at feeding times.
    She's put up with so much and never complained.
    I doubt that pony had ever been floated, or if she had, it was long, long ago.
    After a bit of sedation, (Dorm/Torbogesic) we put the speculum on her then propped her chin up on the stand and got a really good luck with the light. Yikes!
    I've never seem so many hooks, points and rough edges, and I've taken in a lot of neglected equines over the years. Her tongue and cheeks were a mess from contact with the sharpies.

The vet worked on her carefully and patiently, and after an hour of grunting and sweating from both him and the pony, we had some semblance of normal. A thorough rinse with warm Nolvasan solution and a shot of Banamine completed that part of her treatment. He got out some warm saline and a syringe and tiny tube, lubed up her nostrilsand the tube and inserted the tube and squirted gently until he cleared the blockage and got a good stream of saline out of the corner of her eyes.

I asked for another tube of antibiotic to replenish my stock, and will continue that for another few days until the inflammation clears up in the corner of her eyes. He patted her and thanked her for being such an excellent patient and Buttercup retired to a stall for a few minutes while I got out my checkbook.

So, The Pony should be in good shape for a while, though I'll get her checked again in the spring when I get the rest of the horses vaccinated and floated.

I can already see some weight gain (I've had her 2 weeks today) but I'm sure now that her teeth have been done she'll start to bloom. I'll give her some more wormer as well. She really needs a good bath, but even though I've got hot water in the barn, it's too cold outside and she's too hairy, it would take her too long to dry. That'll have to wait until we have a nice sunny 70 degree day. Meanwhile, she enjoys her grooming sessions. I've been slowly but surely pulling/thinning her mane. I had to clip her legs to be more able to manage the crud that she had. After a couple of good scrubbings with medicated shampoo and some liberal applications of MTG, her legs are looking much better.

Ill take pictures when she's been here a month, to compare with the ones that I took the day I picked her up.
    I'm sure the change will be quite noticeable.

I can hardly wait till Spring when she sheds! Though I may have to help that along with the body clippers I suspect.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Awesome story, DL!
    I'd love to hear more about her....do you have a previous thread? It would be neat to see some of the "before" pics too!
    Bravo,
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

her story was on the giveaways forum here, although I had already seen her listing on Craigslist
    http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/sho...d.php?t=172934

She's a real sweetie.

Can't wait to see pics! So glad you took her in and are getting the 'ol girl fixed up!
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

You just racked up some serious good karma points! Thank you for doing this for her.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Dawg-- you rock!!! I'm so happy she found you!!!

Can't wait to see her "after" pics!!!

Default I was just thinking about her this morning!

...and yesterday, and the day before, etc....

THANK YOU so much! You have no idea how relieved I (and others I know who were so concerned about, and afraid for, this little ole gal) am to hear that Buttercup is doing so well now. YAY!

Bless you - you're truly an angel!

Can't wait to see those pic updates!
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Update please!!

She's doing great, has gained about 100 lbs and is beginning to shed her Yak like coat.

She's a sweetie pie.

Pictures?

pm your email addy to me and I'll sne you a pic.

If you want to post them here, I can do a thumbnail for you on the thread - e mail me some jpegs at neckamws at slu dot edu.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I didn't get to see the before pics because the ad had expired I'd love to see them, and the new ones of course, if you're up to posting them. If for some reason you're uncomfortable with that, I understand, I'm just a sucker for rescues

Trust me, you don't want to see the before pics, she was a skeletal mess.
    The pic of her that was on Craigslist, for those who saw it, didn't actually look too bad, but when I got there to pick her up I was dismayed to say the least.
    Maybe in the Spring after she's slicked out I'll work up the nerve to post "then" and now.

Sending Geek a picture that I took in December. Hopefully I've sent it in a format she can post on here.

I'm working on getting her another Appy buddy, a rescue from FL.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    You just racked up some serious good karma points! Thank you for doing this for her.
    Wanda will be racking up even more karma points as she is adopting our partial blind pony that we rescued and who is not fitting in with her foster home. She is leaving Florida on Sunday to head to Wanda's farm to keep the CL pony company!