The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question How about this for a hoof soaking boot?

I am headed out to buy one of these to soak an abscessed hoof with CleanTrax. There's a larger one but this is the only size they have on hand. What do you think?

http://www.rei.com/product/684855

I haven't yet located the abscess but believe it's in the heel region (by hoof testers).

For those who've used CleanTrax for abscesses, did it work on the first try? What sort of follow-up treatment was required? I've handled abscesses before but have never used CleanTrax. I appreciate any tips or advice.

This is the boot I use http://www.horseshoesandtools.com/cleantracboot.aspx

It's about $23 (so the same cost as what you linked to) and it has straps to hold it up on the leg. Plus the foot part is really tough stuff, reinforced. It's some kind of black vinyl/pvc stuff on the bottom portion of the boot. I'd be afraid that a non-equine product would tear right through under the hoof.

Yes, every time I've used Clearn TRax, it completely knocked out the problem with one use. Except for one really really tough case of thrush that required 2 soaks, about 6 months apart.

Ummm, I didn't know Clean Trax was for abscesses. Thought it was only for severe thrush and/or white line disease.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

It's good if the abscess has already established a drainage hole.

Remember Clean Trax was initially a human treatment for dealing with severe bladder infections. The bladder was flushed with Clean Trax via catheter, also was used for disinfecting the abdominal cavity after apendix ruptures, and the like.

It's very safe to use on abscesses.

The CleanTrax instructions don't discuss abscess but I've heard from others who use it for abscesses.

A2, did you use it for an abscess? I would order the CleanTrax boot but I need it today, so I'm going for the dry bag and hoping it holds up. I have a hoof soaking boot but it's not appropriate.

How will you keep that boot up on the horse's leg?

That's why the CT boot is nice - there's a "hoof" and it goes up high enough to fasten above the knee (on most horses anyway ).

Oh, my apologies Larskpur. I didn't realize you needed it today. In that case, I would definitely use the bag that you found. I would use several wraps of snug duct tape to hold it up.

I have not personally used it on an abscess though I know KC has used it a lot of absesses with great success http://www.equinepodiatry.net/hoof_care.html.

If you google "clean trax abscess" you can find lots of links of success stories. The Horse also has an article on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    How will you keep that boot up on the horse's leg?
    Oh, come on JB. You know, the thing that holds the universe together -- DUCT TAPE.

*smack self* well duh, of course!

Tee hee. I'll report on my success, or lack thereof, later.

Now, if I can just get through REI without buying any shoes or jackets for myself, this will be a good first step.

*snort* yeah, good luck with that

Good luck, Larkspur!

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    Tee hee. I'll report on my success, or lack thereof, later.

Now, if I can just get through REI without buying any shoes or jackets for myself, this will be a good first step.
    A pictorial would be great to help others learn how to! Thanks!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I think any tire shop is likely to have an old inner tube they'll give you for free. Incredibly tough, super easy to make into a soaking boot, last forever.

Simply take an old inner tube, cut off the stem, and cut all the way through it right there so it's now a big rubber sock without a toe end. Tie a knot in one end, dump your epsom salts in it, or clean trax, or whatever in there...then wiggle it onto hoof ...now it really is a rubber sock - pour in warm/hottish water...or whatever...and hang out with him for 20 minutes or so, let it draw on that abcess. Works slick and the rubber helps hold the heat in. I've been known to help hold it on with a snug zip-tie above the fetlock, or just above the hoof, or both...
    Save your money

Yes, I was going to suggest an inner tube - that's what I've used before and it worked well and was free!

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    A pictorial would be great to help others learn how to! Thanks!
    You mean a picture of how to use the boot or one of me getting through REI without spending any money? Too late! They were having a big sale, so I failed on that one: fleece pullover, quilted vest, sports bra, wool hat and -- oh yeah -- the dry bag.

I've heard of people using old tractor inner tubes but I just wasn't in the mood to go scrounging around for one. The bag I got looks exactly like the CleanTrax boot. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same exact thing with the top modified. It's the perfect size and shape to fit over a leg with the gallon of CleanTrax solution.

I've done a practice soak with epsom salts, and boy am I glad I did. My horse was terrified of the sloshing monster attached to his leg. He tried to get away at first and then stood there frozen and trembling and refused to let me pick up his leg. He's never been soaked before -- poor guy.

I'll snap a picture.

Large IV bag if you can get your hands on one.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

I use old IV bags (free!) from the vet clinic. The plastic is surprisingly tough; just cut off the tube end, pull it over the foot, add water, and duct tape around the pastern.

The best part is that you use FAR less water than a conventional tub soaking, so you can use less solute. I only use half a bottle of clean trax per treatment, since there is only about a quart of water in the IV bag on the foot. Iodine and epsom salt lasts longer, too! Once the Clean Trax is done soaking, I pour out the water and tape the bag (or a dry one) back on for the vaporization phase.

I also use the IV bags for icing feet after xc. Whenever you're soaking, put the bag on the foot and be sure to add water *first* (in case horse reacts, yanks foot, and spills!), then add your clean trax/etc. Once the mixture is in, add a ring of duct tape (lightly) to the fetlock, and another strip (a little tighter) around the pastern to keep the bag from slipping. Duct tape sticks VERY well to this plastic. Squish the bag several times to mix the contents and *lift the horse's foot up* so that he feels the "monster" on his foot. Many horses freak out the first time ("Get it off!! Get it off!!" panicked running circles in stall). Hold the foot up, shake it a bit, so the horse feels the weight and accepts it. Once they've been soaked a few times, I leave them unattended in a stall (some stall-walkers I tie, most I just throw some hay).
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~