The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default watery eyes?

So i just got a new horse and for right now he is being kept at a barn in a stall.

He has allways had a little bit of goopy eyes but nothing to be worried about. Now all of a sudden he is having bad watery eyes. Looks like he is bawling. It is clear liquid if that helps any.

my question is what is this? and how can i stop it?
    ~Your horse can only be as brave as you are~

Could be plugged up tear ducts, but IR horses also tend to have watery/goopy eyes. If he shows any other possible IR signs, I would suspect that this horse is perhaps insulin resistant.

Or it could be 50 other things that don't have a damn thing to do with IR. BTR, I have no issues with you and know you want to educate folks but it seems I can't go into a SINGLE THREAD without you saying SOMETHING has to do with IR or Cushings. The horse could be near dusty hay, plugged tearduct, allergies, scratch, conjunctivitis, ulcer in the eye, and the list goes on and on and on. Or the horse's eyes just might run for no reason at all. My goodness, if you're going to spout the IR has to do with everything you should maybe add the OTHER things than can cause the problem. There's getting the word out and then there's just freakin overkill.

So, what?! It IS another possibility, that can be missed because very few people know about it (apparently including you, or you would not respond in the way you did), among the other 50 things you, oh by the way, failed to list all, so the horse owner can consider them too.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    Could be plugged up tear ducts, but IR horses also tend to have watery/goopy eyes. If he shows any other possible IR signs, I would suspect that this horse is perhaps insulin resistant.
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Is EVERY SINGLE horse out there IR to you? You know, this is like the boy who cried wolf. One of these days, you're going to be RIGHT--the horse WILL actually be IR or Cushings or metabolic--but not a single person will listen to you because you say *everything* is IR or Cushings or metabolic.

gottalove, is he squinting? If so, have the vet out ASAP to check the eye--you may have a corneal scratch or something concerning. If the horse looks like his eye hurts and is tearing, that's an emergency call. If he's JUST tearing, have the vet out to flush the nasal-lacrimal ducts. It requires a bit of sedation, but is a 10 minute procedure, and not a big deal at all.

Any horse can get clogged tear ducts. It will take a vet about 10 minutes to clear them.

Thumbs up watery eyes

I have a 31 yr old Arab mare who has Uveitis. Started with just one watery eye several years ago and as time went on it got worse to where the eye will inflame with heat and white stuff too. So I have been using a homeopathic uveitis spray on her gums daily 2 X. also an herbal nutritional supplement for Uveitis and eye health, and when she has an inflammation episode, I give her 10 to 12 bayer aspirin twice daily for about 2 to 3 wks till the episode is over
    and I rub a triple antiob like Neosporin or generic equivalent twice daily to get rid of any infection coming from the inflammation.

Her son has one weepy eye during the summer now also. Over time it may also inflame as her's does. Both her eyes will do that now. She wears a mask 24/7 to help with the uv rays. Like sunglasses and good to keep the flys away as well.

So, could be allergies to dust etc., could be Uveitis....

dont muck about with eyes call a vet and get a proper diagnoise

Its most likely as simple as clogged tear ducts. My gelding had this happen last winter was pretty easy, vet came out blew the straw thingie in the holes in his nose with a saline solution or something, and it cleared right up.

But like others have said eyes are something you don't want to mess with, get a vet out for it.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Is EVERY SINGLE horse out there IR to you? You know, this is like the boy who cried wolf. One of these days, you're going to be RIGHT--the horse WILL actually be IR or Cushings or metabolic--but not a single person will listen to you because you say *everything* is IR or Cushings or metabolic.
    No, delightfully you are kidding yourself. I never said every horse - can you not read?
    As a trimmer I deal with a lot of IR horses and over 90 % of those tend to have goopy eyes that resolves once the IR is under control. Experienced this with my mini as well.

I mentioned it because this is one of those scenarios where it is very rarely considered as a possibility, so the eyes get all sorts of other treatments but never really gets totally resolved.

So if it is not something obvious or simple, a clogged tear duct, allergy, scratch on the cornea which is usually very obvious because it is also painful, as the horse would most likely also squint a lot and have a swollen eye, then consider this possibility as well, particularly if the horse shows other IR signs too, like slight lower eyelid edema, fat pockets above the eyes, over shoulders and hindquarters, etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    No, delightfully you are kidding yourself. I never said every horse - can you not read?
    As a trimmer I deal with a lot of IR horses and over 90 % of those tend to have goopy eyes that resolves once the IR is under control. Experienced this with my mini as well.

I mentioned it because this is one of those scenarios where it is very rarely considered as a possibility, so the eyes get all sorts of other treatments but never really gets totally resolved.
    No, honey--you mention it in nearly EVERY SINGLE POST. I know I'm not the only one you're starting to annoy. Why don't you sit down and shut up for a bit?

I'm not kidding about the boy who cried wolf. NO ONE takes you seriously when your answer for EVERY problem out there is IR! Cushings! Case in point, I'm now blocking you. I wonder how many block lists you're on because we all get tired of hearing the same tired thing from you over and over?

Ok - I am dumb - what is IR, I have heard of Cushings but can't figure out what IR is......

I wouldn't wait around with the eyes.

My horse (who is admittedly a statistical anamoly) had clear watery eyes (flushed with saline solution), the next day a little pussy and crusty (treated with medicated ointment), and the 3rd day he had a full blown infection. Turned out he was one of the few hundred horses in the country that had a specific kind of fly lay it's eggs in his eye socket. The larvae caused a serious infection which somehow (and forgive the vagueness, but I didn't own him during this time, he was at our barn but owned by someone else) caused a growth to attach to his retina. He had to have surgury and is thankfully 100% better now.

But man if he comes in from the paddock with a watery eye I am ALL over the antibiotic eye gel and if it lasts more than a day or two (or worsens quickly) I call the vet ASAP.

BTW, I think IR is insulin resistance - right?

Default thanks!

thanks for all of the feed back. i am having the vet come out tomorrow so we will see what is the matter. all i know is that she is really teary and wants his head and eyes scratched 24-7. so i am leaning towards allergys. i have changed his bedding from pine shavings back to straw we will see if that helps any
    ~Your horse can only be as brave as you are~

Try this,

Take bacon grease and rub it on your horse's face, below each eye. Just a little bit.

It will clear it up.

This remedy came from an old man who used to manage the Borax Mule Team. If you don't know what that is (for you young folks) Google it.

Watery eyes are likely due to allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by gottalovethecowgirl View Post
    thanks for all of the feed back. i am having the vet come out tomorrow so we will see what is the matter. all i know is that she is really teary and wants his head and eyes scratched 24-7. so i am leaning towards allergys. i have changed his bedding from pine shavings back to straw we will see if that helps any
    If it's itching really bad (they'll REALLY rub into you) it might be conjunctivitis. I've got a horse with bad allergies and her eyes don't itch. But if she get a case of conjunctivitis she'll knock you down trying to rub them into you. Nothing some Terramycin or Triple Antibiotic eye ointment can't fix. Good on you for getting the vet out.