The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2009 Winter Training List

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE November 18, 2008
    USEF Names 2009 Eventing Training List

Lexington, KY – The United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) has named the 2009 Eventing Training List. These horse/rider combinations will be invited to participate in training sessions to be held at various locations throughout the country. The sessions will be conducted by USEF Eventing Coach Capt. Mark Phillips and are currently being scheduled.

Riders and horses are listed alphabetically.
    Rider / Age / Hometown / Horse / Sex/ Breed / Age / Owner
    A List
    William Coleman / 25 / Gordonsville, VA / Twizzel / G / Westfalen/ 12 / Tivoli
    Phillip Dutton /45/ West Grove, PA / The Foreman /G/Thoroughbred/12/ Ann Jones
    Phillip Dutton/45/West Grove,PA/Truluck/G/Thoroughbred/10/Ann Jones & Shannon Stimson OR Woodburn/G/Thoroughbred /13/Acorn Hill Farm
    Becky Holder /39/ Mendota Heights, MN/ Courageous Comet /G/ Thoroughbred/12/ Thomas Holder, Jr.
    Karen O’Connor /50/The Plains, VA /Mandiba/G/Irish Sport Horse /8/Joan Goswell
    Gina Miles /34/ Creston, CA/ McKinlaigh /G/Irish Sport Horse/14/Laura Coats, Gina Miles, & Thomas Schulz
    Amy Tryon / 38 / Duvall, WA / Coal Creek / G / 8 / Thoroughbred / Kathryn Sullivan

B List
    Corinne Ashton / Princeton, MA / 46 / Dobbin / G / Thoroughbred / 14 / Corinne Ashton
    Jan Byyny / Purcellville, VA / 41 / Syd Kent / G / New Zealand Thoroughbred / 10 / J.C. Chester
    Bruce Davidson, Jr. / 32 / Ocala, FL / BallyNoe Castle RM / G / Irish Thoroughbred / 8 / Carl & Cassandra Segal
    Sara Dierks /29/Berryville, VA/Somerset/G/English Thoroughbred/12/Christopher Desino, Sara Dierks, Edith Hornberger, & Sean Rameika
    Kim Severson / 35 / Keene, VA / Tipperary Liadhnan / G / Irish Sport Horse / 11 / Kim Severson
    Allison Springer / 34 / Marshall, VA / Destination Known / G/ Thoroughbred / 10 / Allison Springer
    Amy Tryon / 38 / Duvall, WA / Leyland / G / Thoroughbred / 8 / Elisabeth Nicholson
    Jennifer Wooten / 30 / Buellton, CA / The Good Witch / M / Irish Sport Horse / 12 / Daisy Tognazzini
    ~I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.~

why not Arthur for Alison?

seems a little random to me but hopefully they have info I don't and the absence of certain horses and people or their placement on the a versus b list is not as random as I think
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Nothing against the names listed, but so much for developing the future of our sport. Don't promise change and then deliver the same old...same old...

Default TB

Well it sure looks like TBs are still at the top

Who is not on the list that should be?
    Clark Montgomery?
    Bonnie Mosser?
    Heidi White?
    The winners of the Gold Cups? (both levels)?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I just don't think that's accurate, Starboard. I don't think there are a lot of names missing here that I would have expected to see given competition records, injury, etc.

I think it's pretty hard not to say someone like Will Coleman isn't the future of our sport. He had a spectacular season and is a great rider, Twizzel is an amazing horse, and he's got other nice horses waiting in the wings ready to move up. I couldn't be more pleased to see his name on the list. Similarly, Jan Bynny's Syd Kent is a gorgeous young horse with a huge future ahead of him - anyone who saw that horse jump this fall was legitimately blown away. Very, very talented. Jen Wooten's a bright young rider, with a game mare who had a breakout year. Amy had a fabulous year with two different young up and coming horses: I don't know how you could legitimately not put a rider who won both the spring and the fall three stars on two different horses on the list. And Destination Known had a very consistent year with high placings at both spring and fall three stars - great to see Allison have two super horses going so well at this level.

Look at the number of fairly young horses as well, and horses without a ton of heavy mileage. Many of these are horses who will be at their prime for WEG in two years, or London in four.

All in all, it's not an unreasonable list, and there's a nice new crop of horses on it that I'm really excited to watch grow and develop.

Quote Originally Posted by ss3777 View Post
    Well it sure looks like TBs are still at the top

Irish Sport Horses are also well represented!
    Last edited by Finn'sMom; Nov. 18, 2008 at 08:29 PM. Reason: add quote

Exactly my point. Why is Syd Kent on the B list, and why are some super ** horses (including Will's top ten finishers at Fair Hill) left off. Not sure we can create the depth we need for 2010, but if we don't look below the *** and **** surface, we will be sure to miss the boat in London as well. And where in my post did you read that Amy's horses should not be included?

Exclamation HOHOLD YOUR FIRE!

though this forum may self implode( would that necessarily be a bad thing?)what about Amy Tryon and her two *** winners this year ?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Ames View Post
    though this forum may self implode( would that necessarily be a bad thing?)what about Amy Tryon and her two *** winners this year ?
    What about them? They're both on the lists.
    Cady O' Daly Farm
    Connemara Sport Horses & Field Hunters

Bright Horse Communications - PR & Marketing

Let's not start the squabbling, Children. Instead, how about telling me if, when and where these riders will be training in Aiken this winter?

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

Ok so they released the Winter Training Lists but they have yet to release the Developing Riders List. I would be willing to bet that most of the horse/riders ya'll feel were left off will show up on the Developing Riders List.

As someone who has been on the DRL, we were treated the same as those on the WTL riders (this was when it was all held at Longwood in Ocala).
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Thumbs up Sory, missed that!

Thank you, Grey dun, you're right! I'm glad to be wrong about that!
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

That is THE most stupid excuse for an "A" and "B" List I have ever seen!!

Give me a break!!

It is same old same old.

The only one on there who is an up and comer is Will Coleman!!

Corinne Ashton, Jennifer Wooten, and Buck Davidson should all be on the "A" list.

And, IMO, I think a few YR's like Jennie Brannigan should be on the "B" list.

And, last I checked, Clark had more than 1 Advanced horse, so he should be on there. Along with Bonnie. Now, I do not know the status of soundness etc. but you can't tell me all of these horses that aren't on the list and should be aren't sound.

And the stupidity goes on .........
    "Fifteen minutes of excellent work is better than an hour and a half of wandering aimlessly around." -Col. Bengt Ljundquist

What more does Jennifer Wooten have to do to get on the A list?

Really. She was 7th at Rolex and totally rocked at the Olympic selection pageant.

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post

Really. She was 7th at Rolex and totally rocked at the Olympic selection pageant.
    IMHO she should have gone to Hong Kong! That mare of hers is BRILLIANT!!!!!

She is obviously not in the right peoples' pockets
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Ditto. She is on the same arc that Gina Miles was on.

Does USET have any eventing team events for 2009?
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Totally biased here, but the same goes for Missy Ransehousen. Third at Rolex on a horse who show jumps beautifully. I guess turning down the Olympic selection trials b/c you already are fully committed to coaching the Paralympic team made her not enough of a team player?
    I evented just for the Halibut.

I really don't know enough about folks to comment about who should/shouldn't be on the list. But I'm SOOOO impressed with Will Coleman. I heard a podcast w/ him last year (when Tack of the Day was doing them--I MISS them!), and I was impressed as heck with his background and dedication. Plus, every picture I've EVER seen of him, his legs are tight as a tick. I would say he really is (part of) the future of our sport. He's a superb horseman.