The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Paint/TB pony, conformation critique, cute little mare!

This is a 3 y/o Paint/TB mare I am looking at. She's just started undersaddle and has an exceptional personality. Very nice mover, actually has a nice stretchy walk and good, above average trot, and "cute" (not earth-shattering) canter. Just at 14hh.

I'm trying to figure out what i'd do with her besides put her in pink polo wraps and tell her what a cute baby she is? My main interest is dressage, but her dam is a super nice hunter pony. Don't now much about daddy except that he was a TB on lay-up at the farm.

What do you think of her overall? The one thing I am least thrilled with is her neck, but an wondering if it might improve slightly with more condition? I look at her and don't see anything obviously wrong, but I know that the COTHers eyes see all.

But her price is right, shes been started nicely, and passed the vet check. Now it's time for the COTH check.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...984/river4.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...984/river3.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...984/river2.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...984/river1.jpg
    Common sense aint so common.

her neck leaves something to be desired, but if she is only 3 she probably isn't done growing yet, and muscling up the topline does wonders.

What a cutie though!! Love her markings.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

She's adorable!!! I'm not knowledgable enough to comment on her conformation, but she is REALLY cute. Some little girl's dream!!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Ok she's 3, so take these comments as mere ... foma. Not etched in stone.
    LOVEY huge hip and hind end. I love her tail set, and what a nice heartgirth!
    With such a strong hind end I am inclined to overlook weakness in the front end. Her shoulder angle is a bit more upright then we like to see for a hunter prospect (but this can be concealed by a big pushing motor!) and it doesn't exactly match her hind end.
    Her neck is a bit on the short side (or her head is long...). Nice tapered muzzle. Femimine features.
    I can't be sure but her hocks look a bit posty, and she *might* toe out.
    The dip in front of the neck isn't terrific, but she's an unworked 3 year old. What worries me more is the low tie in between her neck and chest. It looks like you could move her whole neck up 3 or 4 inches to have it set "right". As a result, it should be easy for her to do stretchy low work, but might be terribly hard to move uphill or even level.
    She looks cute and sweet, but I am not convinced by her conformation that she will naturally be a terrific hunter.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

She does have a nice engine on her and I don't see the posty hocks.

But, to me anyway, she is kind of plain, really don't like the way her neck is set on, don't think anything will smooth out that dip in front of the withers. Doesn't look like much of a throatlatch either.

Also, to me, she is waspy waisted and bellied up here. Some of that may go away with work and a good diet but I fear not all of it. Agree she does not match front to back and lacks substance in the front. As a coming 4 y/o from a usually faster maturing cross, not sure how much growing she is really going to do...and you sure don't want more then an inch and a half here if you want a Pony. IME, most of the time, there are no dramatic changes in basic appearance and conformation ahead for a near 4 y/o...actually not much after 2 for this type. Fill out and get bigger, sure, but no change in build.

On the plus side, she appears to be the type that is not going to have a buch of leg and foot problems-pretty stout in that department and that's good. Looks like a nice basic model.

I just would not select her for the show ring in a judged division like Hunter Pony where pretty is a neccessity. But she might make a darn good kids Pony or SS type.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

I think she's cute. It all depends on how far you expect her to take you though. I don't think she's going to be able to collect very well with that high set on neck. She looks like she'd be a fun horse though....
    "Marriage is like a deck of cards--it starts with two hearts and a diamond and after a while you wish you had a club and a spade." ~seen on an anniversary card~

I'm not too concerned with conformation, in my book a horse gets a pass/fail. The athletic ability, movement and temperment are more important than a 10 build. I don't like her neck, however. But what concerns me most is that she looks undernourished, and I'm afraid that if you feed her good, she will turn out to be 14.3!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash44 View Post
    I'm not too concerned with conformation, in my book a horse gets a pass/fail. The athletic ability, movement and temperment are more important than a 10 build. I don't like her neck, however. But what concerns me most is that she looks undernourished, and I'm afraid that if you feed her good, she will turn out to be 14.3!!!
    I agree about her neck and the possibility she might grow to hony sized.

She also looks a bit light boned to me...

Question Thank you!

I'm definitely not looking to take the Pony Hunters by storm on a National level, or expecting an upper level prospect out of a backyard accident pony LoL.

When I say the price is right, I mean it, her owners would like to give her to me, no charge, because I helped them out with their retirement plan and finances. Great old-time horsey folks.

I'm just debating whether she should stay in the backyard and be a fun little 4-H project for my horse crazy nephew, or if I should invest the time to get her out at the local shows and make a go of it. Her attitude is right, and that "engine" really does produce a nice step and a trot that everyone, including myself, really enjoys watching. I will not be heartbroken if she scootches her way into hony territory.

I really, really appreciate everyone taking the time to contribute your thoughts.

Let me present her to you this way, if you were offered this mare for no purchase cost ( I dare not use the word "free" in this business) what would YOU want to do with her based on the impression these photos give?
    Common sense aint so common.

I'd get her all fit up and see what you have! She is awfully cute. Give her six months and see what happens

I would event her. You don't really need pretty and as long as she is athletic and can get the job done, Well , there you go. I would scoop her up quick she is quite cute.
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

I agree 6 months... Of work and GOOD nutrition.. She could turn out to be super Pony.
    I always give horses like that a chance. If nothing else... she could just make a good Nephew horse! I tell you, if she worked long and low... the nephew could show her in stock horse shows.
    But I think her neck will fill out. Beet Pulp and Rice Bran...... always works wonders.
    Zook Suit Riot- Mustang/Paint Gelding
    Proud member of the KELTON'S Crew
    CousinVinsky-Skinny Vinny JockeyClub/Alydar Grandson.Gelding Chestnut.
    CUnex2zdai- 2008 Buttermilk Buckskin Colt -ABHA/IBHA