The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bagged shavings from Tractor Supply Co.

So, I was thinking TSC sold bagged pine shavings like Southern States sells. I normally get my shavings at SS because it's close to my farm, but decided since I had a 10% off coupon for TSC, I'd pick some up there today. Well, I looked at them and they just say "Wood Shavings" on the bag, not "Pine Shavings" like the SS ones.

Being the worrywart that I am, I decided against buying any since they were not clearly marked pine. I have a chestnut that has minor allergic reactions sometimes and prefer not to change anything in his environment unless I have to.

Does anyone use these and know what type of wood is in them? I'm curious now.

I don't know what is in them. I have used them when in a pinch and my horses, who aren't hyper sensative, have never reacted. They seem to be nice, not dusty at all.

I've never had a problem/reaction with it, but I don't like them at all because the TSC flakes are much bigger than the SS shavings and much harder to pick the stall without wasting bedding.

My experience has been the same as TheOtherHorse's (including not liking them and for the same reason).

Thes we get from TS near me appear to be pine. I really like the bigger flakes since they don't get dusty as fast. However I have a guy that delivers shavings to me for 3.50 a bag... just can't beat that.

The ones at our local TS are in Black bags and I think have "Royal" as the brand...they are super nice shavings, I've used them many times and like them better than the ones that our barn uses.

I use TSC bagged shavings periodically, when barn supplies are low, etc. I used to be very happy with them, but HATE them since they switched to the "Royal" brand in black bags. I find them to be big flakes with no absorbency. No problems with allergies or reactions, but I feel like I take most of them out the next day; they seem to absorb VERY little moisture, and are so big that most of the ones that actually stayed dry come out in the fork anyway.

I frequently use the TSC brand shavings (clear bag with red TSC logo). They are less dusty than the other brand (Beaver Creek) that the local feed stores here sell. I have always just "ass"umed they were pine. My 25 year old gelding will break out in hives if a fly looks at him wrong and he has never had problems due to these shavings.
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

I have used the TSC brand in the clear bag and the "other" brand in the black bag for away shows and in the trailer and I believe they have always been pine.

My friend uses them in her stall and she says hers are pine.

I buy them for in my horse trailer. I know they sell pine and cedar. When I got them they were labeled as such with the price. Our TS doesn't carry shavings in black bags that I've seen.
    Cloverfox Stables

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default interesting.....

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    The ones at our local TS are in Black bags and I think have "Royal" as the brand...they are super nice shavings, I've used them many times and like them better than the ones that our barn uses.
    My local TSC had these and they were nasty - huge rough flakes and they were damp inside the sealed bags.
    I made sure I let them know I preferred their regular brand and why, and haven't seen the black Royal bags there for a while.

The TSC brand in clear bags is okay and it is all pine shavings.
    Because TSC is so huge they are nearly $2 less per bag than my feed store.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I agree, the clear bag TSC brand shavings are much better, but since we mostly use them in the trailer I am not as picky as if I were bedding their regular stall.