The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question SE Pa, or mid atlantic Have you seen this?? Looks like Rain rot but it isn't...

I have seen what seems to be rain rot, but its not.

Here's the thing...I thought it was from a reaction to the cleaning agents used on our non-slip pads. (The thing that touches the skin directly)

We saw crud under the saddle area usually under where the saddle panels would be by the shoulders.

But then a few horses had it on their rumps and by their tails.

So I was working on the whole saddle pad theory when I went to my horse's barn and saw him. Well, he has the crud under the saddle area too. Wouldn't be weird but he hasn't been ridden in 2 months??!!??

Ok so then it gets weirder...

The rain rot idea doesn't fit b/c a mare came back from her steeplechase trainer and has been on stall rest. Hasn't been outside, let alone in rain, for weeks. Yet voila, she has the crud come up on her left rump. Only this time its bad.... like dime, nickel and quarter size skin comes off leaving yellow gooey residue behind, and open flesh.

I have seen that on 3 horses now. Not all in the same place.

So here's the signs...that I have seen anyway..

Type 1: Simple:

Crud under saddle area on either side of the spine, some on flanks and sides. Just a simple crud

Type 2: Wide spread simple:

More crud, along the neck, some legs, and back and croup.

Type 3: Complex:

More concentrated areas of crud, some incorporating the larger peeling skin with open flesh left behind. The fleshy type seems to be on the back, legs or rump.

So far we have been throwing everything but the kitchen sink at this. Not much help.

And no its not ringworm.

The current treatment is wash with sebhorric skin shampoo, leave on 5-10 mins, wash off, dry. Apply Novalsan Plus daily. Vet thinks moisture is better than drying it out, since the "Ick" needs to come off, either by peeling or falling and its not seeming to simply dry itself out and leave.

I am planning to have the vet look more closely at it soon. Just have to get permission to call her out.

We have tried washing with Betadine scrub, that seemed to make it angry. And DMSO was not a great idea.

Anyone have any clues what this is and how to treat it???

I have never seen anything like it.

I will try to get pics tomorrow.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Someone did start a thread about this a month ago. I can't spell her user name, but its like pnywyyn. Teddys breeder lady?

Allergies?

I saw something like that a few weeks ago - we were thinking maybe the hurricane activity brought in something foreign

Whatever it is, we've got the same thing here - the complex version. Our vet *still* doesn't know what it is. We treated it as ringworm which was our vet's best guess, and isolated the weanling who had it, but noticed yesterday that several of the others now have it too, despite being separated for MONTHS from the one we first noticed it on. The owner here is kinda cheap & won't pay for a full workup, so if you all up there figure it out, please post! We're currently toying w/ the idea of whacking the whole lot of 'em with SMZs just to see if that works.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Well let me save you some drugs...

SMZ- Nothing improved

Azium- Ditto

Fulvicin packets- Ditto

All of us are stumped.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Thanks. We did Fulvicin on the one weanling and nothing really improved. SMZs were where we were going to go next. I appreciate the help!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Have you tried a bath followed by a rinse with a packet of Timsen dissolved in a couple of gallons of water?

Virkon?
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Ok D help me out.... what is Vikron?

Evalee....Have you seen this? I know that Timsen works on Rain rot, but so far what works on rain rot, hasn't worked on this.

~Emily

No, I wouldn't say I've seen it, or nothing that looked quite that bad as you describe. However, Timsen is quaternary ammonium which is a good general disinfectant that kills all kinds of stuff, not just bacteria so I thought it might be worth a try.

Back in the 1960s I used to buy the store brand clothes softener & use on the clothes I took to the laundromat because softeners in those days were quaternary ammonium which should have killed anything left behind in the washer by someone else. I don't know what is in clothes softeners today. Wish I did.

Last summer there was weird hair loss on some of the horses I trim. It looked like rain rot at first but didn't respond to rain-rot treatment. The horses went practically bald, and then the hair regrew. So far I've only seen it on senstive-skinned horses such as TB's. Don't know if it is the same thing you're describing. And not all the horses in the same paddock would get it. It was selective.

I had one case of really bad rain rot that would not clear up with normal treatments in an OTTB I cared for briefly. I accidentally gave this horse a chemical burn by rubbing in a sweat-proof fly spray (mistook the bottle for Microtek in the dark). I felt terrible about the burn, but his skin pealed, he lost hair, and then healthy hair grew in. Even though I occasionally battle rain rot, this is the only time I've seen it that persistent and spread so fast. Until I accidentally burned him, it was as though the treatments made it worse.

I have seen rain rot as bad as you describe where big scabs form with pus underneath. These were in racehorses, and Microtek worked--eventually. They also received oral antibiotics.

I'm in your area, so I hope I don't see more of what you are talking about showing up!

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Ok D help me out.... what is Vikron?

Evalee....Have you seen this? I know that Timsen works on Rain rot, but so far what works on rain rot, hasn't worked on this.

~Emily
    Virkon is a broad spectrum disinfectant, as is Timsen... but I'd be very leery of putting either on a skin infection that is leaving behind open flesh...
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Interested to see photos - my horse, who I've had 7 years, has some funky skin stuff on his rear that we noticed Sunday - it's not like rain rot, it almost looks like his skin cracked but is scabbed up like rain rot, in dime to quarter size patches.

We put vaseline on it cause it looked dry. I haven't looked at it today yet.

ETA: This horse is fully clipped and blanketed, so it's not like he has long, damp dirty fur.

Any chance this started when you first put on blankets/sheets? What you're describing sounds like what my TB gets when he has an allergic reaction. In my horse's case it is neoprene, but am wondering if it could possibly be from a reaction to detergent of some sort.
    -------------------------
    Good dressage is like grass growing. You don't see anything happening, but over time it becomes more beautiful. - Walter Zettl

In my case, the horse is wearing the same blanket he has for the last 6 winters, and I haven't washed it in 2 years - sounds gross, but he's a really clean boy and I hate to wash the blankets if I don't have to!!

I do know one horse who has a sort of mystery crud that doesn't look like rainrot. It's on his back, and is scattered around in tiny patches (less than dime sized... like the size of my pinky nail?). Not greasy or scurfy like the rain rot I'm used to. He does not wear blankets and has not been ridden, so it doesn't seem related to anything that could have gotten on him by contact.

If anybody has something that works, pass on the info
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Eeew, Em, sounds like you have a big battle on your hands. I have nothing helpful to offer in the cure, but I did learn something last winter in Aiken. Being the lazy bones that I am, after working my horses, I give them a shower and while they're still wet, throw them back out in their fields. In Aiken, I did the same-groomed, rode, showered, started walking to the field to turn the boy out when the barn boss said, "Whoa!! Don't put him out till he's dry!" Huh? Well, turns out, there is some sort of a bacteria in the soil that, when the horse's coat is wet, the bugs can climb aboard and cause all sorts of cruddy skin, similar to what you guys are describing. Could this be your prob? If so, you'll have to find the very meds that will target those very bugs.
    I wonder if you put the yummy Desitin/Monistat/Desenex/Furacin/Neo Sporin scratches recipe on if it would help. Sure is something for everyone in that goop. Good luck!

Why don't you do a skin scraping and culture it? Then you'd know what you're dealing with.

I saw this a my old barn about 5 years ago. The horses were all goopy and the skin just peeled off! We made sure to wash and clean anything that touched the horses in 10% bleach- my horse had different halter fuzzies that I switched out between washings- eventually we got rid of it (unfortunately, I can't remember the treatment!) Just clean everything!!! Cozzy still has this odd bald patch on his shoulder.- Like dripping spots of baldness in a straight line- luckily he is roan and you can't see it. A new horse came in the barn with the same drippy bald line, he had apparrently experienced the same rotting goo as well. Good luck- it will go away- just be vigilent!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

All I can add is I have 'creeping crud' for the first time ever.

Not really responding as Rain Rot should. Everyone eventually is ending up with it. They aren't blanketed, the one worked is the only one WITHOUT it. I tinkered with feed late last winter. I am wondering if I've got a copper deficiency going. Changed from alfalfa based ration balancer to alfalfa pellets/cubes with vits/mins. Diamond V XP . (I've used both vits/mins in the past & the diamond v.) They did NOT get this crud when it rained for like the entire month of August. All started coming up with it a week or two ago.

Mine aren't weeping, but I'm not agressively going after scabs either. Using Listerine, Olive Oil & Tea Tree oil, which does work, but slowly. (Or, conversely, it's just taking it's course!)
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)