The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i removed the text.
    Last edited by andylover; Dec. 8, 2008 at 11:01 AM.

pigsandponies Guest

The facility has had a nice makeover.

I didn't think the rates were all that reasonable, though. You could put a horse in training with a well-known, proven dressage instructor across the river on the west side of town for about the same price at a nice barn with better turnout.

Red face

I know Heath very well. My sugestion is to go out and watch Him ride, teach, and decide for your self. I would be out there my self if it wasn't way out in Borring.
    I'd love to know who offers full care and training for under $750 on the west side. I'm paying about $1000 a month for full care and partial training.
    Good thing I ride better than I spell!

Regarding the barn . . . it did under-go a nice make-over. But that is relative. The place needed a lot of work. The self-care people are still there and their horses still live in 10x10 concrete stalls with no turn-out. No different from 1990 when I boarded there for six months during the winter (when I was in high school). Except they had some turn-out back then (before the outdoor arena), but only myself and one other used it. Lots of cowboy types, wild teenagers hauling in during gaming nights, etc. The place is good for events and hauling in but not good living conditions, in my opinion.

Regarding Heath, I have heard good things about him and his rates are reasonable except for the fact that board is way too high for reasons stated above. I was at a show there a few weeks ago, just watching. We drove by and noticed it, so we stopped in. I saw Heath ride during a break. He was on what looked like a very spirited TB and the horse was a bit crazed due to the minis, the driving horses and the Autumn set-up in the middle of the arena. He handled it well, with a lot of praise and encouragement. He could have cowboyed the horse, there were a few of those riding in there, but he didn't. I was impressed.

But, this is all I know. I thought about taking some lessons from him to improve my riding while I'm sorting out what is wrong with my horse. But, I don't know if he has lesson horses available.

I was considering the same thing. My mare lives about 15 minutes away and I'd like to haul in for a lesson or two once in a while, but she's pregnant and I won't be starting any serious work with her until after her foal is weaned many many months from now.

If you find out if he has lesson horses available, will you let us know?

Default update

i fell off the face of the earth the last couple of weeks, my apologies to all that posted regarding heath. and thank you. i did meet him and was impressed with his level of professionalism. he spent a lot of time with me, and worked/trained the horses well. he does turn them out into the smaller arena and they are working on building outside paddocks for turnout when its not nasty outside. i myself prefer horses while in training to not have access to the outside, i would hate to have a horse laid up while at training. but thats just me. the barn has gone through major renovations and looks quite nice. and compared to other training fees and barns thought was quite reasonable. i have gone to some expensive dressage barns and the owner/trainers didnt spent more than five minutes with me. i wont mention those barn names though.

Default schooling horses

ohrabear, i dont think he has any schooling horses per se.. but call him and ask, he is very personable.. he may also know a horse you can use for schooling.. maybe i will see you there..

Quote Originally Posted by andylover View Post
    ohrabear, i dont think he has any schooling horses per se.. but call him and ask, he is very personable.. he may also know a horse you can use for schooling.. maybe i will see you there..
    Oooh that will be fun!

I just found out that the people leasing my Standardbred want to give him back, so I might drag him to MHEEC for a lesson or two... he's the only sane, rideable, and non-pregnant critter I have! And he could use LOTS of work!

I will keep you posted and perhaps we can bump into each other!

oharabear, that would be cool.. i am planning on shipping off my youngster in the next few days.. waiting for the farrier now, who was supposed to be here last friday.. so i can at least send my youngster off with his feet cleaned up lol.. that would be cool.. i will be driving up there quite a bit once i get him going also.. EEHC has a great viewing room .. let me know when you head over there.. would love to bump into you.!!!

Default Well hello everyone!

This is the Heath Curry you all have been discussing. I must say it is beyond sureal to see people discussing me on a website, however a student found this forum and braught it to my attention.

For the record, I am 34, I have been riding dressage horses since I was 8, riding since I was 5.
    I was born and raised in Portland Or except for a few years in N California, where I began my dressage education. My Dressage master was named Margaret Barz, an American ex-patriot who married an Austrian, and when he passed away she moved home to the US and was my neighbor. She and her husband owned and operated a Dressage school in Austria, as well as a breeding farm.
    I began taking lessons on 2 of the retired Grand Prix horses she came home with. She was my teacher until her death in the early 90's, she taught me evrything I know about Dressage, there will never be another like her, they just don't teach that way anymore, it's all bits and whips these days!
    I have however tried to clinic, on a regular basis with Kyra Kyrkland, Jane Savoie, and Jessica Ranshuesan.
    My method is a combined Austrian with Classical French philosophy, in that I value lightness in the aids, and perfect timing above all other techniques or methods.
    I have a BS in Clinical science and a BS in Ethology, I have a huge interest in not only equine behavior but Canine behavior as well, specifically canine aggression. I graduated From OSU.
    I am currently owner and trainer of HUNTER CREST FARMS, in Boring Oregon, with 2 other business partners.

We specialize in young sport horses and the amatuer sport horse rider.
    If anyone has other questions, please feel free to call or stop by.
    www.mheec.com
    503.663.4200 Office
    503.810.7065 Cell
    Oh yeah,I have competed in 3 Grand Prix, my first was in Sacramento CA on a catch ride, it was aweful I scored a 60% overall, goes to show that we never are as good as we think we are!!

My focus is now mostly classical, but I hope to find a nice prospect for the 09 season.

goes to show that we never are as good as we think we are!!
    Except that most of us are not under the illusion that we are any good in the first place! Maybe that's why we have enough humility not to rip fellow proffessionals to shreds, in print and in public.
    Good luck with your business. Sounds like you're going to need it!

Heath:
    I have however tried to clinic, on a regular basis with Kyra Kyrkland, Jane Savoie, and Jessica Ranshuesan.
    Just curious: Where, when, and often did you get the opportunity to clinic with Kyra Kyrklund, Jane Savoie, and Jessica Ransehousen (not Ranshuesan)? Have any of them have ever been "regular" clinicians in California?

Mr Curry has also clineeked with Anky and Klimke! according to another thread!

but he didn't like them much.

lets address your citation of the GREAT Reiner Klimke, whom I think is only slightly more mediocre than Anky, ok well maybe more than slightly, but hardly what "WE" call a master.
    A wonderful horseman, yes, talented , for certain, well known and read, yes, my hero, no.
    I would send my horse to the local Dressage HACK before I sent it to him.
    SO I am NOT impressed by your invocation of the great KLIMKE!!
    Dig deeper, for what impresses me, and the school I follow is much, much older!
    Please do not attack those whom you do not know, in this case, I know BOTH the big names you throw around, and have cliniqued with them both.

In the words of the great Yoda

There is no try only do.

...unless trying would be perecipioistus I mean precipitous.

Well this will be fun to watch. Another wanna be BNT comes on here to make nasties at the natives

Here's a great way to promote yourself as a professional...

"Oh Yes, and you "feisomeday", not much better than your friend, "toast" is it?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by feisomeday
    she is from "BORING"

I would guess your age at 13, go to bed now little one, off to sleep, it's much past your bedtime!"

Name calling and name dropping aren't impressive. Neither is that condescending attitude. Stop and read here a bit. Maybe you'll notice that most of the REAL big time folks don't post here because, well, they have a business to run and do it well. And those that do come by, are very respectful and polite to everyone. And they don't engage in petty pissing contests, in which they only make themselves look dumb.

Agreed. He is crossed off my list of potential trainers. Which sucks, because the location is highly convenient, and I'm sure Mr. Curry does know what he's talking about. But why would I want to subject myself to dealing with that much ego?

There are many other highly talented and qualified dressage trainers in this area (despite what Mr. Curry thinks) and I'm sure that they are capable of remaining professional. Even on the internet.

Pass the popcorn.

Default Are you sure

he is the real mccoy and not someone posing as him? The attitude just seems really off for a pro.

Why the hostility?

Some people are better horse people than people people. Just have faith he is one of them!

I suspect he's one of them, all right!

Just how does one TRY to clinic with the likes of Kyra, Jane and Jessica? You either do or don't. Fiona had it right!