The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to do with OLD ribbons?

My mother just brought me one of the COOLEST things I've had in a long time: My grandfather's ribbons from when he rode ponies in the 1920s-30s. Some of them are in great shape, others are more worn. They have all sorts of comments on the back about the classes, and how the day went, so I'd love to store them in some way that allows the backs to be read.
    How would you store/display them if they were yours? Shadow boxes?
    I would love to prevent as much deterioration as possible...

I have some pictures of him riding, as well as some of his trophies, and I'd love to put together a real display in my office at some point..

Soo... ideas?

TIA!!!
    -Jessica

I saw someone make beautiful Christmas tree ornaments by taking the bottom part off and attaching a ribbon to the top.

There's a woman up my way who makes some sort of quilts out of them, for decoration. I've seen pictures, they're really cool and make a lovely keepsake. Maybe someone in your area does the same thing.

vintage window shutters- a classy way to display ribbons without disembowling them.

Since you want to be able to read the comments on the back, I would make a series of "picture frames". I am not sure what to use for the edging - something that has a u-shaped profile so it will slip over both the front & back of the frame. Use clear "plastic" (you can buy sheets of plastic at home stores such as Home Depot or Lowes) for both the front & the back so you can enjoy both sides. If the ribbons have a metal "bridle hanger" on the back I would cut that off or pull it out if you can. Then I would compress the ribbons between the two sheets of plastic & secure everything with the u-shaped edging. You could hang these on the wall but you would be able to lift them down to read them. Secure a picture hanging wire by putting tiny screws in the u-shaped edging.

My father used to make that type of picture frame using metal shelf supports that attached to the wall to make adjustable shelves. The metal strip that was screwed to the wall had a u-shaped profile & he slipped it over the edge to hold the front & back together. I don't know if you can buy that type of thing any more. You used to be able to buy it in "silver", "brass", "black", etc.

I would use fairly good sized pieces of plastic so you could secure maybe 4 - 8 ribbons fairly close together.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyLindsay View Post
    vintage window shutters- a classy way to display ribbons without disembowling them.
    Oh I like this idea!

I'm shying away from the quilt idea simply because the fabric of the ribbons themselves are somewhat fragile, and I'd really like to keep the comments on the backs of the buttons (in my great-grandfather's handwriting, no less)...

He competed in the Dutchess County area of NY - he had (before his dementia) wonderful stories of taking his pony across the Hudson on the ferry, setting him up at the showgrounds, and taking the ferry back home again only to return in the morning to compete the next day. He even rode in Madison Square Garden once in the National Horse Show
    -Jessica

I like the idea of shadowboxes-you could mix up the pictures and ribbons, with some showing the front of the ribbon and some showing his comments. Or you could take pictures of the comments and make a kind of decoupage of them for the background of the shadowbox.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Evalee - that sounds like a great idea. I'll have to check out the materials - it should be a good winter project
    -Jessica

Ribbon Quilts are fun. I like the idea of shadow boxes, done a few of those. Also, my friend had a table made that is all glass is and she puts her ribbons in that. So you can see them through the glass and she uses the table in her living room.
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

I would do shadow boxes, pick some that have less comments and put them right side out. Combine these with some of the ones with narrative. If they are from big shows I would look online for posters from the shows (might be harder to find for the local stuff but maybe possible for the big shows). I would use fishing line secured within the shadow box to hang the ribbons on, that way they look like they are hanging within the box. What a fun project. Let us know how it turns out (pictures please ).

ETA I had an idea...the background of the shadow box could be a picture of him and the pony (or of his farm if there was such a thing or a pair of older style boots and helmet or the show poster from above, etc) that you have copied and blown up and faded out in a watermark style so the image is there but not the main focus and hang ribbons as before.
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Well I don't think that this idea would fit your needs for preservation, but I'm going to throw it out there for others who might be interested in alternative ribbon displays...

Ribbon Ponies:

http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-ne...w-ribbons.aspx

But unfortunately this article links to a website which does not seem to be current. I can't find any other info on Google right now. It's a girl local to me in Massachusetts that was making them. I could have sworn I saw an ad in a local horse paper for her ribbon ponies in the last few months. I'll look through my mags and if I find some contact info I'll post it.

Aw those ribbon ponies are CUTE!!

Thank you all for the ideas - I will certainly post pictures once I get them all finished up
    -Jessica

Do the ribbons have rosettes or are they flat? If flat how about framing them with two pieces of glass...instead of a solid backing. That way you can show people both sides. Or perhaps some type of glass top display table?

Quote Originally Posted by RNB View Post
    Do the ribbons have rosettes or are they flat? If flat how about framing them with two pieces of glass...instead of a solid backing. That way you can show people both sides. Or perhaps some type of glass top display table?
    Partial quote from post #5, above:

Quote Originally Posted by Evalee Hunter View Post
    Since you want to be able to read the comments on the back, I would make a series of "picture frames". . . . Use clear "plastic" (you can buy sheets of plastic at home stores such as Home Depot or Lowes) for both the front & the back so you can enjoy both sides. . . .
    Plastic has several advantages over glass for this type of use; for one thing, it is unbreakable if someone drops a frame while turning it over to look at the comments; and, for another thing, plastic is much lighter, making it easier to move the frames around to view both sides of the ribbons.