The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default EMERGENCY! HELP!!! NEED TRANQUILIZER GUN!!!

Anyone in Northeast Ohio know where we can get a tranquilizer gun????

We have a serious problem, and I hope no one thinks this is FUNNY.

My friend's prize, pet cow got loose on the road, and we can't catch her. We have tried everything. I just got back from there. She is just terrified, we can't get near enough her to catch her. She has gone back and forth across the road several times and almost gotten killed, let alone having nearly caused a couple horrific traffic accidents. We have the local sherrif, a couple vets, and NONE of us know where in the world to find a tranquilizer gun today-right-now. Please help! To top it off we've got a full scale wind and rain storm going and the weather is just really, really not helping.

I realize some people will think it doesn't matter because it's a cow, but she's a pet and my friend's kids really adore her. The kids would be heartbroken if anything happened to her.

Please PM me, or post here if you have any suggestions or have a gun we can borrow.

Dept of Fish and Game!

Local Humane shelter

State Police

Animal control, they have to have them for dogs.

DNR (dept of natural resources) for wild animals, they have them.

If not, the cops might kill the cow to protect motorists.

Doesn't someone have a rope?

Lure the cow with feed in a bucket?

Anyone got a herding dog like an Aussie or Heeler? They are great at this.

Good luck.

Oh, wow. Poor girl. Can you close the road off at all? Would she follow a calm horse back to safety?

I hope it works out okay.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

And if a vet is there, or you can get to one, get some tranqulizers and put them dissolved in water in feed, and put the feed pan where the cow will find it.

Don't y'all have Ace or Rompum (xylazine) at the barn? Use it in feed. put in pan. put out where you can herd the cow towards it. Hopefully she is not too frightened to eat.

Jeez! I hope you get her! Any team penning people out there who could help? Any way to totally block her into a small space? They're going to have to close the road to avoid accidents! Keeping fingers crossed for you all.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Ask at the local sale barn for some cowboy with a horse and rope.
    There are roping clubs in every part of the country now, look for one in the yellow pages?
    If not, large animal vets would know who is a roper that could help.

If not, how about herding dog trainers?
    They have the dogs for the job and you can get a cow dog broke in a hurry with the right dog/s.

We have rompun, she won't come up to a feed pan. We put out feed right when it happened, there's still so much green grass, apples and other stuff out that she won't come near any feed that's set out. It's like she just lost her mind. She's normally gentle. I don't know if someone on a horse could get anywhere near her. It's just open fields and she is as wild as a march hare all of a sudden. I think I best chance is to shoot her with a tranquilizer dart. Even at that someone would have to be a hell of a good shot, it's a very long shot Most deer are shot at relatively close distances, long shots are - well - long shots.

At one point she was over five miles away from her paddock.

We came in to warm up, it started to rain so hard we couldn't even see, so we loaded hay for a while.

I'll go back in a while, but right now we are a little rattled.

I went to take the truck back to the house and the brakes went out! What a day!

I'm sorry, this kind of thing is terrifying.

One possibility would be that if there is another cow from the herd who is halter-trained and easy to deal with, to lead that cow over to the side of the road and let the cow that's loose see it. have some feed laced with tranquilizer ready.

Hope this helps.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Ditto posting trot. Short of a tranq gun you need cowboys and portable panels. GOod luck.

Sounds like a terrible day! The windy weather surely isn't helping. Best of luck!

Local zoo, maybe? Could the cow have injured herself and be not right in the head?
    Click here before you buy.

Try getting in touch from the local cattleman's assn. (beef cattle). Perhaps one of their members knows where to find a tranq. gun. They may also have someone with a portable corral and sweep system already on a trailer to try to get her into.

Hey, I'm from rural northeast Ohio and there should be NO shortage of cowboys to help you with this. I can't imagine that there aren't some ropers in your area.

Sure should be easier to find a roper than a tranquilizer gun (which I imagine only zoos have).

Okay, having the cow slung to the ground with ropes might not be as peaceful as a tranq, but it's a hell of a lot better than getting hit by a truck.

I guarentee you, at least in my County (Knox) they DON'T have animal tranquilizer guns. Especially not for large animals.

For large animals, they have GUNS. Period. So be careful what you wish for when calling Animal control.
    Rhythm the perfect OTTB;Spock the will-be perfect OTTB;Mia the Arab/appendix COTH giveaway

Good luck with the roaming cow. I hope she ends up safe and sound.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Oh, if you're thinking of roping her- ask the local farriers. I'd think they're more likely to know who has working cow horses than the vets.

I was thinking someone used to working cattle from horseback also. What about driving her into a trap using panels and a group of people on foot? I've heard of loading cattle that way too using a panels and a trailer.

Down here, we have a local vet with a tranq gun actually. You might call some other practices and see if anyone has one.

Can any of the Amish help? That area has a lot of Amish as I recall. They might be a bit more cow savvy than your average person and perhaps they know of someone?

I hate to say it too but shooting her to stop her from hurting someone might be necessary. I hope not. What a tough situation. I have heard that cattle are awful to catch when loose. They just go and go...

I would also try to find cowboy(s)/horse(s) to try and rope her or contain her... If anyone has a stock-trained Aussie, Heeler, Border Collie, etc dog, that might help too... they can get them to go pretty well if they listen to the handler. So sorry, this sounds like a terrible situation and I hope no one, including the cow, gets hurt! Good luck.
    "The more I see, the less I know, the more I like to let it go." -Red Hot Chili Peppers

Our vet is licensed as a wildlife rehabilitator and has a tranquilizer gun.
    You may ask around what vet in your area is in charge of wildlife and he may have one also.

I still think that your local cattle sale would know who to contact if they themselves don't have someone handy with a rope, as they have such problems as escaped livestock regularly.

All of us here regularly put loose wild cattle back in the pastures...bumping them with our pickups.

Jingling that you can catch her before she or someone get hurt.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.