The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do you feed 2 horses in one pasture?

I feel like this is a really dumb question, but I really don't know the answer-I've always either had them in sep. pastures or brought them in the barn. My one guy is fence walking again (I posted a reply on the fence-walker thread), and I am thinking of attempting to turn him out with my other guy. The problem is they stay out 24/7 depending on weather, and I would need to feed them outside. I really don't have time to tie them, seperate them, etc. every morning and night )if I was going to do that, I would just bring them in the barn). Is there a successful way to do this?

Also-I am 5+ months pregnant, and am a little bit leary of trying to feed 2 hungry horses in the same pasture, but they aren't aggressive at feeding time while seperated, so maybe it won't be that bad? I just want it to be fairly simple if possible!

Any sugestions are welcomed!

Three or four piles of hay about 20 feet apart.

Dalemma

Feed bags work good with two horses in one pasture, the kind that fits over the mouth, with a strap over the ears. That's for grain or feed of some sort, then just get a hay rack or feeder for the hay.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Depends on what you're feeding them. We have feeders and the horses mostly get the same thing. If you're having to give them each some different supplements, that where it gets tricky. You can stand there and make sure they each eat from their own feeder. But if you're 5+ months pregnant, that might not be a good solution for you.

One will end up being the dominant one, you feed him first. Then give the other guy his. Problem is, the dominant one may then decide to go chase "low man" away from his feed, and then they'll switch. If they're eating the same thing it won't matter. If not...

Good luck!!

do feeds and shove the buckets under the fence line about 10 ft apart from each other that way you wont get hurt, as you preganant, then get havy as theres 2 horses put loads of hay out ie 3 big piles of hay in sheltered parts of your field ie so wont blow away

and spread it far enought aprt so they dont encorage kicking or biting, if no shelter for hay
    then find something like a barrel - or a bush or block of bottom part of fencing with some baords -- and place the hay there behind it,

always muck out areas where you put the hay as horses wont eat where they pooh or pee
    or in on it,, so dump it ,

keep your paddocks cleans and free from dung, when the lads are eating check your rugs are secure and pll them up if nessecary

turn your water when you start to feed them and do hay then turn off when they are all done
    and topped up with every thing

play safe whilse pregnant and be safe -- get the small skip feeding buckets that are flatish with handles they are rubber and not plastic
    once they have eaten and go off to eat the hay, remove buckets

if you havent a trough then use a bigger plastic bucket or bath or tank ie loft tanks make ideal troughs place in corner of the fiield and fill when nessecary

My three get the same thing, only different amounts. Fortunately the dominant gelding is the one who gets twice the amount of grain than the others get, so no one will mess with him or his food and he finishes it at his leisure.

The other two do switch off back and forth, but they get the same thing, so it's not a big deal.

As for their hay, I put out six piles for three horses, all about twenty feet apart, and they all happily wander around from pile to pile without any fights.

In addition to the other suggestions, you can have 2 ties at the fence. Hang 2 buckets, clip the dominant horse then the second horse and put the feed in the buckets. My friend does this with 4 horses, no problems (including when she was pregnant). As for hay, I have had no problems making multiple piles always spaced far enough apart that one horse cannot dominate multiple piles.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Feed bags work like a charm.
    Click here before you buy.

I have 3 mature horses, a yearling, and a mini-donkey all in the same pasture. My solution is to free feed hay (horse quality orchard/timothy/alfalfa round bales) and protein-mineral-vitamin supplement (Progressive Nutrition's ForagePro Paddock Formula (grass version) as the base diet, and supplement calories/electrolytes to the working horses while they are out on days they are ridden or worked. When the pregnant mare enters her last trimester she will get get an additional supplement, but she is uber alpha so it is not a problem to feed her in the field. The horses are much calmer with this arrangement and there is no feed time angst (which can be dangerous in a field feeding situation - I know someone who was killed feeding horses in a field when she got caught between two youngsters kicking at each other) because there is no "feed time".

If your kids aren't easy keepers, or if you don't have a reason or aren't able to pull them out of the field, I've successfully used feed bags (of course you have to enter the field to do this unless you are very fast or have super well behaved horses and can do it over the gate/fence) and I've also used goeslikestink's push the feed pan under the fence method. For the latter method to work for me, I diluted some horses' feed with additional beet pulp (you could also use grass pellets if you can get them where you are or some other relatively low calorie filler) in direct relation to how alpha they are or how fast they eat. The idea is to give the most alpha horse the most to eat so they are kept busy so everyone else has time to eat. Also it is helpful to use some sort of "no flip" feed pan for this or you waste a lot of feed/supplements.

Good luck.
    Liz
    Ainninn House Stud
    Irish Draughts and Connemaras
    Co. Westmeath, Ireland

Another suggestion for the dominant horse. Put some large rocks in the feed bucket to slow them down. This will help slow them enough so the other is finished before they are. I have 6 horses, in pairs, in separate pastures. They get close to the same amount of feed, just different supps. I know who eats faster or who is dominant so I put rocks in with the feed. 5 months pregnancy wasn't an issue for me but I had just started to gain weight then. The bigger you get, the more unstable you are on your feet. I'd take a crop whip with me too if you have problems with them being pushy and greedy.

The easier thing would be to throw a flake of hay over the fence about 20 feet apart. When they start eating that, then go in with your feed and feed them. They are much less likely to pounce on you (well, mine would be anyway).

I feed 15 to 20 mares in the same pasture I feed round bales when theres no grass and oats. The oats go into tubs, about 10 feet apart use about 5 more tubs then there are mares.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

We have used the 'over the fence' buckets.....just mount them several feet apart and make sure to put the 'more aggressive' horses' feed in the bucket FIRST....if you don't already know WHO that is....it won't be long before you find out...smile. Plus, keep round bales available....or, if you don't feed them.....once you've put their feed in the buckets....just go in the field and throw flakes of hay around for them.

Stay safe!
    Fox Call Farm
    Berryville, VA

Feed bags are great!

I recommend this style:

http://www.feedritebag.com/
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

We feed 2 in one pasture and 4 in the other. We bought those turned-inside-out tires for them and they are great. Spread them out about 20 feet. The 2 that are together are good with each other, but the 4 are little bossy, but the tires are close to the fence so we can just throw the feed over to 2 tires and the other two, I just walk into the pasture. I'm 8 months pregnant, so I know what you mean when it comes to feeding and horses.
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

If I only have 2 to feed outside, I often halter one, bring it outside the gate, put the grain inside the fence for the other.

I'm in 24x7 turnout mode for a couple more weeks, which means that I tie 3-5 horses to the fence and bring 1-3 inside (old man ALWAYS comes in to eat and the rest if I am going to ride).