The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Helmet to wear with Hearing Aids!

Hi all!

I usually wear a helmet when I ride. I cannot get my husband to wear a helmet when he rides because which ever helmet we have tried rubs on the top of his hearing aids.

Can anyone give me any ideas of which helmet to try? Does anyone ride wearing a helmet and hearing aids?

Thanks to one and all!

Here, hearing aids are useless outside, all you get to hear with them is the wind blowing by, similar to what you hear when someone is trying to talk to you over a portable phone in very windy conditions.
    If his hearing aids are so large as to interfer with the helmet, does he really need them while riding?
    Or get one or two very small ones just for riding?
    Mine are very small and would not rub, if I used them, but generally just turn them off and put them safely away.

I have a Troxel Dakota and it barely comes down to my ears. Have you tried that model?

I have an old Troxel Dakota (when they first came out) that he does not like. It may just be that he won't wear a helmet, which I hate. I can't force him to wear one. I would really like him to.

He won't ride without his hearing aids. It would be like me riding without my bra on....just feel nekkid.

I will have him try on a new Dakota to see if he likes it. Thank you for the suggestion.

I honestly couldn't imagine riding with behind the ear hearing aids...and there would be no problem with the little in the ear ones (at least I've never had a problem).

Good luck though with trying some of the newer style helmets..I'd just go the tack store and try on a bunch of different style/shape helmets to see what could work.

Two of my three daughters ride & have behind the ear hearing aids. Over the years we've had Troxel's, Internationals and currently Charles Owens'. They've never mentioned it. If it bothers them... I guess they deal because it's not an option to go without either one of them. My question is... "Is it really about the hearing aids or the helmet?"
    "We're still right, they're still wrong" James Carville

Tipperary Sportage

Knowing him, I do believe it is about the hearing aids. He won't go without them....safety issues. He has never worn a helmet before horsebackriding. If I am going to get him to where one, it must be comfortable. I will try the Troxels. I have a Tipperary and he hated that worst of all. I will take him to the tack store soon and try them all on. I don't want him to go without....I may have to in order to keep the peace.

MTR

I have hearing aids, but they're the in-the-ear style. I have one of those dial-a-fit helmets, and it doesn't seem like it would interfere with my ears. It's nice, because it adapts to having my hair up in it, or down normally. I can get the exact brand/model for you tomorrow.
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

I wear transfer hearing aids (over the earwith a wire running behind my head) and I use Troxel helmets. It works fine for me.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Sounds like his are behind-the-ear? I wear a canal style aid when I ride, and never had a problem. I did have one helmet years ago that caused feedback when I looked to the right towards a fence, and that added to hearing "whoosh whoosh whoosh" at the canter and missing an announcer calling trot or walk caused me to not wear my aid while riding for a while. Now I have a GR8 and wear it and have never had an issue.

Nice to see there are other hearing impaired riders here!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Go without? Ya right.... That's like asking someone to go without glasses because its going to get dirty while they ride....

I couldn't imagine not wearing my aids while riding... I can hear if something is wrong with my horse this way too... Sure if we're galloping- I won't be able to hear anything but the wind but I can still hear sounds

I wonder if his aids are too big or not fitted properly. I prefer to keep the tube from my molds and hearing aids quite short which makes my aids lay really close to my ears- Nice and tucked away.

I've ridden in troxels and currently riding in an International. I did try on a Charles Owen for the heck of it and had no problems. (had just bought an Internation not too long ago... so down the road I'll likely get a CO)

Maybe try and find a helment that has nice big opening where the ears are placed.

Also, if his aids are too high- he will get feedback... turning it down a notch or two will help in the long run.

Hope that helps!

I think I will make it an issue. He will not ride without them. I just need to find a helmet that he can wear with them in.....

His aids fit well. They do not bother him when he wears a ball cap. I think he just needs one with bigger ear openings....I will try the co, international, and troxel this week at the store.

Thanks to all. I appreciate it.

It is neat to see others riding with hearing impairments. I am glad to see that it doesn't hold you back. I have poor vision. I wear contacts. I wear glasses everytime I ride. I am afraid of messing up my eyes. My glasses must fit...mostly sun glasses. I love my Rudy Projects. I really do. I need to get another pair in interchangable lenses and get a pair of low light lenses as I am often out past sunset.

have you heard of the new lyric hearing aid? It goes completely into your ear. The doctor puts it in then every 120 days it is replaced with a new one. My dad is about to get one for both ears.
    Here it is
    http://www.lyrichearing.com/

It is amazing. A friend of mine tried it and could hear perfectly immediately and she has 75% hearing loss in her left ear, I think 30 in the other.
    Anyways you could wear any helmet with those, just a thought.
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

Quote Originally Posted by firstimpressioncounts View Post
    Go without? Ya right.... That's like asking someone to go without glasses because its going to get dirty while they ride....

I couldn't imagine not wearing my aids while riding... I can hear if something is wrong with my horse this way too... Sure if we're galloping- I won't be able to hear anything but the wind but I can still hear sounds
    The only time I have seen my father go without his hearing aids was when we took my son to Chuck E Cheese. It was so loud with screaming obnoxious kids that he popped his hearing aids out and said "much better". Very convenient.

It was so loud with screaming obnoxious kids that he popped his hearing aids out and said "much better". Very convenient.

I do not wear mine until way past after breakfast much to annoyance to my DH and my girls!

Since my aids are digital and are very sensitive to sounds, it'd SQUEAL very loudly whenever I put helmet over it. I found a solution to this problem by adjusting my Troxel helmet to the area where it is more hollow than the other area in the helmet. I'd rather live with this than go by without hearing aids; otherwise, I'd get huge throbbing headaches.
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

Quote Originally Posted by Just My Style View Post
    The only time I have seen my father go without his hearing aids was when we took my son to Chuck E Cheese. It was so loud with screaming obnoxious kids that he popped his hearing aids out and said "much better". Very convenient.
    Too funny!

I would switch it down if I find it unbearable as well. Mine is digital as well and yes- it does hurt when so many noises... Got to protect whatever hearing I have left

I never had an issue with feedback... must be the shape of the person's ears, helmet, etc.

Strange seeing a few posters that are hearing imparied/deaf on here! I always felt like I was the only one!

Not everyone with hearing loss can use just any type of hearing aids (there are different types and causes of hearing loss). I know with me, I can't wear the inner-ear types (which I always wanted, since they were less obvious) because it just wouldn't work with my hearing (I was born without a certain bone in the ear canal). So I get the behind-the-ear type. But there are different sizes of the behind-the-ear type, and of course I love the smaller, less obvious ones.

I don't really have a problem with helmets, except when the moulds are getting small and poor-fitting (you're supposed to replace them on a regular basis, as the chemicals and heat in your ear will shrink them over time). Then they'll squeal like nobody's business, especially when I turn my head (and don't get me started on the winter cold: that shrinks or stiffens the moulds and tubes and they'll squeal nonstop regardless of how I fidget with them, until I go back to warmer air and they expand again. This goes for riding and regular everyday life. Talk about irritating). My having long, thick hair doesn't help either. When I get new moulds that fit nice and snug, the squealing stops.
    Some people are like slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.