The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jingles Needed - THANKS for Jingles, MUCH BETTER!!

One of my boarders horses is very sick. He wasn't acting quite right in her lessons Sunday, being uncooperative and not paying attention. She was very frustrated. THen he didn't finsh up hay Sunday night. By Monday he had a temp of 103.1. Called vet and she came out checked him over and pulled blood. Said it sounded like a respiratory virus. Blood panel showed no sign of infection but WBC down from 5000 normal to 2000, so a virus that was hitting him hard. With him being 19 years old, this is concerning to me. She basically has had me monitoring temp twice daily an administering Banamine to control temp, it does bring it down, but goes back up after 12 - 14 hours. last night was 105.1. So today she came back out, listening to lungs said still some respiratory sounds but doesn't think any pneumonia deveolping, pulled blood and going to do a full blood panel. Other than depression, high temp, eating very little and some respiratory discomfort (but no coughing, snotty nose etc) there are not really any symptoms. She is still thinking a strain of flu or rhino that Vaccinations haven't covered but who knows for sure. We will know what the blood panel says in the AM. Not looking for advice as we seemed to have cought this immediately and vet has been on top of it but just want jingles for the old boy, he really feels miserable!!
    Last edited by shawneeAcres; Nov. 19, 2008 at 11:18 AM.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Jingles from another Old Guy Owner (my boy is 26)
    I hope your guy starts feeling better ASAP - it sucks going into Winter feeling less than 100%
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Sending jingles from PA for a speedy recovery.

(and happy birthday wishes to you)
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

Jingles from New York. Hope he's feeling a lot better soon. I always give Banamine twice a day with a fever to keep it down. Make sure he's drinking enough too.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Did the vet feel the illness be tick related and in need of some doxycycline?
    Lots of jingles.

Due to the fact his white blood cell count is low, not high, antibiotics of any kind are not indicated. We have had no ticks here at all this year. He seemed slightly more alert tonight, did eat (slowly) some of his feed and was nibbling at hay, was 102.2 tonight. He is drinking well, been keeping an eye on that and making sure he stays hydrated. Unless his bloodwork tomorrow shows an infections tarting up we do not want to give antibiotics, as they will not affect a virus and could kill off good bacteria in his gut. That could be a recipe for disaster as he is not eating normally anyway and the last thing we want is for him to colic.

Quote Originally Posted by shawneeAcres View Post
    Due to the fact his white blood cell count is low, not high, antibiotics of any kind are not indicated.
    Not true. Leukopenia (low WBC) can be a strong indicator of PHF, along with high fever and anorexia. Sometimes those are the only symptoms. They don't all get diarrhea.

http://www.horsesdaily.com/news/more...08-12-phf.html

Commonly recognized PHF symptoms include diarrhea, depression, colic, anorexia, dehydration, and signs suggestive of laminitis or founder. However, the cases at Hagyard-Davidson-McGee have not exhibited the characteristic diarrhea. The horses had low white blood cell (WBC) counts, a little heat in their feet, and were depressed.

Jingles!!!

I know we gave IV Baytril to one that had a very low white count. He was chronic feeling bad though, not acute onset...so ymmv
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Oh, and JINGLES!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Jingles!

Shawnee- How's Montana? Do you still have him?
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Jingles from FL!

more jingles from florida
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Jingles from WA.
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Third set of jingles from Florida. Hope he gets better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    Not true. Leukopenia (low WBC) can be a strong indicator of PHF, along with high fever and anorexia. Sometimes those are the only symptoms. They don't all get diarrhea.

http://www.horsesdaily.com/news/more...08-12-phf.html

Commonly recognized PHF symptoms include diarrhea, depression, colic, anorexia, dehydration, and signs suggestive of laminitis or founder. However, the cases at Hagyard-Davidson-McGee have not exhibited the characteristic diarrhea. The horses had low white blood cell (WBC) counts, a little heat in their feet, and were depressed.
    He is not showing any signs of laminitis, PHF is not something I have ever seen around here. I am sure my vet is on top of things, she is pretty good.

Jingles from Alabama. Hope you figure out what is going on and can effectively treat it.
    PennyG

Should have the results of the blood panel back soon (today) Vet had them check EVERYTHING so we can be on top of this. Discussed possibility of PHF but she feels that is not the cause, although the bloodwork should give us a better idea. We had an awful night here last night as we had tornados all around us, I actually heard one at 4:00 am this morning! Pretty scary!

Still jingling in FL.

I just saw some news about those storms --it was dwarfed by the coverage of the CA fires, but it looked scary. Glad you didn't take a direct hit.

Keep us posted on the BW...

Quote Originally Posted by shawneeAcres View Post
    He is not showing any signs of laminitis, PHF is not something I have ever seen around here. I am sure my vet is on top of things, she is pretty good.
    I'm not sure where you are located, but my horse just got through having what they think was PHF and I am in Michigan. They thought we wouldn't have anymore cases since we had a freeze, but no dice! Also, my horse never had diarrhea, and hasn't yet shown signs of laminitis(knock on wood)...although they did cold pack his feet for a few days when he was at MSU. His signs were high fever (up to 104), anorexia AND stopped drinking water, depression, colicy AND toxemia (his gums got brick red). Plus, he had an elevated heart rate (at one point was up to 74). AND, his WBC was low when he was checked the first day that the vet came out.

He has now pretty much recovered, except we are still waiting for his blood protein to come up. He had to have a plasma transfusion as his blood protein had gotten down to 2.3. He was released from the hospital on Halloween with a blood protein level of 3.0, and it has since increased to 4.4. So, it is steadily climbing, but not at 6.0 where it needs to be.

Anyway, I hope your boarder's horse doesn't have PHF, but it sounds like a possibility and I wouldn't rule it out. But, don't wait for the test results to come back on that, as they can really start going downhill fast. It really puts them and you through the ringer!! Jingles that all is okay and he gets through this!!