The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question So. Who is Re-Considering: Recognized Showing?

In light of the economy, increased boarding costs, proposed qualification rules, and now the increased membership fees who is reconsidering doing recognized shows/joining USEF/USDF/USEA/GMO????

What are your plans?

Like most everyone I am watching my $$$ and have to prioritize and cut where possible.

So, for me this year:

-No memberships.

-No recognized shows.

-Fewer un-recognized shows.

-Plan to volunteer and help out at the local un-recognized events.

-Plan to keep up with lessons.

-Plan to cut clinics (and only audit if a "Too Good To Miss" one comes along)

-No cuts on horsie supplements/boarding/farrier/vet care.

-Pray horsie stays healthy.

-Might be seriously looking into competitive trail riding...

I'm going to be sticking to the local schooling shows. I used to be big into recognized events when I was young (when mom and dad were footing the bill). I have a ton of fun at the schooling shows, know just about everyone that goes. The judging is okay, but at least my horse gets to go out somewhere new and hopefully behave himself.

I've already cut back. I did 6 shows this Fall, of one sort or another, none of them USEF recognized.

As a lower level rider in a rural area (where recognized always means overnight) recognized shows have never had an allure for me. If and when my horse and I are solid at 2nd or 3rd level, I'll consider it for the experience, but all the money and stress to be among the myriad of training/1st riders? That just doesn't sound like FUN. And when I can ride under the same judges, get the same comments, and have more fun at an unrecognized show for literally about 1/15th the expense. It's a no brainer.

I've always figured clinics are a better investment than recognized shows...

I'm planning on doing the whole shebang next year. It will be the first time I will show my four year old, so I want to get the whole experience. I will be cutting back on other things to afford it all...maybe food. Better for the fit of my breeches.

But yeah, it's going to pinch.

I'm trying to get my bronze out of the way. Otherwise I would just do schooling until third.
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

I am with Tempichange on this one. I too am going to get my bronze out of the way this year and get it on the books to keep my options open.

Wink

I board at a central facility that offers 5 recognized shows for 09. I am planning on taking advantage of most of those and add maybe a few to make it a 'small' but decent show year. Of course- it is really hard to predict the actual effects of the economic downturn and what our new administration will do and accomplish in the first 30 minutes of being in power. It will be that kind of year...I am beginning to think....!
    "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

Im really doing a tight budget this year on shows, lessons, etc.
    I am planning, which is always subject to change, to do 3 shows this spring and am all ready budgeting for them.
    I wanted to do the David Blake clinic with Dreamstreet, but I dont think I can. My youngest starts private school this next year too and we have to save for that "little" cost! This economy really sucks and we took a huge hit in our portfolio, so who the hell knows what I can or cant do. Im just kinda "on hold"
    Ive got most of the horses up for sale now and am very nego on the young ones to move them. Im just in a rut with the whole US economics. To the point Im even thinking of going back to work for a while, which I did not want to do until both kids were in school.
    Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    (ok done ranting)
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

I board at a central facility that offers 5 recognized shows for 09
    Lucky beoyach.....
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

I've cut back quite a bit on showing although it's not so much about the economy (ok, maybe a little bit, I did turn down going to a breed show a couple weeks ago) as it is that I'm just not interested in showing lower levels anymore. My youngsters can get experience riding in the trailer by going to my friends' boarding facilities or schooling at local h/j shows where we can hang out for a day or two. I'm not really interested in being highpoint Training/1st level rider of the day. In fact, I really don't care much about it until things get more interesting at 4th, and since I don't have anything at that stage right now I'm staying home. Personally, I've never really seen the point of schooling shows, though. If you are going to go through ALL that trouble to get dressed and go, make it the biggest bang for your buck and go to the recognized shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    Personally, I've never really seen the point of schooling shows, though. If you are going to go through ALL that trouble to get dressed and go, make it the biggest bang for your buck and go to the recognized shows.
    Then there is the other end - if I am just going to get the judges opinion, as in a schooling situation, why would I pay more for the same judge?

Besides - pennies must be counted and horded. Only so mush in the budget for shows.

I only show at recognized shows and not waste my money on schooling shows. I also don't go to so many shows to chase points. I only show to qualify for scores so that means I only show when it is very showable -- aiming for scores in the 60's.
    So for 2009, as I did in 2008, a couple of shows in the spring and none again until the fall, a couple more and finish with regionals.
    For me showing interferes with training.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I had wanted to schooling show this year, with a goal of aiming for SHN's in '09.

Gas prices and the economy tanked the first half of the season, an injury put me out for the duration. Not a single show this year, when the original goal was to show a couple at 2nd and debut at 3rd 1 this fall as the last effort of the year.

There's still a tiny part of me that wants to try for SHN's... but realistically, with NO mileage this season, there's not enough time to qualify next. And the cost is entirely unrealistic for me too. I'm not sure I can work *that much* OT, there are only so many days in the week.

The vicious cycle of it all, is I work OT to afford horsey things--but then don't have the time or energy to ride thanks to 12hr workdays or 7-day-work-weeks.

Had a long discussion with teacher about it, and at this point, it doesn't make much sense to waste money on showing until we are comfortably doing 3rd/4th on the way to PSG. The obedience and suppleness for those levels are what it will take for us to go to a new environment and perform well. Not just adequately (as we do now) but WELL. I guess if money and distance weren't an issue, we could get mileage... but the alternative is training.

So probably goals for next year are to keep on keeping on, and debut schooling shows in the fall at 3rd. We'll see if Life plays along with that or not.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I really enjoy recognized showing, getting all spiffed up and going to the 'big' show. Always have and it has been an important part of my horse hobby to do those shows. It has been dissappointing this year to have to say no to myself when a recognized show entry is due and the reason is because it will cut too far into my discretionary income that month due to some increase in a service I needed for my small farm or horses. It's just my income that keeps this little place spinning.

So next year it will be same as this year but by plan rather then by discovery....

Keep up with weekly lessons and training with my 2 horses
    Solidify second level on Cody
    Develop to first level with Keen
    1 GMO membership instead of 2
    No magazine subscriptions
    USDF and USEF membership - yes
    a couple schooling shows in july/august to check our progress
    Do the Sept & Oct Bucks Cty Horsepark recog shows...cheapest entry around
    Do Nj horse park Labor day weekend..one of my favs
    Do Nj horse Park in Octber..another of my favs

I won't be worrying about qualifying scores anymore..BLM, Gaig or USDF awards...if it happens it does. But the extra fees to go to BLM & Gaig and enter those classes are now out of my budget.
    *Every horse is a self-portrait of the rider....Autograph your work with excellence.*
    Supporting Nokotas www.nokotahorse.org
    Lipizzan's rock! http://rigitta.blogspot.com/

Default It's not so much I'm reconsidering

recognized showing. More that I'm reconsidering the fantasy of going to a recognized show. My horse is now up there in years, and I'm not comfortable just yet with taking on a second board bill. I don't see a reason to spend big money doing First Level recognized (been there) and I don't think it's fair to her to push to compete Second Level on her. So I just noodle around, and may go for a few schooling shows.

So I'm seriously thinking I'll drop my USEF membership. I've always only been a group member of USDF and I'll probably maintain my GMO membership so I can stay in the loop for volunteer and clinic opportunities.

I just don't have the bottomless pocket it seems to take these days to try to compete for even our GMO awards. And, though it can be fun to do that, it's not why I own a horse.
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    Then there is the other end - if I am just going to get the judges opinion, as in a schooling situation, why would I pay more for the same judge?

Besides - pennies must be counted and horded. Only so mush in the budget for shows.

I get the penny pinching, same here, but when I do spend the $$ I want it to count for something. Maybe it's different where you are, but where I live the judges are not the same quality/experience at a schooling show versus a recognized show. For example, we have (mostly) Learner judges that judge at our schooling shows, if I want to know what she thinks of my horse I don't have to pay anything. I'll just ask her the next time we ride together. You are just not going to get a "R" judge to do a schooling show and frankly, I'm not interested in paying just anyone for an opinion. If I suck, I want to really know that I suck!

Even before I wrecked myself, I was already planning to drop my USDF and USEF memberships if the qualifying rule is passed in Jan 09. I have not done recognized / licensed showing in years and have kept the memberships out of force of habit.

Now that I will not be riding for awhile, I think that maintaining those memberships makes no sense. I'll support my local GMO and take lessons, but that will be it. I find that I have become very disenchanted with the attititudes of EF and DF ..... I no longer feel welcomed as an adult amatuer. Now that they have raised fees, well, I can read the message .....

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

jmurray,

I'll give you my magazines after I read them so you wont miss anything. Also, it doesn't cost extra to qualify for BLM (which is at NJ horse park next year) so, go out there and knock 'em dead, and leave open the possibility.

Aw-w-w-w.... thanks Papony!
    *Every horse is a self-portrait of the rider....Autograph your work with excellence.*
    Supporting Nokotas www.nokotahorse.org
    Lipizzan's rock! http://rigitta.blogspot.com/