The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Would like opinions-Pics included

Hi all,
    Now that my situation has changed I am looking at buying a young prospect. I just sold my other young horse to a great gal. I am looking for a horse that hopefully has the potential to go Prelim. I may never get to Prelim but I like to know it could be possible. I have posted other horses on this board and have gotten great and very helpful opinions so here it goes. I am looking at these two horses next week. They are both 5 and are Mr Prospector grandbabies. The bay is about 16 hands the liver chesnut is about 16'3. They are both sound off the track so I am told. These are not the best pics but I just want an idea. I am partial to one but I want to hear some opinions first. They are a great price and are really close to me. Let me know.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...n444/Daryl.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...rcreekpony.jpg

I'm no expert but to me I like the first one. He is built pretty nice to me but I'm not expert I will say again.

The second one, while I like his neck a little better he seems to have a longer back and maybe behind in the knee and his front legs seem to be to far under him. JMHO. Good luck let us know if you get one.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

love the bay, he looks like he could really launch!!!!
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

I like the bay but check under those polo wraps! Evenly built, neither up hill or down hill, looks like good bone. Kinda don't like the boogly eyes though. He is tied low in the neck so he will gallop more down hill. And the hocks are a little high so it would be harder for him to get under himself.
    The chesnut is down hill. funky muscling on the forearms. A little ewe necked and looks like the poll is inflexible. Like the eye better though.
    This is just from one picture and they could look and move differently.
    Good luck!

I will definitely check under wraps. I do agree with the eyes the chesnuts is much nicer. It will be interesting to see them without tack.

I forgot I had this head shot of the bay...

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Darylface.jpg

The bay looks like a hunter, not an event horse...he is also tied in at the knee, and looks to be hiding a bowed tendon under that polo wrap. He IS "cute" but a bow is a bow, if that is what's under the wrap, and is he IS "tied in" he's got a weak link at the place you need him to be strong.
    I like the chestnut's angles more, and he looks to be better legged...see them both with no wraps and no tack, see them move around freely, and have the one you like best vetted.

The eye on the bay combined with the short thick neck would make me pass. He's too long from croup to tail head for me. Does the chestnut have alot of jewelry on his hind pasterns/fetlocks? What is under those wraps? I much prefer the chestnut's expression and sometimes that is your best indicator at this age and station. Good luck.

I am partial to the chesnut, I love his head and eye. I am very interested in seeing what is under the wraps though. I am bringing my video camera and digital so that should help. I was worried I liked the chesnut more because he reminds me of my wonderful old retired eventer. I do agree with Mach Two because the more I look at the picture of the bay it screams hunter more and more...It will be great to see them in person....The input is great thank you..

If those were your two choices, I'd go for the chestnut. As soon as I saw him, I loved his impression and expression. I really really don't like the look in the bay's eye -- in either photo. Personally, I hate riding shifty horses, I want them to be honest and a friend/partner -- the bay looks untrusting and shifty. That said the chestnut looks like he might be dissapointing without tack/bandages. And the right rear ankle looks funny too. But I"m keeping my fingers crossed for you!

so, there is my total subjective opinion...
    let us know which one you get... I love living vicariously like this!

I really like chestnut, but I'm partial to chestnuts!
    His hind end looks a little odd to me... but I'm no confo expert by any means! Maybe it's just the pic, or maybe I'm seeing something that's not really there- but his hind legs look too small for the hind end. I still like him better than the bay though. He has a hard looking eye and looks like he would be one who could be a jack a$$ at times...
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Talking i theflesh!"

take the wraps off plus the saddles! At this point I'm not real thrilled with the back end on either of them , but, without the saddles they may look different hoew often and how far have they run?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

This is something that should probably never make or break a sale, but....

Does anybody else besides me want to pass on a horse with devil horns ears like the bay has? Every horse with those hooked ears I've ever known has been a bad egg.... maybe it's just my luck, but I've had other people tell me the same! I know one particular stud with ears like that who was just born bad (and I never say that about any horse.... I think this one really just hit the ground evil!) and all his offspring have those devil ears too, and they come out biting and kicking, and are in general the most untrainable horses I've ever seen.

Anybody else feel like there might be something to the ear hoodoo?

I like the bay's shoulder and hind end better than the chestnut's. The chestnut is also quite post legged. The bay looks like it has tiny hooves. Can't evaluate the front legs due to the wraps, which could be very important as the bay looks like it might be a bit over at the knees, and there could possible be a bow, but it also might just be a poor wrapping job. The Chestnut stands with his front legs too under himself. Agreeing with the other, the neck on the bay is short and thick, and both have thick throat latches, which will make it difficult for them to flex from the poll. The bay's neck is tied in low as others have said, which will definitely put him on his forehand a bit (my horse has this problem and is just now figuring out how to carry his front end). Finally, I don't mind the eye on the bay (although I am not thrilled with it), but his head is small compared to his body and his forehead bulges. The forehead bulging is always a sign of obstinance to me and the small head may mean there isn't much room for a big brain.

Personally, I wouldn't go with either of them, the market is so flooded with propects right now that there isn't any reason you couldn't find a prospect with close to perfect conformation for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritazza View Post
    This is something that should probably never make or break a sale, but....

Does anybody else besides me want to pass on a horse with devil horns ears like the bay has? Every horse with those hooked ears I've ever known has been a bad egg.... maybe it's just my luck, but I've had other people tell me the same! I know one particular stud with ears like that who was just born bad (and I never say that about any horse.... I think this one really just hit the ground evil!) and all his offspring have those devil ears too, and they come out biting and kicking, and are in general the most untrainable horses I've ever seen.

Anybody else feel like there might be something to the ear hoodoo?
    Nope... I had a horse with hooked ears and white Sclera on one eye (like this bay appears to have) and he was the nicest horse I ever owned. He certainly had his own opinions about some things, but that horse would have jumped the moon if I had asked.

It is so great to hear all this. The more I look at them the more I find. I want to go see them in person for the simple reason I want to see how they really look. I am more partial to the leaner type so we will see. I do wonder about the thicker necks and they both look like they would be tough to get soft and supple. I am planning on checking them out on Sunday so I will let you know...Unless of course I find the perfect horse between now and then...

either one I'm sure would be fine.

I like the chestnut's top line more.
    I like the bay's front legs more. That chestnut is a little behind at the knee for me. But that is me, I like my horses over at the knee.

I would say big and behind at the knee (with a slightly straight pastern?) is worse then the bay. But I'm not a fan of the bay's eye.

I think I would find some more to look at.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I don't like the hind end angles on the chestnut. But you need to see them in person to really get a sense.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

I agree with asterix. Don't like the hind end angles on the chestnut.

If everything under the wraps/tack checked out on the bay I'd go with him out of the two. The eye/expression doesn't bother me, but then he has a similar eye to one of my horses who has been one of th easiest horses to back/train/ride and just a pleasure to have around.

I like appy's so I'm used to the white. If the white wasn't there people would probably see his "expression" differently than they do now. I think he looks sweet.

Chestnut also looks like he's downhill. Cute face on him though... and my fav coat color - liver chestnut.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com