The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default USEA Area 2 Annual Meeting- in Pa this year - Kevin is coming!!!!

Yep that's right on November 22, we descend on Kennett Square Pa.
    Please go to www.usea2.net to get your registration form.
    You MUST sign up for the banquet in advance.
    At this time our speakers include
    Gretchen Butts talking about her experiences in Hong Kong and
    Kelley Williams talking about bringing along young horses. Kelley has been very sucessful with OTTB's and bringing them along. Here is your opportunity to pick her brain on how she does it! there will also be a rules forum where we discuss all the new upcoming changes. If you are concerned about new proposed changes, this is a good place to bring your questions and let your voice be heard.
    The awards banquet usually starts at about 6 pm. It's lots of fun. A great chance to get together with friends and catch up.
    Please keep checking the website for updates.
    Last edited by mellsmom; Nov. 14, 2008 at 04:14 PM.
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

I wish I could be there. No absentee options, huh? Someone will have to share what transpires after the fact.

Talking

You know there are a great many advantages to being at an Area Annual meeting and just about no downside I can think of!
    First of all you get a chance to sit and talk with friends about eventing without having to rush off and get ready for dressage or walk a course. You can eat slowly and sitting down. For the most part you don't have to get your feet wet or boil to death in the hot sun...the meetings are great fun...we also discuss rules and issues that need to be addressed....you get to hear firsthand the important skinny of changes and calendar stuff. No need to guess and try and find out later!

If you have a concern about eventing and want to be heard, the area meeting is the forum and your ideas are welcome. I have never been to one that I haven't learned quite a bit, and had fun doing it. The speakers and presentations are always very good. We have goodie bags for all participants. The silent auction of donated entries is worth going for ALONE as they go for great bargains! And the dinner celebrates the winners and horses of the year for the area and the point chairman always has really awesome awards to give out. It is fun to wear clean clothes for a change and talk horses in a warm room! (And don't forget the Adult Beverages, too!)

So please consider going. It is WELL WORTH the registration fee. I have never gone to a meeting that WAS more worth it, and as a former state horse council president I have been to my share of meetings ad naseum.....area II annual meeting beats them all!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Default Bumpity bump bump

So, This is a just a reminder for those of you who have not sent in your registration info...

SEND IT IN!

I am really excited that we'll be seeing some NEW FACES at the meeting this year. I love seeing my friends from the year before, but it's really neat to meet new people too.

Can't wait to see you all!

Wink

It has been brought to my attention that there has been an inquiry into proxy or absentee voting for the Annual Meeting. I will forward this inquiry on to Duncan (MacRae, Area Chair). And....results of the meeting should be posted online at the Area II website and should be available in the online version of the newsletter which will be published after the meeting! for those of you "out of town" and UNABLE to attend which of course includes OUR MILITARY EVENTERS on assignment overseas! Hoorah!!! AND... personally....anyone who cannot make it and has a darn good excuse (like tha ABOVE) I will give you a writeup, just email or PM me!!!! But you guys who live 30 minutes away and have a boo-boo on your pinky, sorry, no luck!

Default does anyone know about...

I'm happy it's finally close enough but then have I procrastinated too long? It says it needs to be received by tomorrow. I was trying to find time schedule. Is there an organizer meeting in the am? What time are the other things.

here is my 2 cents about the Area II Awards Banquets -

First - I have really enjoyed the ones I've been to
    2nd - I have enjoyed the seminars held during the day - and learned something

now for the bad

I think USEA should follow the hunter/jumper world and count points down to 8th place. Many of us work very very hard - for some of us that 8th place ribbon is a darn well earned ribbon and should be counted. If the events, as most of the ones I've been too, place down to 8th place - those points should count. In eventing you only have one opportunity to place - not 3 or 4 like you do in hunters and jumpers (meaning ribbons in each class of a division).

Finally, while I totally and wholeheartedly support the volunteering thing, in terms of getting people to an awards banquet I don't think mandatory volunteering (which really makes no sense - volunteer and mandatory?) is a good thing. The last time I checked the Area II point standings nearly everyone who signed up either didn't volunteer or their status was "pending". In my humble opinion it's a good way to wipe out the awards banquet. The few times I went, I couldn't believe there weren't more people there; I couldn't believe more people didn't sign up. Now I can only wonder how many people will continue to pursue year end awards -

please AREA II do not make it difficult for people to achieve a year end award - it's fun to get a trophy - keep it that way.

I see your points, Galway, I agree about down to eighth place. In fact I think ALL events ought to place to eighth and give points accordingly, too. I have ridden REALLY hard for fifth and sixth place sometimes. Agreed!
    I know about the volunteer thing - but honestly attendance probably wasn't affected by it, and it made things even harder on poor Colliemom who does all the point keeping and paperwork, and for that reason I think it is a hard thing. I did notice at least one professional who was "forced" to volunteer to keep the points the horse won, and that is a good thing.

Default The tentative schedule should be on the website.

Also, I am going up Friday afternoon and will be passing by Saddlery Liquidators at 4 pm or so if anyone wants to carpool!

The truth of the situation is that I really wanted to make it to Bit of Britain on the way to the meeting, but i just don't see it happening for me :-(

Audrey and I will be there Friday as well. I know everyone has worked reall really hard to make this meeting bigger and better and I hope that the support will come. As far as the awards go, I have had several people comment about the volunteering thing (especially ULR). Personally I believe that everyone needs to volunteer to fully appriciate how much goes into running an event and how much organizers etc.. do to make your comp. experience a fun and safe experience. Lets face it, if there were no volunteers there would be no events. But I know you guys know this. As far as the awards go, making volunteering manditory is maybe something that should be discussed. This was the first year that this was implimented and sometimes things work and sometimes they don't but I know for a fact that Colliemom has worked her butt off to make the program work.
    Gwen Dean
    Area II YR Coordinator
    Lost Hounds HT Secretary

I don't think requiring volunteering for one day is going to hurt the attendance at the awards banquet - it is usually very low to begin with. And I support the volunteer requirement. I'm a "pro", perhaps not ULR any more, but it's really not that hard. Perhaps people could be allowed to designate on their award application another person, such as spouse, child, or working student, who will fulfill the volunteer requirement on their behalf? That would still serve the purpose of promoting volunteerism. Just my 2 cents.

I'll be at the awards banquet presenting the Adult Rider "Smurfie" awards. This will be the third year for these awards, which I sponsor. VTO saddlery will be donating to the goodies this year, also - Thanks VTO!

Yvonne
    Yvonne Lucas
    Red Moon Farm
    redmoonfarm.com

"Practice doesn't make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect." - Jim Wofford

"Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant." - Jim Wofford

Thanks for all the kind words about how hard I work on the program! It is much appreciated. And it's true It is kind of a lot of work, because so far it's all manual still. We keep talking about getting points fed to us automatically from National, but haven't gotten it in place yet, and I'm not sure it will work because we award slightly differently in some cases.

I do also appreciate the comments about the volunteer requirement. Yes, this was the first time it was implemented, at the request of organizers, and the numbers were way down across the board with participants in the program, especially in the Junior/Young Rider divisions. I have only one division that will present ribbons to 8th, out of 24 divisions. I think that is really really sad, frankly. I had parents of young riders complain to me that "all the events that Suzie Q could volunteer at she wants to compete!" Well, we all have choices to make. If Suzie Q wants that nice ribbon and cooler and name engraved on a silver trophy, perhaps Suzie Q could give up one event (out of the many many many that the juniors compete at!) or contact the organizer and see what could be done ahead of time with set up and stuffing packets. The spirit of volunteering, and the recognition of just how difficult it is to put on events because of the lack of volunteering, is just not there in many cases.

That is the biggest reason that I would not be in favor of designating someone else to volunteer on your behalf, although that was asked by several parents -- because I think instilling the importance in the actual competitor, and getting the actual competitor to pay back is part of what is important.

I will print off these posts, though, and present these opinions at the Council Meeting, along with my statistics and personal input. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and if others have input, please feel free to provide, either here or privately! We want the program to meet the needs of the members -- both competitors AND organizers!

And remember, the Council meeting is open to members, so if you have an opinion or suggestion on how the Area could improve something, or just want to hear how things work, plan on attending and listening and participating!
    Post your XC reviews at www.crosscountryreview.com today!
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." ~ Mark Twain

For some of the Jr. Riders, aren't many involved in pony clubs? and are many of the pony clubs hosting many of these events, in that regard it should be that if the pony club members (kids) help set the course(s) that would count as their volunteering. Also many are over 2 days - it could be they might be able to volunteer on the day they are not riding. That said, it could also add more pressure to parents to get their kids shuttled from event to barn and so forth. In theory it is a great idea; Volunteering is an honorable thing to do and yes, volunteers for events are vital, but if it is made Mandatory it is not longer volunteerism is it? I don't have a horse currently competing but when I did, I paid X amount to be included in the point standings; another suggestion would be reduced fee w/ volunteer certificate or higher fee w/ no volunteer certificate? That way it's a happy medium for everyone but the poor soul who has to keep track of this stuff - my heart goes out to them

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

Colliemom, I just can't believe people complained about having to meet an 8 hour volunteer requirement. Especially when they or their children get to event because others do step up to the plate and give of their time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

Default It was just confirmed that

Kevin Baumgardner is going to be at the meeting. I am really excited. If you have not already sent in your reservations, Please call me by noon on Monday and I will add you to the list.

Hi Mellsmom - I think I just set you an email - I wanna go.

I'm gonna gofer a an Area II award next year! I looked at the points and I coulda had a last place in my division. Me 'n' Viggo had 3 points! We have 2 other last place year end awards and I'm still waiting to hear what our last place from ESDCTA will be for the year. So next year I'm really gonna go for it.

I like volunteer requirements as an organizer they do work to get people out. It's still volunteering, it's just an extra kick in the pants! They always have fun once they are there. Does Jersey fresh count?

Quote Originally Posted by canterlope View Post
    Colliemom, I just can't believe people complained about having to meet an 8 hour volunteer requirement. Especially when they or their children get to event because others do step up to the plate and give of their time.
    no kidding
    sorry- Susie Q can miss competing in 1 horse trail to volunteer- geesh
    please do not give up this requirement!!!
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

This volunteering requirement bothers me. Please hear me out.

I volunteered a LOT at horse trials throughout the mid to late 1990s into the early 2000s. I was called over & over again - I think some years I volunteered at almost every horse trial at Fair Hill, not to mention the two recognized trials held by the (then) Middletown Pony Club (of which my daughter was a member). I fence judged in the pouring rain as well as sunny days & scribed for dressage, also, as well as other duties such as scoring & scribing at stadium jumping & handling stadium warmup.

My daughter & I put on the schooling horse trials twice a year at Middletown PC grounds for several years (four, I think) also - doing that almost just with the labor of the two of us after the first year. We put on the Wed. night schoolings for several years as well. I arranged my work schedule around being available every Wed. afternoon & evening for 3 or 4 years. Some years we had lots of help, some years very little help. I advertised schoolings & sent out fliers out of my own pocket to raise money for MPC. I am well aware that not all of this "volunteering" is USEA volunteering but it benefited hundreds of USEA members from this area - many who post on this board have seen me & know me by appearance if not by name.

Then an odd thing happened. Middletown PC broke up into St. Augustine Pony Club & Bohemia River Pony Club. It wasn't pretty - not an amicable divorce at all. Some individuals were charged with crimes & ended up convicted of such in court. I will admit that it still stings that money that Ali & I raised with our hard work did NOT go to Bohemia River PC. But the strangest thing was ... my phone quit ringing! Plainly I was the wrong kind of person & no longer welcomed as a volunteer. (By the way, I was NOT one arrested & convicted of crimes.) When I read on this board that volunteers are needed at Fair Hill, I shrug. It would be very hard for me to volunteer now, anyway. We have bought a farm, we are building a business, I almost can't imagine getting all the horse care done in time to get down to FH to volunteer.

Now, after all this, you are saying that if Ali & I wanted to attend the Annual Meeting, we have to have volunteered THIS YEAR? I think there are too many variables to enforce such a hard & fast rule; there are too many people who may have volunteered 100 hours a year for many years but haven't volunteered this year.

To finish my long complaint - I guess it doesn't really matter. I don't think Ali is even a USEA member this year as she is too busy working seven days a week in racing.

Exclamation No Volunteer Requirement to Attend Dinner!!

Quote Originally Posted by Evalee Hunter View Post
    Now, after all this, you are saying that if Ali & I wanted to attend the Annual Meeting, we have to have volunteered THIS YEAR? I think there are too many variables to enforce such a hard & fast rule; there are too many people who may have volunteered 100 hours a year for many years but haven't volunteered this year.

No no no no no!!!

The volunteer requirement is not for attending the annual meeting! Anyone can attend the annual meeting. I'm not sure there is even a membership requirement!! If you want to pay the registration fee, you can attend.

The volunteer requirement was to participate in the Year End Points and Awards program and get a prize. In order for your points to count toward year end awards, you were required to volunteer 8 hours at some kind of eventing related activity. While we preferred it be at an organized event, I did (because it ws the first year, especially) consider helping with "Intro to Eventing" clinics, and unrecognized events, and other activities. There was a direct correlation established between "you want to play, you need to help the sport a bit."

Please -- if you want to come to the annual meeting, don't feel you can't!

And THANK YOU for all your years of support and effort. While there may be bitter people who can't act like adults in situations like that, I'm sure there are plenty of others who acknlowledged and appreciated yours and your daughter's service.

Local organizations like that can end up being so poisoned and poisonous. There is an affiliate CTA that I will not associate with because of their attitude and how they treated newcomers to the sport who were willing to host events on their property, and even Three Days. Because of the way they were treated, they backed away, and the Area lost a potential first class venue before it even got started.
    Post your XC reviews at www.crosscountryreview.com today!
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by colliemom View Post
    No no no no no!!!

The volunteer requirement is not for attending the annual meeting! Anyone can attend the annual meeting. I'm not sure there is even a membership requirement!! If you want to pay the registration fee, you can attend. . . .
    Thank you for the clarification. We sure aren't up for any awards. I have never ridden in a horse trial & I don't think Ali has ridden in one (as far as I remember) for several years. But I will mention the meeting to her. I think she might be interested. She does have students who compete.