The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Horse Movies

What movies about horses have you seen over the years? I remember as a kid being facinated with "The Horse with the Flying Tail". It was the story of Hugh Wiley and Nautical.

Ah-h-h The wonders of Disney. How about Smokey and the The Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit (portions were filmed at Washington when it was at the armory).
    To Teach is to learn twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lessonlady View Post
    What movies about horses have you seen over the years? I remember as a kid being facinated with "The Horse with the Flying Tail". It was the story of Hugh Wiley and Nautical.

I saw that movie on TV a few years ago, late night at like 2 a.m. I loved it!

Phar Lap

A true but sad story.

i loved "phar lap"... and of course "the horse in the gray flannel suit"!!!

I loved "Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken" and "Misty"

I can watch The Black Stallion and The Black Stallion Returns over and over again. Same with Phar Lap and the 2 Man from Snowy River movies. On yucky days or when home sick my daughter and I put them on and do a movie marathon.
    Drop the drama and ride!

Well in no particular order these are some of the horse/horse related movies I gre up watching or have seen recently. Some are good, some are dated, some are painful/horrible:

Ladyhawke, The Black Stallion, The Black Stallion Returns, The Young Black Stallion, The Man From Snowy River, Return to Snowy River, National Velvet, International Velvet, Phar Lap, Misty, Danny, The Last Unicorn, Sylvester, Big Spender, Champions (about Aldaniti wining the Grand National), Black Beauty, The Silver Stallion, Justin Morgan Had a Horse, Hot to Trot, My Friend Flicka, Flicka, Something to Talk About, Silverado, Seabiscuit, Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken, Dreamer, The Horse Whisperer, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, Hidalgo, Into the West, King of the Wind, A Horse for Danny...

Quote Originally Posted by mikali View Post
    Well in no particular order these are some of the horse/horse related movies I gre up watching or have seen recently. Some are good, some are dated, some are painful/horrible:

Ladyhawke, The Black Stallion, The Black Stallion Returns, The Young Black Stallion, The Man From Snowy River, Return to Snowy River, National Velvet, International Velvet, Phar Lap, Misty, Danny, The Last Unicorn, Sylvester, Big Spender, Champions (about Aldaniti wining the Grand National), Black Beauty, The Silver Stallion, Justin Morgan Had a Horse, Hot to Trot, My Friend Flicka, Flicka, Something to Talk About, Silverado, Seabiscuit, Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken, Dreamer, The Horse Whisperer, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, Hidalgo, Into the West, King of the Wind, A Horse for Danny...
    This is the best list. Ever. I'm going to go rent movies.

I first watched Hot to Trot when I was about 10, and still remember this line, because I was a horrified 10 year old, when they were chatting over a hot grill:

Fred: "Do you want a hamburger?"
    Don: "No. Do you want a people burger?"

Ugh.

My two favorites were "The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit" and "Horsemasters". I rented them so many times when I was younger that my parents probably "bought" them several times over!!!!

I was OBSESSED with Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken when I was a kid!
    In loving memory of my precious Gwendolyn; you will always be with me, in my heart. I love you.

love love love Wild Hearts Can't be broken. Black Beauty, Flicka, Seabiscut, Racing Stripes (if that counts haha), Dreamer, National Velvet, International Velvet, what was the cartoon? like Rainbow pals or something...it was a series but the horses had like different colored manes? AH Rainbow Bright?
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Seabiscuit has to be one of my all time favorites!!
    Sylvester is a good one too. It's hard to watch Phar Lap - I still cry every time I watch it!!
    The Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit of course!!!
    There was one that Disney did with Sal Mineo in it - the horse was the only survivor at Custer's Last Stand. I think his name was Tonka?? Have not been able to find that movie. My daughter and I love Spirit too!!

Love The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit

My sister and I were obsessed with Danny! We would rent it EVERY time we went to Blockbuster. Does anyone know where I could find a copy? It would be a great Christmas present.

Quote Originally Posted by Lessonlady View Post
    Okay, can you please tell me where you saw this?!?!? I am somehow related to Hugh Wiley (I think he's my grandfather's cousin or something like that) and I would LOVE to see this. I wish I could have met him - talk about what cool stories! It was so cool to see all the old pictures of him when I visited USET headquarters this summer. I am dying to find this movie!

ETA: whaat- I have the movie Danny! My horse is a grey horse named Danny that I worked hard on, kind of like the girl in the movie. I was given a copy of the book as a thank you present by a little preschooler who came to ride him. Then my mom found the DVD as a present for Christmas last year. I still haven't seen it, because I'm sure it will make me cry! haha Here it is: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7017201

As far as my own, I was obsessed with the Mickey Rooney movie "Lightning the White Stallion" about a girl who goes blind in the middle of her championship round... how realistic. haha

i loved Two Bits and Pepper

Thanks hideyourheart03!!! It will be perfect!

My favorites are probably (in no specific order) The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit, Seabiscuit, and National Velvet. I especially love The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit because compared to others, there was quite a bit of riding footage.