The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default warmblood/arabian crosses

Just wondering what the COTH breeders experiences are with selling warmblood/arabian crosses.

Were the babies as nice as you hoped?

If breeding a warmblood stallion to an arabian mare, was the size of the foal an issue?

Thanks in advance.

We have bred both outside Arabian mares for clients and our own Arabian mares. The foals have been super nice and our clients have not had any trouble selling their offspring for decent money.

We have not yet tried to sell any that we have produced as we have gotten fillies that we really want to keep as broodmares. Our first was a black filly by Meisterwind (16 hands) out of a purebred mare (15 hands). That foal has matured into a "big" 16 hand mare. We kept this filly to breed to our stallion, Lion King and she produced the colt that tied for the higest score in NA on the RPSI tour this year.

We have been very happy with the crosses. We have two others, one by Meisterwind and one by Lion King and they are very nice as well. We are showing the Meisterwind filly to a prospective buyer this weekend but have decided that if this gal doesn't buy her, we will retain her for our program as well. The Lion King is only 2 so hasn't been offered for sale. She is quite tall and a very pretty mover. The dispositions have been very nice, cooperative and smart and the horses are pretty. We have not found the size to be an issue, but we aren't breeding for giants either.

I think the Arabian Warmblood cross is nice ... got one however mine is more Anglo than Warmblood ... she has quite alot of TB in her and Size can be an issue.

We have been breeding Arabian warmblood crosses for awhile now. I love the results! Our yearling gelding by IronMan out of a Polish bred Arabian mare is exceptional. He is for sale but I hope he stays here until under saddle because I just love him. I have not had much problem selling them and they have competed against other warmbloods (without Arab blood) and in many cases beat them. This year our Arabian/Warmblood cross by Art Deco was 3rd at DAD against all ages in an RPSI class. He got a very high score and the judge wrote in caps "NICE PROSPECT". He sold right after Devon.

It's important to pick the right mare/stallion combo so its like to like as much as possible. We have had most of ours that are now mature, end up around 16h, some a bit bigger.

I am breeding my first Arab/WB cross this year -- my mare is being bred to Dacaprio who should be a very nice cross with Stella. He's 16.2, and she's 14.3hh. She's also not a maiden mare, so I'm not to worried that there's any greater likelihood of complications than with a smaller stallion.

I also have a 2yo Arab/WB filly that's out of a polish Arab mare and by the Oldenburg stallion Amadeus. The mare is about 14.3hh, and stallion is 17hh. No problems with baby or mom at birth or any growth issues with baby. Azia is maturing nicely and should make a lovely sport horse finishing up right around 16hh.
    TheRedMare.com -- for equines with attitude.

my friend bred a very nice Am WB mare (1/4 perch, 3/4 TB) to an Arab stallion and got a very fugly horse.

she is eight now. not a pretty girl :-(

My trainer has bred two... full brothers. Mom is a small, dainty 14.2 Arab (without papers) and dad is a nice WB stallion (forget what his breeding is). Ended up with two, almost identically marked, boys. Matching blazes, one has stockings, one without. Both chestnut - copper penny color. Lovely boys. Both are very typical Arabs though. Much like mom before she matured (read: a bit OVERLY sensitive and a tad nuts ). They are like 10 and 8 now.

Both are very nice movers but not easy rides. Hot horses but yet very nice too. I wouldn't mind an Arab/WB cross. These boys have some substance too. About 16h but narrow!
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
    I am breeding my first Arab/WB cross this year -- my mare is being bred to Dacaprio who should be a very nice cross with Stella. He's 16.2, and she's 14.3hh. She's also not a maiden mare, so I'm not to worried that there's any greater likelihood of complications than with a smaller stallion.

I also have a 2yo Arab/WB filly that's out of a polish Arab mare and by the Oldenburg stallion Amadeus. The mare is about 14.3hh, and stallion is 17hh. No problems with baby or mom at birth or any growth issues with baby. Azia is maturing nicely and should make a lovely sport horse finishing up right around 16hh.
    Wow... very nice crosses! I especially like the Polish bred mare cross... we breed and raise Polish bred Arabians, I really like her a lot! Thank you for sharing the photos.

I was looking for information about the Arab/WB crosses and came upon a very interesting and enlightening website that offered some very "good points" about what the Arabian has to offer the Sport Horse World... I thought these points (along with others) were of great interest and were very, very true as a benefit for following this endeavor... I would like to share just a small part of what was said...

"I did a lot of research on the Arabian Horse Registry (AHA), and their young 'Sport Horse' division. I also did a lot of research on Half Arabians, and what the registry has to offer these horse owners.

The Arabian registry became very appealing with the fact that they had a division for my preferred riding sports (dressage, jumping and showing youngstock or breeding stock in hand for an inspection type judging process), yet had classes for other sports that may encourage total family participation.

On a business level, I liked the fact the Arabian registry also accepts half Arabians, and has just as many classes for them as they do their purebred siblings! The Arabian registry offers a full range of classes, from saddle seat to western, to sport horse to working western (reining) and also driving.

Though I don't want to follow trends or fads when breeding, it IS comforting on a business level to know there is a class for EVERYTHING. If I breed a mare to a stallion hoping for 'this type' of offspring, but the offspring falls short of those expectations (movement, general type or disposition) there is a riding discipline, and thus a career possibility, for that offspring you spent MONTHS in anticipation for."

Something of great importance to consider for sure when deciding about breeding the Arab/WB cross... AHA offers the 1/2 Arabian many great opportunities and the shows really are second to none.

Just wanted to share...
    Cindy
    Watching Hawk Arabians
    Home of ZEGAS
    *Ganges x Zabrynka
    http://www.watchinghawkarabians.com

Minuet8 Guest

I own a gorgeous mare out of an Arabian dam, by a Prix St. Georges Canadian Young Rider Team member Hanoverian, who was sired by Mattgold.

She has GORGEOUS movement, floaty, suspended, fluid. Judges love her. She has 5 championship titles, mixed national and provincial. She is a phenomenal dressage horse, and has the best attitude I've ever met in a horse. Great personality.

She is also quite the game and neat little jumper. We do eventing and dressage primarily, but she has also won in hunter and showjumping.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1657980203

Thanks Cindy. Azia's half-sister went Reserve Champion in-hand at SHN this year, and she's so bold and fearless I think she'd probably make a good eventer, even though I have dressage plans for her. Stella is my heart horse, so I'm looking forward to her bebe with a great deal of interest.

Minuet, your mare is beautiful!
    TheRedMare.com -- for equines with attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by webmistress32 View Post
    my friend bred a very nice Am WB mare (1/4 perch, 3/4 TB) to an Arab stallion and got a very fugly horse.

she is eight now. not a pretty girl :-(
    Not a warmblood cross anyway, and really not a surprise. You would be hard pressed to find two different types of horses than a Percheron and Arab - really not a surprise it didn't work out. As with any cross, you get out what you get in - you have to use high quality parents on BOTH sides of the pedigree...

Quote Originally Posted by Dazednconfused View Post
    Not a warmblood cross anyway, and really not a surprise. You would be hard pressed to find two different types of horses than a Percheron and Arab - really not a surprise it didn't work out. As with any cross, you get out what you get in - you have to use high quality parents on BOTH sides of the pedigree...

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Quote Originally Posted by gailbyrd View Post
    Just wondering what the COTH breeders experiences are with selling warmblood/arabian crosses.

Were the babies as nice as you hoped?

If breeding a warmblood stallion to an arabian mare, was the size of the foal an issue?

Thanks in advance.
    I breed Anglo Arabians (TB and Arabian mixes).

Most of the foals are better than I expect, with size, movement, and trainability. I think only one foal in 14 years will be under 16H, and that one is out of a maiden Arabian mare. I have better luck with size if the sire, instead of the dam, is the Arabian, and even better luck if the sire is an Anglo Arabian (a purebred Arabian parent is not required). My other Anglos are 16.1H-17.1H.

The biggest size difference between sire and dam was when I bred a 14.3H Anglo mare to a 17.2H TB stallion. The foal was born a week early, but no issues. He is now 16.3H.

Here are a few:

Anglo gelding, age 4 at 16.2H
    Anglo mare, dam of first picture, 16.1H
    Anglo gelding, 17H (I bought the pic, just haven't scanned it yet)
    Anglo stallion, 16.1H
    Anglo yearling filly, 15.3H in photo (currently 16.1H at 20 months)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	allthatglitters_06.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	23027   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	almostcrimson_10.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	23028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beythoven CN RC Canter framed.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	23029   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobalt US framed.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	23030   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tiny1 text.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	23031  

The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

That gelding (middle photo) is gorgeous! What's his breeding?

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

A few more:

Another of the yearling Anglo filly
    Anglo gelding, 16.3H
    Anglo stallion, now a gelding, 16.3H (two pics)

Name:	TradeWindz6Jul08 047 framed text sm.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	23032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vinnie2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	23033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yukon5Apr08dSmall framed small.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	23034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yukon5Apr08hSmaller[1] framed.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	23035  
    The Inverted Y
    www.allanglos.net

www.SHNpayback.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    That gelding (middle photo) is gorgeous! What's his breeding?
    Thanks! The mare on his left has the same sire. The stallion on his right is a full brother. The yearling at the right end has the same dam

He name is Beythoven. His sire is the Arabian, Bey Oro (deceased) and his dam is Run Really Run, a thoroughbred that is approved Selle Francais. She is double Hoist The Flag breeding. (Pedigrees are on my website).

Here are a few more of him (again, I have paid for the proofs).
    The third photo is his sire. 16H.
    The last photo is his dam. 16.2H.

Name:	Beythoven CN head Big_DSC3888 crop.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	23036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beythoven CN Win Jump Big_DSC3594b lo res.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	23037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bey Oro.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	23038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HeidiOct06aSmall lo res.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	23039  
    The Inverted Y
    www.allanglos.net

www.SHNpayback.org

Arab/Wb crosses are hot hot hot on the Arab market right now with the whole Arab Sports Horse taking off like a rocket.

At AHA shows I have seen some incredible crosses and I would certainly breed and/or buy one of these
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by JackSprats Mom View Post
    Arab/Wb crosses are hot hot hot on the Arab market right now with the whole Arab Sports Horse taking off like a rocket.

At AHA shows I have seen some incredible crosses and I would certainly breed and/or buy one of these
    yes, yes they are! And for good reason IMO. A good friend of mine has been breeding Arab/Trakehners for many years, and she has NO trouble selling them at all. Her foals are spectacular and can compete just as well in open dressage shows as they do at the arab shows. I quite like a great many of the arab/warmblood crosses I've seen. I'm trying like heck to talk my inlaws into breeding one of their CMK arab mares to my stallion, it would make one GREAT cross!

I have a Holst/S.F. mare that I bred to ShowgunPGN last year. I now have a well put together weanling colt that I am excited about. The breeding to Showgun refined the foal but he will have some height. So I bred the mare back to Showgun PGN. Then I will retire the mare from breeding since she has Cushing's and no telling how fast or slow the Cushing's will progress.
    Maybe in the future I can find another wonderful WB mare as this one to continue breeding half -arab sporthorses.

gailbyrd is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks for all your imput.

So do you like the sire to be the Arabian or the mare to be the Arabian?

Those who have bred both, do you get a generally get bigger foal out of the warmblood mare, in other words, does the final height tend to be 16+ hands if the mare is a warmblood?