The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,174

    Default Blanket leg straps for blankets with no rings for the straps.. clamps?

    I saw somewhere a few weeks ago a place selling leg straps for blankets or coolers that don't come with the rings for leg straps to attach to. I think the design was basically little clamps on each end of the strap, so you could add them to just about any blanket or sheet. Now I want to buy a pair, and can't for the LIFE of me find them again!

    Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Know what site they were on?! Help!!!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 6, 2006
    Location
    Plainview, MN
    Posts
    3,528

    Default

    When the leg strap rings come off a blanket or i get one that doesn't have them I just put hog rings on to clip the leg straps to.

    Hog rings in case you don't know what they are http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...2-00b0d0204ae5 and you can either get a special hog ringer pliers or use a regular one. Most farm & fleet stores will have them.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    When the leg strap rings come off a blanket or i get one that doesn't have them I just put hog rings on to clip the leg straps to.

    Hog rings in case you don't know what they are http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...2-00b0d0204ae5 and you can either get a special hog ringer pliers or use a regular one. Most farm & fleet stores will have them.
    Do you punch them through the fabric of the sheet then, or? Not quite understanding how you set it up.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov. 9, 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    15,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I saw somewhere a few weeks ago a place selling leg straps for blankets or coolers that don't come with the rings for leg straps to attach to. I think the design was basically little clamps on each end of the strap, so you could add them to just about any blanket or sheet. Now I want to buy a pair, and can't for the LIFE of me find them again!

    Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Know what site they were on?! Help!!!
    depends on what type of blanket your talking about if they have tabs or clamps as you say at the butt end of the ug
    you buy a fillet string or plaite baling twine and attach from one tab to the other behind the rug and then the tail sits over the top you you do it loose enough for movment but tight enough so wind etc doesnt blow the rug up and over the backside of the horse

    fillet strings cot pennies to buy and all tack shops sell them

    if the rug doesnt have leg legs straps its not meant to have them as most coollers
    swettrugs and summer sheets dont have them
    having a front and belly straps which are on the rug and made to x over underneath the horse obviously using the adjusting clip for length as again you want it at a lenght so horse doesnt get cuaght up in the straps if it rolls or lays down etc
    with a n added fillet string is enough to leep the rug in place



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    depends on what type of blanket your talking about if they have tabs or clamps as you say at the butt end of the ug
    you buy a fillet string or plaite baling twine and attach from one tab to the other behind the rug and then the tail sits over the top you you do it loose enough for movment but tight enough so wind etc doesnt blow the rug up and over the backside of the horse

    fillet strings cot pennies to buy and all tack shops sell them

    if the rug doesnt have leg legs straps its not meant to have them as most coollers
    swettrugs and summer sheets dont have them
    having a front and belly straps which are on the rug and made to x over underneath the horse obviously using the adjusting clip for length as again you want it at a lenght so horse doesnt get cuaght up in the straps if it rolls or lays down etc
    with a n added fillet string is enough to leep the rug in place
    How would I attach a fillet string, though? It has no rings or attachments for that, either. It's a turnout sheet, but with closed front and cross belly surcingles, no fillet string or hind leg straps.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun. 9, 2005
    Location
    Unionville, PA
    Posts
    3,414

    Default

    Well, if you find them let me know, the tail strap on my horse's Amigo is a toxic waste site (don't know why, my other horse keeps his pristine.)



  7. #7
    Join Date
    May. 3, 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Why not just have your local blanket repair person add leg strap 'D'-rings to the blanket....Fast and easy fix.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar. 1, 2007
    Posts
    1,942

    Default

    If it has crossed surcingles, why does it need leg straps?

    If you really want them, though, maybe you could use tarp clips in place of D rings.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Apparently you can’t set the bar too low for people to crawl underneath.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by criss View Post
    If it has crossed surcingles, why does it need leg straps?

    If you really want them, though, maybe you could use tarp clips in place of D rings.
    Because when ya live in central IL, and the barn is surrounded by cornfields with no windbreaks.. the second your horse turns their butt to the wind, the blanket flips inside out and nearly right on over their heads! Yeah.. true story.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2006
    Location
    Larkspur, Colo.
    Posts
    4,827

    Default

    I have a set of these. Is this what you're looking for?

    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...cd2=1226683858



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov. 23, 2006
    Location
    Port Perry Ontario - formerly Prodomus
    Posts
    2,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
    Why not just have your local blanket repair person add leg strap 'D'-rings to the blanket....Fast and easy fix.
    or you could just get some needle and thread and sew them on yourself. You should be able to buy them at local tack shops.

    Lucky me - my mom enjoys fixing horse blankets - good thing - we have ten horses and they rip their blankets a lot.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    I have a set of these. Is this what you're looking for?

    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...cd2=1226683858
    Yes! I'm pretty sure those are it! I KNEW somebody on COTH would know what my really vague description was referring to!

    Since you also own them, what do you think of them? Are they really only temporary, or could I use a pair 'full time' on a sheet?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2006
    Location
    Larkspur, Colo.
    Posts
    4,827

    Default

    I think you could use them full time on your sheet, and they're very handy to have around. The clamps have little teeth and are very sturdy. The straps themselves are about 2.5 inches wide, much wider than a standard elastic blanket strap. I've used them as leg straps for a fleece liner and they work fine.

    They're good for fastening coolers and holding horse clothing together when it tears, which happens a lot around here.

    Of course, baling twine is always a viable option in a pinch.



Similar Threads

  1. Favorite leg straps for blankets?
    By Mali in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan. 13, 2011, 09:27 AM
  2. Replacement Blanket Straps
    By GallopGal in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Dec. 12, 2010, 09:41 PM
  3. Terret rings on hip straps...
    By Yip in forum Driving
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jan. 7, 2010, 08:41 PM
  4. do u sew on leg straps for rambo/amigo blankets
    By uniongrove in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: Oct. 19, 2009, 01:50 PM
  5. Replies: 23
    Last Post: Dec. 1, 2008, 07:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •