The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down What should one think of this e-mail

I received the following e-mail. I was, to say the least, less than impressed. What do you other sellers think?? Would some professional trainer bless this behavior?? I have never heard of or met this person or her trainer in my life. Am I missing something here??

Maybe all of these government bailouts are catching???

BTW the horse in question is a fairly extravagant, sound, 17.2 hand, second level, schooling 3rd / 4th, comfortable, easy, talented, YOUNG MARE. She is not cheap either (at this point I am pretty sure is sold to an incredible rider who will take her GP. She has already competed there and is well qualified to bring one along)!

This person could not even get a reading comprehension score. The horse is NOT even a He as this person states. What in this was supposed to make me think she would work hard enough to get a score in anything else in life?

Dear XX,

I recently came across your horse Carrar on Dressage Daily, and he really caught my attention he looks like a perfect match for me ! My name is XXXXX XXXXX i am 16 years old, i live in Coral Springs Florida and i am training in XXXXXX XXXXXX florida with my trainer XXXXXX XXXXX ( former JR olympic bronze medalist) I am currently riding 3rd level but cant go any further because i do not have a horse to suite that ability to go up the levels. The past 4 months i have been sending out sponsorship letters to try and some how get my own horse that can go up the levels with me, I am emailing you to ask you if you would be interested in donating your horse to me so i can achieve my dreams and goals. i promise this would be a great decision !

goals for this year are to show 3rd and 4th level , and work my way up to the Jr Olympics. **

entire paragraph about trainers foundation which would just be too much information about her to publish without her consent so I deleted it.

* i hope you can consider this email,

thanks for your time
    XXXXXX XXXXXX

Did you reply, thanking her for sharing her twisted sense of humour?

The only thing I find excusable about this is that she's 16.. strike it up to the boldness of youth

Be flattered...and say that you have a sale pending!

I had a similar inquiry the first & second years of the Brentina Cup at Gladstone - a YR wanted to 'borrow' my grand prix stallion, 'train' him with her trainer and compete him on the West Coast. I said thank you but no as any showing & training would be done here at my farm. Plain and simple...he didn't need to have that type of life.

But it is not unusual, really.

BTW - by JR Olympics does this person mean the NAYRC?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

He/she has brass cojones - you don't get unless you ask. However that's not quite the way to go about it ! I think you are meant to be flatterd by the attention, and immdiately make an investment in the future of this self serving, entitled, rude individual. After all it is about THEM.

Well, I guess you could consider that if she didn't ask, she would never know if you would donate your horse to her.... If you don't pick her, would you consider me? Pretty please - she sounds perfect for me!
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.” – John Wayne

I got one too. It went into my round file. Mine was a "he," so maybe she cut and pasted and then forgot to change the gender.

Ah, youth. Ever hopeful and often audacious beyond reason.

I would tell the girl that the horse is already on her way to the barn and that she should hurry there and wait for the mares arrival.

Bellfleur is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Justmy style
    Jeez why didn't I think of saying that. Just think I could have told her she had to meet me there at 3am! TEE HEE

Actually my reply was exceptionally blunt and as rude as I considered her request. She did not even ask to Borrow the mare I should DONATE IT TO HER.

I cannot believe I am actually taking my time to respond but maybe it will help you. I doubt it but..........

This hardly deserves an answer but NO. I do not donate my horses to anyone much less an expensive top FEI prospect.

First of all, I find this e-mail request incredibly unprofessional, quite obnoxious and incredibly rude.

Please explain to me why I should care if YOU ACHIEVE YOUR DREAMS AND GOALS?? Do, please do enlighten me. I should care why?

Do some research i.e. WORK!

SPONSORSHIP requests are filled with what specifically you could do for ME. They are NOT about how I can help you. There are actually published books on the subject. Try reading a few.

However, you need a good command of the English language accomplish this goal. From your e-mail it does not look like you have that either! Get your English teacher at school help you with that too and THEN WORK AT IT.

If you want a top competition horse you should actually work for one. I did, as have most of the people that have made it to the top. People that are given things are RARELY successful at riding. Riding well takes WORK. PERIOD.

You should actually read the ads too before you send out e-mails to people asking them to give you expensive horses. Carrara is a MARE! Carrara is a SHE not a HE. See English teacher as per above for increased reading comprehension skills.

I know you will hate this e-mail but it hopefully it will give you the kick in the butt you need to really accomplish something in your life.

I do help sponsor two young ladies, both have worked the butts off for me AND had Young Rider Gold Medals to show for their work PRIOR to working for me! PLUS they did hours and hours of work for me at no cost to me with NO expectation of the opportunity.

Find a top trainer or breeder and go to work and only expect the opportunity to LEARN not to get given anything for free. Life just does not work that way, at least not yet!
    Last edited by Bellfleur; Nov. 12, 2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling

I wonder if her coach knows? It might be fun to send on her email and see what kind of reaction you get!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Tasker View Post
    Be flattered...and say that you have a sale pending!

I had a similar inquiry the first & second years of the Brentina Cup at Gladstone - a YR wanted to 'borrow' my grand prix stallion, 'train' him with her trainer and compete him on the West Coast. I said thank you but no as any showing & training would be done here at my farm. Plain and simple...he didn't need to have that type of life.

But it is not unusual, really.

BTW - by JR Olympics does this person mean the NAYRC?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    Juniors can ride stallions, I am from H/J world and they can't. The only "junior" type class they can ride a stallion in is the USET (or now known as the USEF Talent Search) which allows riders to compete up to 21 yrs of age, hence the over 18 year olds can ride stallions. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    He/she has brass cojones - you don't get unless you ask. However that's not quite the way to go about it ! I think you are meant to be flatterd by the attention, and immdiately make an investment in the future of this self serving, entitled, rude individual. After all it is about THEM.
    I give the kids credit, yes, but if you are working with such a well know trainer then maybe you should quietly and discretely work with said trainer to get a client of theirs to "sponsor" you a horse. I am NOT opposed to the idea, just that you don't cold call out on the interenet to every nice "for sale" horse. Doesn't seem like the best tactic.

That sounds harsh! I do agree that sponsorships are not handed out and it is a what can you do for me sorta thing. It is probably good to learn that early on.

Default reply

Callow youth! A blunt reply might help this girl rethink how she is going about achieving her dreams. She seems to lack any sort of mentor or adult influence. In a way, knocking her on her butt may be sort of a public service. Think of it as your contribution to the future of the sport.
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog
    BTBbrowbands.com
    Unique browbands for dressage and hunter riders

It's just another blatant example of the "entitlement" so many young people seem think they should have. I see so many parents handing their kids so much or being expected to do so much without even a "thank you". It is appalling and I know it doesn't apply everywhere, but it seems to be more prevalent in today's youth than in the past.
    PennyG

It's just a scam. Delete it and forget it. I remember when this exact same email went around a couple years ago and somebody else posted it here on the dressage board.

Maybe her daddy works for AIG, or another recipient of the bailout.

Heck, it worked for them, right?

Even if it is a scam - why bother writing back such a rude email? The delete key is easy to use. I probably would have sent back a "Good luck with your goals, but I can't help you." email, and not berated her.

There was a local YR in my neck of the woods that was constantly sending mass emails asking for either a horse or $$ for sponsorship. It irritated me, especially since I knew how well they *didn't* take care of their horses...used 'em up, and threw 'em away.

You've got to give the kid credit for trying - however, the first clue should have been "my name is XXX and I am 16 years old..." Apparently her parents gave her the memo that reads something along the lines of Americans have the idea they can live beyond their means. So this enterprising 16 y/o decided to seek sponsorships including the donation of a quality horse so that she could live within her means and still achieve her goals... I would not take email too seriously unless a person really wanted to help this child out

Tell her you already donated the horse to me!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues