The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ooh hey, check this out: Jockey Club check-off program at foal registration

Found in the BloodHorse: Checkoff Program to benefit Thoroughbred Charities of America, Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation
    excerpted from linked article:

When Thoroughbred owners and breeders in North America submit their foal registration applications on or after Jan. 1, 2009, they will be able to participate in a voluntary checkoff program, created and administered by The Jockey Club, which will assist [Thoroughbred Charities of America and the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation]...

Thoroughbred breeders will have the option of selecting one of four graduated amounts ($25, $50, $75, or $100) to be designated for these Thoroughbred aftercare programs or they can fill in the amount of their choice on the Application for Foal Registration form...

As an incentive to encourage participation, The Jockey Club will match the checkoff on a dollar-to-dollar basis up to $200,000 in 2009.
    Granted, $200,000 is something of a trifle amount when one takes into account the scope of the entire issue at hand, but it's a step in the right direction from the old boys club. I'll take it!

I believe I did something like this when registering my yearlings for the sale...a portion of the selling price going to a rescue, etc... shoot, now I'll have to find the entry form!

Drat, when I saw the headline I was really hoping you were going to say there was a box to check off if we would take the horse back if he/she ever needed a home.

Call me cynical but I've seen some well-known TB retirement groups that I wouldn't donate a penny to--no point in paying for more perks and first class travel by the administrators. So without knowing where and how the money will be spent, I'm afraid I won't be donating.

Great start to a much-needed and long-overdue issue, but super SUPER poor delivery. Great that they are working with TCA, as they distribute to the groups who are actually actively placing horses, but I find it short-sighted and just plain disappointing that they are donating to only TRF directly and not any of the other groups that are out there BUSTING their butts to help Thoroughbreds.
    What about MAHR? Exceller? Re-Run? CANTER? AC4H? ETC?

Ugh. How utterly disappointing, disheartening and just...meh.

Painfully inadequate, I know...but then I never thought I'd see the day when there would be any sort of TB retirement consideration coming directly from the JC at all.

bump

I donate a painting every year to the TCA auction that takes place (this year) December 5. It is a great organization that supports many, many different rescues, not just for Thoroughbreds. And a huge portion of donations (something like .97 on the dollar) goes directly to the charities, one of which is Canter.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

I'd be THRILLED if they put ALL of the money with TCA or Blue Horse--they do their due diligence and ensure that money is distributed equitably, they are an amazing groups and I tell people all the time to donate to them--that way even a small donation can benefit ALL Thoroughbreds in this country by many many groups working very hard to ensure they are transitioned into new homes.

Let me add New Vocations to the list of people working tirelessly helping OTTBs!

I just feel that it is short-sighted to segregate one specific group.

Here is a list of the charities TCA supports:

http://www.thoroughbredcharities.org/groups.html
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
    Drat, when I saw the headline I was really hoping you were going to say there was a box to check off if we would take the horse back if he/she ever needed a home.

Call me cynical but I've seen some well-known TB retirement groups that I wouldn't donate a penny to--no point in paying for more perks and first class travel by the administrators. So without knowing where and how the money will be spent, I'm afraid I won't be donating.
    Laurie, once again we're on the same page. I have had the same experience and consequently have the same issue with this check-off.

Just to make myself really clear--I love that they are involving TCA, that is awesome. But splitting money between TCA and a TRF? oof.

I'm probably the only one who is going to cut off my nose to spite my face here, but the amount of emails and PM's I've gotten tell me i'm not the only one going WHAT?? about this. I hope those people will let the Jockey Club know their feelings.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what's in store for Blue Horse now that Hettinger is gone and Fasig-Tipton is under new ownership? I hope that it will get more support rather than less but hadn't heard anything about its future plans in recent months.

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    Just to make myself really clear--I love that they are involving TCA, that is awesome. But splitting money between TCA and a TRF? oof.

I'm probably the only one who is going to cut off my nose to spite my face here, but the amount of emails and PM's I've gotten tell me i'm not the only one going WHAT?? about this. I hope those people will let the Jockey Club know their feelings.
    I don't have a problem with this development, TCA will distribute the funds to all the orgs they know will use it wisely. Unstead of the JC monitoring it and having no real knowledge.

Plus, TRF has an excellent reputation and more race industry people will likely sign up to for name they know quite well, rather than asking WTF is ___ (fill in the blank) Horse Rescue.

I think it's great.

I thought the same thing you did, LaurieB. That they'd print right on the papers that "X" can be contacted upon the horse's injury or retirement and will assume possession of the horse if unwanted.

They've already got the NTRA "checkoff" program with the registration application.

I suppose in theory it's a good thing, but odds are astronomical that it'll actually help the horse on whose application the "checkoff" is checked off. Not to mention the cost the JC is assuming in starting up this program and overseeing it.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Calista Guest

I’ve been lurking here for a while, but this one has made me come out of the shadows! Though I like the concept of the check off fund, obviously, I have issues with who is receiving and distributing the funds. In general, both TCA and TRF serve a great number of horses. By sheer volume alone, they are outstanding groups. However…and, yes, I’m going to take the plunge here…I question how the money would be used by both TCA and TRF. Sorry to the unquestioning fans of these two groups, but I’m just being honest. TRF is a little too much about the money and the power than about the horses, IMHO. I’ve heard stories that suggest they don’t “play nice” with other rescues. They are a little too politically connected to just a few too many multi-millionaires…er...billionaires… to make me feel comfortable with their integrity.

However, TRF is all TBs, and that is what this fund is for; the retirement of Thoroughbred racehorses. And it is being funded by TB breeders/owners, so the monies should not be handled by TCA, which gives to a lot of non-TB programs and often to non-horse/racing industry programs (e.g., God’s Pantry Food Bank). Perhaps they should change their name to Equine Charities of America or Equine and Other Board Members’ Pet Projects of America.

Sorry if I’m angering many of you, but I really don’t think the money raised by these funds will get to only TBs if TRF and TCA are the primary recipients and proprietors of the funds.

According to The Jockey Club's announcement, money provided to TCA would go ONLY to the Thoroughbed retirement/retraining efforts it supports, not the others.

As for TRF, I've heard grumbling about them, but I've never really seen or heard anything specific, just vague rumblings of dissatisfaction. What's the issue, exactly? I've dealt with them over the last five years or so on a couple of adoptions and haven't had any trouble or seen anything I'd consider inappropriate, so I'm curious to get hard facts on the problems people seem to have with them. Has there been evidence of misappropriation of funds or anything like that? Are they listed on any of those things that show what percentage of donations goes to "the cause"? Maybe that would give some answers.

Hmmm...now my curiosity is piqued! I've heard stuff here and there about both, but don't have any evidence or even first-hand knowledge to go by, so...????
    Last edited by COinNJ; Nov. 14, 2008 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtilleryHill View Post
    According to The Jockey Club's announcement, money provided to TCA would go ONLY to the Thoroughbed retirement/retraining efforts it supports, not the others.

As for TRF, I've heard grumbling about them, but I've never really seen or heard anything specific, just vague rumblings of dissatisfaction. What's the issue, exactly? I've dealt with them over the last five years or so on a couple of adoptions and haven't had any trouble or seen anything I'd consider inappropriate, so I'm curious to get hard facts on the problems people seem to have with them. Has there been evidence of misappropriation of funds or anything like that? Are they listed on any of those things that show what percentage of donations goes to "the cause"? Maybe that would give some answers.
    Here you go, rated by this group and received their highest ratings (4 stars is top rating but I now see 3 stars?) for sound fiscal management: http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=8762

"Charity Navigator, the largest charity evaluator in America, cited the TRF's "ability to efficiently allocate and grow its finances" in announcing the rating. Its executive director, Trent Stamp, went on to say, that "less than quarter of the charities we've rated have received our highest rating, indicating that Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation outperforms most charities in America in its efforts to operate in the most fiscally responsible way possible...." http://www.equestrianmag.com/news/tr...ward-3-06.html

Calista Guest

“According to The Jockey Club's announcement, money provided to TCA would go ONLY to the Thoroughbed retirement/retraining efforts it supports, not the others.”

And who, exactly, is going to make sure this happens? Is someone going to be reviewing their books and ensuring that each groups’ accounting is correct? They wouldn’t let anyone near their books. And besides, they’re both so much in bed with the racing industry’s top and richest brass, for lack of a better term, that no one’s going to question their integrity. That’s why very little is publicly known about the “bedroom” activities of the TRF and TCA.

Quote Originally Posted by Calista View Post
    “According to The Jockey Club's announcement, money provided to TCA would go ONLY to the Thoroughbed retirement/retraining efforts it supports, not the others.”

And who, exactly, is going to make sure this happens? Is someone going to be reviewing their books and ensuring that each groups’ accounting is correct? They wouldn’t let anyone near their books...
    Suunds like I'm really defending TRF, and I don't have first hand TRF knowledge.

But all 501(c)3 orgs MUST make their annual reports (detailing their income and spending) available to the public. A copy of the foundation's latest annual report may be obtained, upon request, from the organization or from the Office of the Attorney General, Charities Bureau, 120 Broadway, New York, NY 10271.