The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Stocking Stuffer - Hooper is ready for his Home

~~Another hopeful spin off from our Secret Santa Rescue thread~~

A wonderful pony is ready for a wonderful home:
    Hooper came to USERL as an unhandled adult pony. He was starved and scared. Hooper has turned into a beauty. He will need to go to a home that can continue working with him on his training and trust issues.

Please see Hooper's pretty pictures on USERL - Tidewater webpage
    http://www.freewebs.com/userl-tidewa...tershorses.htm

Or contact DVM2003 for more information on how you can bring Hooper home for Christmas!

bump back to page 1

Some additional info would be helpful (and I didn't see it on the website so forgive me if I overlooked it).

What is his height? Approximate age? Current level of training? Rider level needed?

What is the adoption fee?

How does he behave for handling/grooming/tacking up? How is he for farrier? Vet? Clipping?

Does he trailer?

He's certainly attractive - not sure that he'd be right for my timid 8 yr old niece, but hopefully for someone!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Thanks for your inquiry! And all good questions -
    please pm Dr. Lombardi - COTH name DVM2003 - for more information about Hooper or give her a call (I've pm'd her phone number to you )

Blackstallion

Hi there - did you ever find out anything more on this adorable fellow???

(trying to give you a not-so-subtle bump)

Oldenmare

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Smile

The SS Elf Team is on this!!
    We will get all the goods on Hooper and get right back to you!

Default Hooper

Hooper is a beautiful grey pony - I think he's about 7 years old and approximately 13-14 hands (but I'll have to check).

He came to the rescue starved and unhandled. There are some pretty amazing pics on the SS thread of before and after.

He is trained on the ground, but has not been broke to ride. Due to his past he is somewhat untrusting, but not mean.

He would need a home with handlers that are experienced. He will not be an easy project.

He was sedated for farrier visits, but as far as I know now does ok with the farrier as long as they are patient.

He loves his vet (me but is not fond of needles. He is pretty easy to bribe with treats for vet work

Let me know if there are other questions...he currently resides at a foster in Isle of Wight County Virginia.

bumping for Hooper!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Question

Dr. Lombardi,
    who can folks contact if they have additional questions about Hooper or any of the horses and ponies available for adoption? email/phone ?
    Thanks!!

I'm totally in love with him....

Hey, since you didn't list a price, does that mean he's free?????? I could maybe afford him then!!!!

The Oldenmare loves ponies - and she needs a turnout buddy......

YOU NEED THIS PONY!!! Really. Think of it as giving the Oldenmare a wonderful holiday present!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Default Hooper inquiries

You can email me (ksudvm03@yahoo.com) and I'll get it to the correct person.

Horses do not need to remain in North Carolina or Virginia, but the adopter must visit the horse in person, and a site visit has to be done to the adoptors property or boarding barn.

Info on adopting can be found at www.userl.org

Cathy

Smile

Thanks!!!!! Cathy

Oldenmare - you KNOW she's been a GOOD GIRL all year long! She must have a pony in her stocking this Christmas!!! Think of all the fun you'll have watching this gorgeous fellow.

Your timid neice really really really needs to find IRISH under here tree
    Irish specializes in 8 year old little girls.

USERL SS Elf Team

oooh, i like snickers!!!!! hmm..... hmmmmm.......

good luck with the hooper pony man! he's adorable too!!!

FA-
    Did you see Snickers picture??? He's super cute. A beautiful chocolate color - that looks like he got peppered with bird crap....very adorable!

He was basically unhandled when he got to the foster home. It took the trainer about 20 mins to catch him in the stall the day I went to geld him.

He now comes up to the front of the stall when you walk by for loving.

I think he's going to make a great horse for someone!

bird crap!!! that's a hoot i was thinking bleach... but you know... bird crap works too

so.... not that i NEED another appy.... not by any stretch but... what is the situation with him? I couldn't quite figure it out by the website, but.. i'm also going on hour 80 in one week so.... that might be why..... like...is he for sale? do you know his breeding?

argh.. the only thing is my current app is apparently now aggressive to other geldings...he's okay with his girls, but... just not tolerates my boarder horse but they are NOT turned out together... too bad he's not a filly...that would be so much easier....

hmmmm........

hee hee... bird crap

LOL - you people are BAAADDDDD!!!

And actually, the Oldenmare has had her moments this year and should probably get a stocking full of coal (ha- like that would ever happen).... did I mention she IS a red mare????? Who is spoiled way beyond rotten.

Still thinking about visiting Hooper - only about 2 hrs from Richmond - he is quite adorable and I am always open to a project.... am sure the barn would pass inspection (12x12 stalls, centaur fencing, good hay, nelson water heaters)....

Of course, my sister would KILL me - but that only adds to the appeal of the pony.....

I can't link to the email from work - but you can have the contact person reach me at oldenmare@yahoo.com (how is that for being passive??? NOT).....

Nice plug for Irish - but since the niece is currently riding my 22yr old TB mare and thinks she is too big (okay - she IS 16.2h & the brat isn't 5' yet!)... but she has expressed a desire for a pony....

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by oldenmare View Post
    LOL - you people are BAAADDDDD!!!
    Of course, my sister would KILL me - but that only adds to the appeal of the pony.....
    And you said the Oldenmare was bad

Ahhhh, blackstallion, don't you know that horses take after their owners and vice-versa????? I'm also a red mare, so to speak!!!

Never did hear anything back about him - oh, well, he's very very cute but after reading the adoption info, not sure that I want to commit to those guidelines...